Mega Thread 2024 Media & Miscellaneous Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The HPN data guys have us finishing 8th this season.

Geez that goals/inside 50 stat is putrid. I knew our attack was average but bottom 2 in that stinks.

Geez that goals/inside 50 stat is putrid. I knew our attack was average but bottom 2 in that stinks.
I think it's also an easy thing to fix up, just like we fixed our goal kicking the year before as a team.

Much harder to generate more inside 50's to get to a winning score if you are already having a dream run with converting I50 into scores.

I think it's also an easy thing to fix up, just like we fixed our goal kicking the year before as a team.

Much harder to generate more inside 50's to get to a winning score if you are already having a dream run with converting I50 into scores.
Bring back the Zooper goals!

I think it relates a bit to what was raised in another thread in that Longmuir has been a bit defensive previously and natural progression should help take care of some improvement too. Selecting players who are more dangerous up forward will help for sure. We essentially rocked out 3 defensively minded forwards last year with Schultz, Switta and Banfield. Banfield is clearly being replaced by a combo of Treacy/Fyfe/Sturt etc so there's an improvement. If Switta and Schultz can become more dangerous around goal that'll be a huge help. I think both have the potential for it. Any further improvement from Freddy will be an added bonus. Hard to see us not improving quite a bit in my opinion.

According to Gerard Healy in this video, we were the slowest team for ball movement last season which seems crazy to me. I know we weren't quick by any stretch of the imagination but it never really got to Ross levels of chipping around. The flipside of that is that we were 6th best for efficiency.

I enjoyed seeing a very relaxed and jovial RTB on Footy Classified last night. The pressure seems totally off him at present, which is probably due to the length of their injury list at the moment.

He says his side has speed in the midfield and that’s what he’ll be focusing on using against us.

I’ve never seen him so relaxed and light hearted though.

Will Schofield: Fremantle Dockers will finish in the top four and challenge for a maiden premiership in 2023​

Rock solid defence, excellent mid-field and a thriving Nat Fyfe up forward. WILL SCHOFIELD is predicting big things for Freo this year.

3 min read
March 16, 2023 - 9:00AM
Will Schofield believes Fremantle have the team to win the flag in 2023. Picture: James Worsfold/AFL Photos/via Getty Images

Will Schofield believes Fremantle have the team to win the flag in 2023. Picture: James Worsfold/AFL Photos/via Getty Images
Flagmantle.

It was real last year and it’s real again this year. Fremantle can win the premiership this season.

When I cast my eye across the league, I look for the teams with the best chance of improving, those who will likely stay the same and those destined to go backwards.
I have Collingwood, St. Kilda, Greater Western Sydney and Essendon going backwards from their 2022 performances.
I have Brisbane and Melbourne holding their strong form.
And I have among the sides set to improve: West Coast, Richmond, Western Bulldogs and, the strongest of all, Fremantle. The Dockers enter 2023 with lots of boxes ticked in the quest for the club’s maiden premiership.
Their game plan is based on strong team defence. I know fast, attacking football is all the rage off the back of what Geelong, Collingwood and Brisbane achieved last year, but good teams can all defend.

Fremantle set up well behind the ball, they lock the ball in their front half and even their ball movement supports the way they defend.
Sure, their scoring was low at stages last season, but strangling the opposition into submission gets the job done when the business end of the season comes around.
Fremantle boasts a terrific backline which will only get better this year. Senior players, led by new skipper Alex Pearce, win contests and generate intercept possession while their younger backmen will improve with another 12 months under their belts – Hayden Young, Heath Chapman, Jordan Clark and Brandon Walker among them.
The Dockers’ midfield reminds me of a young Melbourne midfield from a few years back. Exciting high-end talent, with strong contested ball-winning ability, led by one of the league’s best tap ruckmen.
Sean Darcy is poised to jump into the elite level of ruckmen this season, if he isn’t there already. And, scarily, he’ll have some support in the form of Luke Jackson – and that kid can play. Then there’s Andrew Brayshaw, league MVP last year and one of the Brownlow favourites, Caleb Serong, who will get better, Will Brodie, who will see more game time, and Jaeger O’Meara filling the gap left by David Mundy.

