2022/23 Melbourne Victory Thread - R.I.P OSM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brilliante has to go, Juric has to go, Ikonomidis has to go, Chapman has to go, Timotheou has to go. Broxham should be given a fitting farewell. Fornaroli can stay but can't be a starting striker.

Our back four is (on paper) good but our midfield doesn't even exist.

I don't think I've ever seen us play long balls like we're Stoke so often lately.

The current squad is so flawed in that the table doesn’t lie.

1. Acton. Backup keeper that proved when Izzo was out that he isn’t up to it. I think I would rather have a younger developing keeper as a number two.
2. Geria. Standard a-league quality full back that works hard getting up the pitch but has zero end product. He refuses to cross the ball. Kills a lot of forward plays around the box by passing backwards when he should be crossing the ball.
3. Cadete. Almost a carbon copy of Geria in that he has no end product. Only problem is that he isn’t as solid defensively. Loses concentration often. Personally I don’t think he is good enough to waste a foreign spot on him.
4. Rai Marchan. He was good last season but has had a trying season due to injuries. Clearly lost form. I wouldn’t be opposed if they wanted to replace him to open a foreign spot up for next season.
5. Da Silva. Looks good in limited showing thus far.
6. Broxham. Washed up and has been for years. Needed to retire 2 seasons ago.
7. Ikonomidis. One of the worst marquee players in the league. Victory need to find a way to dump his contract for last season. Maybe somewhere in Middle East or Asia.
8. Brillante. I’m fine for him to continue but he could be in transition for more of a rotation or bench player going forward.
9. Juric. Fit enough to play 10 minutes only. Should of been released long ago.
10. Fornaroli. For an ex City player, I don’t mind him. Works hard. As he is an Aussie and not taking up a foreign spot, happy for him to remain next season as a bench option.
11. Folami. Can look very good dribbling and attacking but another with no end product. He far too often runs into opposition defenders and coughs up the ball. He is the player that kills the most attacks with his decision making.
14. Chapman. Good signing. Can play both defense and midfield. So much better than Broxham.
15. Timotheu. Not up to standard. Should be released.
16. Nigro. Cheap backup full back. Is fine I guess. But is probably wondering why he came back to the club because he doesn’t get a game.
17. Nani. Too old and now has a major injury. The best thing is to reach an agreement for both parties to move on.
18. Kamau. I haven’t been impressed with his performances off the bench. Would rather not sign and just send him back after his loan ends.
19. Romero. Jury is still out. He should start for the rest of the season to see if he may be worthwhile to keep.
20. Izzo. Very good keeper. And a very clear upgrade over Kevala.
21. Miranda. Like Marchan was very good last season and has completely lost his confidence this season.
22. Brimmer. He’s good as a no. 10 but clearly couldn’t get along positionally on the field when Nani was playing. Was so much better when Nani was out of the lineup.
23. Konstandopoulos. Another one like Timotheu that isn’t up to standard. Needs to be released.
24. Velupillay. Like Folami, lacks decision making. Another one that likes to run into defenders without passing.
26. Brooks. Looks like he is on the way out. Has been overtaken by Adams.
28. Wilson. Nice find of the season. All energy. Should be trusted more and given starts.
29. Adams. Looks Ok as a prospect. Happy to persist.
30. Taleb. Promotion to no.2 role next season?
31. Bozinovski. I thought he looked fine when he played but clearly Popa doesn’t trust him. Fine as a 4th CB option.

Popa. I know the squad has let him down. Nani was a bust and losing DAgostino hurts but I’m surprised that he hasn’t done more things different. Too stubborn in his ways. Is a lot to blame for our the seasons gone. Starting to look like he won’t be here long term. Maybe one more season to see out his contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The current squad is so flawed in that the table doesn’t lie.

1. Acton. Backup keeper that proved when Izzo was out that he isn’t up to it. I think I would rather have a younger developing keeper as a number two.
2. Geria. Standard a-league quality full back that works hard getting up the pitch but has zero end product. He refuses to cross the ball. Kills a lot of forward plays around the box by passing backwards when he should be crossing the ball.
3. Cadete. Almost a carbon copy of Geria in that he has no end product. Only problem is that he isn’t as solid defensively. Loses concentration often. Personally I don’t think he is good enough to waste a foreign spot on him.
4. Rai Marchan. He was good last season but has had a trying season due to injuries. Clearly lost form. I wouldn’t be opposed if they wanted to replace him to open a foreign spot up for next season.
5. Da Silva. Looks good in limited showing thus far.
6. Broxham. Washed up and has been for years. Needed to retire 2 seasons ago.
7. Ikonomidis. One of the worst marquee players in the league. Victory need to find a way to dump his contract for last season. Maybe somewhere in Middle East or Asia.
8. Brillante. I’m fine for him to continue but he could be in transition for more of a rotation or bench player going forward.
9. Juric. Fit enough to play 10 minutes only. Should of been released long ago.
10. Fornaroli. For an ex City player, I don’t mind him. Works hard. As he is an Aussie and not taking up a foreign spot, happy for him to remain next season as a bench option.
11. Folami. Can look very good dribbling and attacking but another with no end product. He far too often runs into opposition defenders and coughs up the ball. He is the player that kills the most attacks with his decision making.
14. Chapman. Good signing. Can play both defense and midfield. So much better than Broxham.
15. Timotheu. Not up to standard. Should be released.
16. Nigro. Cheap backup full back. Is fine I guess. But is probably wondering why he came back to the club because he doesn’t get a game.
17. Nani. Too old and now has a major injury. The best thing is to reach an agreement for both parties to move on.
18. Kamau. I haven’t been impressed with his performances off the bench. Would rather not sign and just send him back after his loan ends.
19. Romero. Jury is still out. He should start for the rest of the season to see if he may be worthwhile to keep.
20. Izzo. Very good keeper. And a very clear upgrade over Kevala.
21. Miranda. Like Marchan was very good last season and has completely lost his confidence this season.
22. Brimmer. He’s good as a no. 10 but clearly couldn’t get along positionally on the field when Nani was playing. Was so much better when Nani was out of the lineup.
23. Konstandopoulos. Another one like Timotheu that isn’t up to standard. Needs to be released.
24. Velupillay. Like Folami, lacks decision making. Another one that likes to run into defenders without passing.
26. Brooks. Looks like he is on the way out. Has been overtaken by Adams.
28. Wilson. Nice find of the season. All energy. Should be trusted more and given starts.
29. Adams. Looks Ok as a prospect. Happy to persist.
30. Taleb. Promotion to no.2 role next season?
31. Bozinovski. I thought he looked fine when he played but clearly Popa doesn’t trust him. Fine as a 4th CB option.

