Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Struggling to see where this love for the Bulldogs is coming from...we beat them twice last year, and they've lost Dunkley who I thought was their most consistent player last year.

Their forward line. Listen to the 'experts' and they all wax lyrical about their talls.

I'll add fuel to the fire and bookmark this page. A grand total of three of the 12 'experts' writing in the Age have picked us to make finals, the same number as gold coast. Five of them have highlighted us as their prediction for the team most on the slide.

I'm going to have a lot of fun with this come September if things work out as we expect
Struggling to see where this love for the Bulldogs is coming from...we beat them twice last year, and they've lost Dunkley who I thought was their most consistent player last year.
This is the thing that gets me a bit, without being able to read that article, I assume all or most of the "experts" have the Dogs staying in the 8. They lost their best two-way mid, picked up Jones, a b-grade defender and Lobb who as far as I'm concerned, was a worthless addition to an already very tall forwardline.

AND, they only scraped in because Carlton pulled a Carlton. If we are supposed to slide for "reasons", then I fail to see the reason Dogs should be better. It's because Dogs are from Vic and they think Bailey Smith is a lot better than he actually is (the dude makes Acres disposal look elite).

Whatever, it's all irrelevant and they prove and jokingly admit they have no idea what they are talking about anyway

ah, the experts and their "predictions". Go and have a look back at the AFL'S crystal ball predictions for last year, 2022. Most of them didn't even have Geelong making the 8. Many of them had Port and the Bulldogs in their top 4s, top 2s - even the Bullies winning a flag.

I really wouldn't pay much credence to it all, I know it's annoying...I know it's mega-frustrating. But it's hardly to be unexpected.

They didn't think we'd make the 8 last year, or amass 15 wins, especially off the back of how young our team has been. They would have been genuinely shook up by that.

Then you factor in we lost Lobb, or more like he walked out on his contract (yes I know he's not the only one that's done this, some coming to Freo...) and him being our highest goalscorer in 2022 with his 36 probably gives them their angle to shitcan us again and predict our slide. After all, where will all our goals possibly come from, what with Fyfe's yips and Tabs constant injury interruptions. Some of that's a fair call, but I think we're looking to improve across the entire field, not just kicking more goals - which is still an obvious priority.

One day, I really hope we get to hear King's dribbling excuses if we've won it, they'll be some disguised saltiness that will be a joy to hear them back-peddle with or muddy the waters as we get reigning plaudits for our 'unbelievable moment'. We shall see then who has the last laugh......

This is the thing that gets me a bit, without being able to read that article, I assume all or most of the "experts" have the Dogs staying in the 8. They lost their best two-way mid, picked up Jones, a b-grade defender and Lobb who as far as I'm concerned, was a worthless addition to an already very tall forwardline.

AND, they only scraped in because Carlton pulled a Carlton. If we are supposed to slide for "reasons", then I fail to see the reason Dogs should be better. It's because Dogs are from Vic and they think Bailey Smith is a lot better than he actually is (the dude makes Acres disposal look elite).

Whatever, it's all irrelevant and they prove and jokingly admit they have no idea what they are talking about anyway
It's an interactive article so I can't cut and paste it.
For those interested 9 of the 12 'experts' have the bulldogs making the 8.
The 12 predictions for Freo are
2 x 6th
1 x 7th
2 x 9th
5 x 10th
1 x 11th
1 x 13th

2 x 6th
1 x 7th
2 x 9th
5 x 10th
1 x 11th
1 x 13th
13th is just ******* stupid, which dickhead said that.

serenity GIF

Why do you see us missing finals and how is this not a failure?

I never said it wouldn’t be a failure! It could be… but you’d have to appraise that at the end of the year about HOW we missed out. A year of playing like we did when we lost to st kilda in round two, and I’d want to rip my eyeballs out! But a bunch of near misses, unfortunately timed injuries, etc. I may be able to look at it in another way. MAY.

Crystal ball gazing, yeah, I can see why we’d drop out. (Not saying we will, I just don’t know! I’m not bullish either way) Unproven forward line, relying on two key position players, Fyfe and Pearce, who haven’t had great luck with injuries. A really tough draw. A young team. Other teams improving that bit more than us. These are all valid reasons. You don’t have to believe it, but it’s all just guess work and media fluff right now to chat about. And the valid points don’t bother me. But saying we’re going to suck because our defence is suspect without griffin logue is just an embarrassingly garbage argument. Sure if Pearce and cox are injured then we’re kind of stuffed, but you can say the same about Carlton that everyone is salivating about… how will they do without weitering?! You can have those sh*t arguments all day long.