Nathan O’Driscoll showed glimpses of elite wing play last year and, in my view, is a smokey to be most improved player for the Dockers this season as he steps into a full-time role on the wing vacated by Blake Acres.
I believe the engine room at Fremantle is as good as any in the AFL and that their ability to impact the scoreboard this season will go a long way to ensuring a top four finish.
Freo doesn’t enter the season without some questions, but that could be said of every team. In their case, I am confident they have the answers.
Given that their strength is team defence, the biggest challenge to overcome lies at the front half of the ground. How can they kick a winning score every week? Will their forward line function?
They won’t be a Geelong, Richmond or Carlton with two big key forwards kicking a lot of their goals. Freo will need to do it by committee – but that suits the way they play.

We saw a small glimpse in the only pre-season action against Port Adelaide.
Defend and counter-attack to space with multiple avenues to goal.
High pressure around the ball as teams exit.
And connection between midfielders and forwards will be important.
But the ace in the hand is someone all AFL fans know and respect: Nat Fyfe.
Let me tell you, as a forward, he is the real deal.
I watched Fyfe closely in the pre-season, effectively isolating him throughout a quarter and observing and watching how he moved as a forward.
He looked great. He looked like a key forward.
It wasn’t just what he did around the ball, but his off the ball movement, his reaction to play up the field, his positioning against his opposition marker.
I could barely fault it.

Fyfe will cause some serious issues for opposition backmen this season as a full time forward. I think he kicks 40 plus goals quite easily.
He will need the support of others to do so, though, from players like Matt Taberner, Josh Treacy, Sam Switkowski, Lachie Shultz and Michael Walters. Darcy and Jackson should both spend time down there, too, as resting rucks.
On paper, those names stack up against good teams.
Fremantle missed the top four by half a game last year after a late Collingwood goal in the final match of the season.
But they weren’t ready to win it all last year.
They had some missing pieces.
They are ready this year.
I have the Fremantle Dockers finishing second on the ladder, challenging for a premiership, their first ever.
The cup is there for the taking if they want it badly enough.

Schofield's take on Freo was interesting and unusually reasonable. The long time Freo supporter in me is very wary of such positive thoughts so I will just cross my fingers and hope he is around the mark with his assessment of our prospects for 2023.

As Mike Tyson once said "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" meaning everything often looks good until the pressure is applied. Hopefully we can handle the pressure.

I think it relates a bit to what was raised in another thread in that Longmuir has been a bit defensive previously and natural progression should help take care of some improvement too. Selecting players who are more dangerous up forward will help for sure. We essentially rocked out 3 defensively minded forwards last year with Schultz, Switta and Banfield. Banfield is clearly being replaced by a combo of Treacy/Fyfe/Sturt etc so there's an improvement. If Switta and Schultz can become more dangerous around goal that'll be a huge help. I think both have the potential for it. Any further improvement from Freddy will be an added bonus. Hard to see us not improving quite a bit in my opinion.
Our forward line structure changes immensely with Fye playing up forward, He will attract most times the best back man. With that happening, it leaves Taberner open more often. And Fyfe will play the forward line like he does the mid role.Plenty of hard body on the opposition, makiing our small forward even more potent. More scoring chances.
Also with Jackson playing a lot up there give Taberner even more room.
A lot will rely on how much our small forwards present with thebig forwards bringing the ball to ground and providing cover for them.
A totally different structure than what we have seen in pastseasons.

I enjoyed seeing a very relaxed and jovial RTB on Footy Classified last night. The pressure seems totally off him at present, which is probably due to the length of their injury list at the moment.

He says his side has speed in the midfield and that’s what he’ll be focusing on using against us.

I’ve never seen him so relaxed and light hearted though.
I think this is because they are bottom six this year and he'll get the chance to clean out the list. We should be winning by at least 6 goals.

Schofield's take on Freo was interesting and unusually reasonable. The long time Freo supporter in me is very wary of such positive thoughts so I will just cross my fingers and hope he is around the mark with his assessment of our prospects for 2023.

As Mike Tyson once said "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" meaning everything often looks good until the pressure is applied. Hopefully we can handle the pressure.
Ever since he played at Peel he's become a massive Freagle.

Incredible to read that Chapman was a pimply faced 14 year old when the Bulldogs won their 2016 flag (seems like yesterday).