Popa. I know the squad has let him down. Nani was a bust and losing DAgostino hurts but I’m surprised that he hasn’t done more things different. Too stubborn in his ways. Is a lot to blame for our the seasons gone. Starting to look like he won’t be here long term. Maybe one more season to see out his contract.

I think he's gone and he knows it! The fruiter should follow along side him too. Popa f@cked up got it horribly wrong and should pay the price with that with a good ass kicking out the door! But the fish also rots from the top and Del Pietro has now most liked led this club to two wooden spoons in three year and that's just plain unacceptable. Massive broom needed again with a focus on youth development this time, none of this keep recycling other club rejects that's been dogging us for years now and is painfully biting us. Otherwise this yoyo sh!t will just continue and more spoons will be filling up the cabinet.

Last edited:
Unless Con the fruiterer goes then nothing will change. I always thought Popa was one of the best Australian managers and I sort of still do, but this squad doesn't suit him. He's got an attacking team when he's a more defensive manager. The fruiterer and everyone else with their paws on the club will just keep making the same s**t decisions. Whoever signed players like Juric and even Nani have to be shown the door. I know Nani is meant to sell the entire league but being a club like Victory who have the pull of these players is a double edged sword because while they were superstars in their prime they rarely offer anything more than the typical visa player does. The club is rooted, I hate it so much right now and I can't even be bothered turning it on anymore. I can't wait until my membership payments stop. With my mortgage constantly going up my two memberships were among the first things I thought of to cancel. * them, they don't deserve it. Hopefully Bentleigh win their bid to join the second division.

Id want to see this team next season

----------------------Izzo-------------------

--Geria-------Da Silva----- Bozinovski-------New LB

--Brimmer-------New Quality CM-------Marchan

--Velupillay------Romero-------Folami

Bench

Acton
Nigro
Miranda
New youf CB
Kadete
Brilliante
Chapman
Wilson
Adams
Bruno
Youf CF

Agree a termination with Nani. Goodbye to Timetheou, Broxham, Juric, Konstandopoulos.

All that's needed is 2-3 top quality signings.

I'd cull space Cadete if he's not a starter. Waste of a visa. Miranda would be ok to keep as think he'd start over Boz and the 3 would rotate substantially.

Wouldn't be averse to culling Miranda too and going an experienced Aussie defender.

I think we should aim for a better winger than Nish. Probably an Aussie CM and a visa winger. Or both visas if we cull Miranda too.

Romero should start each game so we know if he's a spud before next season too.

I'd cull space Cadete if he's not a starter. Waste of a visa. Miranda would be ok to keep as think he'd start over Boz and the 3 would rotate substantially.

Wouldn't be averse to culling Miranda too and going an experienced Aussie defender.

I think we should aim for a better winger than Nish. Probably an Aussie CM and a visa winger. Or both visas if we cull Miranda too.

Romero should start each game so we know if he's a spud before next season too.

Yeah good point. Noah smith would have been great to retain as the backup LB.

Miranda being replaced with Bailey Wright would be ideal. Feel we need to retain Da Silva next season - he is definitely a quality footballer.

Yeah a quality winger would be great with Nish as cover for Folami / new winger. Who that would be not quite sure.

Yeah good point. Noah smith would have been great to retain as the backup LB.

Miranda being replaced with Bailey Wright would be ideal. Feel we need to retain Da Silva next season - he is definitely a quality footballer.

Yeah a quality winger would be great with Nish as cover for Folami / new winger. Who that would be not quite sure.
Is this a thing?

Da Silva is a definite keeper from what we've seen so far.

Unless Con the fruiterer goes then nothing will change. I always thought Popa was one of the best Australian managers and I sort of still do, but this squad doesn't suit him. He's got an attacking team when he's a more defensive manager. The fruiterer and everyone else with their paws on the club will just keep making the same s**t decisions. Whoever signed players like Juric and even Nani have to be shown the door. I know Nani is meant to sell the entire league but being a club like Victory who have the pull of these players is a double edged sword because while they were superstars in their prime they rarely offer anything more than the typical visa player does. The club is rooted, I hate it so much right now and I can't even be bothered turning it on anymore. I can't wait until my membership payments stop. With my mortgage constantly going up my two memberships were among the first things I thought of to cancel. * them, they don't deserve it. Hopefully Bentleigh win their bid to join the second division.

I've got 5 memberships, not cancelling them. Have to take the good with the bad. ADP needs to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back