Jon Pierik
I have no idea who that ******* is but I am petty enough to spam him come September for his basically disrespectful take.

I'd be putting that prediction in the changerooms for the whole year if I was JL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jon Pierik emails to spam at the end of the year
I never said it wouldn’t be a failure! It could be… but you’d have to appraise that at the end of the year about HOW we missed out. A year of playing like we did when we lost to st kilda in round two, and I’d want to rip my eyeballs out! But a bunch of near misses, unfortunately timed injuries, etc. I may be able to look at it in another way. MAY.

Crystal ball gazing, yeah, I can see why we’d drop out. (Not saying we will, I just don’t know! I’m not bullish either way) Unproven forward line, relying on two key position players, Fyfe and Pearce, who haven’t had great luck with injuries. A really tough draw. A young team. Other teams improving that bit more than us. These are all valid reasons. You don’t have to believe it, but it’s all just guess work and media fluff right now to chat about. And the valid points don’t bother me. But saying we’re going to suck because our defence is suspect without griffin logue is just an embarrassingly garbage argument. Sure if Pearce and cox are injured then we’re kind of stuffed, but you can say the same about Carlton that everyone is salivating about… how will they do without weitering?! You can have those sh*t arguments all day long.
Sums it up perfectly

The best of the Age bet hedging is from Jake Niall - to summarise "Freo's best is good enough to win the flag but I am not sure how often they can produce it. Prediction: 9th."
That's quite clever really - gives him the chance to pump up as many Vic teams as possible in his top 8, but when we win the flag he can say see, I told you they were good enough

When the same sort of people are asked why they didn't include a particular player in the All Australian side they answer with "who do you leave out" and that's why Freo isn't picked for the top eight. They want the Blues in.
my god, the shock of it all

Nick Jonas Wow GIF by Jonas Brothers

Does anyone mention that if Collingwood has their running game even slightly stifled then those very close games they just snuck across the line on are inverted and they potentially end up bottom ten.
Caro does, she has them as her big slider to finish 10th. She's one of only that two have Collingwood missing the eight

2 x 6th
1 x 7th
2 x 9th
5 x 10th
1 x 11th
1 x 13th
To be fair, it’s bloody hard to predict the top 8 this year - there’s 11 teams I consider:
Brisbane, Geelong, Melbourne, Sydney, Carlton, Collingwood, Freo, Dogs, Port, Richmond, Gold Coast.

when you work on the basis that statistically there are a couple of changes every year, you need to drop at least 2 out.

brisbane, Melbourne and Geelong seem set for the 8 again.

reckon Carlton have to be in this year.

I’ve got doubts about Richmond (but they recruited well), Collingwood (but they’re a young side so should get better) and maybe Sydney after such a thrashing (but again, young side should improve), and dogs (just not convinced).

I can understand why people would question our ability to score, and coupled with a very tough draw, would predict a small slide this year before rising next season. Personally I think we make the 8 though.

To be fair, it’s bloody hard to predict the top 8 this year - there’s 11 teams I consider:
Brisbane, Geelong, Melbourne, Sydney, Carlton, Collingwood, Freo, Dogs, Port, Richmond, Gold Coast.

when you work on the basis that statistically there are a couple of changes every year, you need to drop at least 2 out.

I’ve got doubts about Richmond (but they recruited well), Collingwood (but they’re a young side so should get better) and maybe Sydney after such a thrashing (but again, young side should improve), and dogs (just not convinced).

I can understand why people would question our ability to score, and coupled with a very tough draw, would predict a small slide this year before rising next season. Personally I think we make the 8 though.

Classic Tv Nostalgia GIF by Sony Pictures Television

1678681432067.png

Collingwood isn't a young side. They have like 4 notable young players and the majority of the remainder played in their 2018 GF.

Their B&F last year. Top 5 were
Crisp 29
Pendles 35
Moore 27
Howe 30
Sidebottom 32

The only actual "young" sides in the finals last year were us and the Dogs. Sydney has a lot of quality youth but also reliance on older players.

Edit: what Lach72 said.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back