Reminds you what a young man's caper elite sport really is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I posted this in the Henry/Sturty thread but it probably should go here...Anyone doubting the character of Colin Young should listen to the Gettable pod where that turd is their first guest. He tells the story of his first Free Agent when Quentin Lynch left WC for over east. He basically admits his client needs and desires are not his first thought or instinct.

For those that don't want to listen to the prick the quick version is that Young had started a conversation with Collingwood about Lynch and basically committed Lynch to them. Lynch them mentions he's had a chat to the Blues and was interested. Young says straight out he thinks how he's going to talk Lynch out of it because of what Young has already said to the Pies. No recognition at all about Lynch's desires, just the thought that he'd need to get him out of wanting to go to Carlton. Convinces Lynch to wait for the Blues offer which comes in low so they go with the Pies. No thought of renegotiating with the Blues to get his client where he wants, just happy he doesn't have to convince him to move.

If you keep Young on as your Manager after listening to that good luck to you. Maybe you don't care whether he has your best interests at heart because mostly his interests align with yours. I would though.

Henry has a snake in his corner and a snake that hates the team he's on. A snake that is also in the corner of his coach and his mentor in Sonny, so why would he think anything of it? The kid is getting bad advice from a snake and has no idea the snake is dangerous because 2 people he trusts have him too, along with many others here.

Henry should find someone else but he won't and it could hurt him. Longmuir should definitely find someone else because that snake is working against him in ever single other discussion he has with clients on our list.

I posted this in the Henry/Sturty thread but it probably should go here...Anyone doubting the character of Colin Young should listen to the Gettable pod where that turd is their first guest. He tells the story of his first Free Agent when Quentin Lynch left WC for over east. He basically admits his client needs and desires are not his first thought or instinct.

For those that don't want to listen to the prick the quick version is that Young had started a conversation with Collingwood about Lynch and basically committed Lynch to them. Lynch them mentions he's had a chat to the Blues and was interested. Young says straight out he thinks how he's going to talk Lynch out of it because of what Young has already said to the Pies. No recognition at all about Lynch's desires, just the thought that he'd need to get him out of wanting to go to Carlton. Convinces Lynch to wait for the Blues offer which comes in low so they go with the Pies. No thought of renegotiating with the Blues to get his client where he wants, just happy he doesn't have to convince him to move.

If you keep Young on as your Manager after listening to that good luck to you. Maybe you don't care whether he has your best interests at heart because mostly his interests align with yours. I would though.

Henry has a snake in his corner and a snake that hates the team he's on. A snake that is also in the corner of his coach and his mentor in Sonny, so why would he think anything of it? The kid is getting bad advice from a snake and has no idea the snake is dangerous because 2 people he trusts have him too, along with many others here.

Henry should find someone else but he won't and it could hurt him. Longmuir should definitely find someone else because that snake is working against him in ever single other discussion he has with clients on our list.
Yeah, he was almost starting to come off as reasonable until that story.

Slimy bastard

If Henry can't break into our b22 this year than is it really a loss? I hope we give him every opportunity to do so.

Yeah, he was almost starting to come off as reasonable until that story.

Slimy bastard
He's one charismatic slimeball, that's for sure. Knows exactly what to say and how almost every time, but every single person who ever doubts whether Colon is as bad as you think, just remember that Duffield absolutely despises that shithead.

As an agent, his number 1 goal is to maximise a clients monetary earnings, not their happiness because he doesnt get a cut of their happiness. Like Wobbly Punt said, that goal often aligns with a client, but there's a decent chunk of the time it doesnt.

Assume anything he says is bullshit if it remotely paints himself in a positive light.

Last edited:

To be fair, there must have been an extra dollar or two in the Collingwood deal for Colin.

Thx for that Wobbly.
WRT JL and Young, could the dictum, 'Keep your friends close and your enemies closer' apply?

Thx for that Wobbly.
WRT JL and Young, could the dictum, 'Keep your friends close and your enemies closer' apply?

It would if he hadn't already been so obviously working against the team's interests, and often the players as well. The players thing is on them but his obvious destructive bent toward us is something Longmuir should take on or take off from. Maybe he has after last year and has told Colin to be better or else. Last year didn't really hurt us that much and he can't do too much to us this year either but we'll see a bit with Henry at the end of this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back