• Joker

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Half a Steph is still top 5.
Dont Get It Fran Healy GIF by Travis

Jokes aren't always black and white mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was originally of the opinion that any of Jokic, Joel or Giannis would be worthy winners, but a closer look at the team records for all three with and without their star players, paints an interesting picture.

The 76ers actually play better without Joel. The Bucks are still a winning side (just) without Giannis and the Nuggets are a losing side when Jokic doesn't play.
In fact, the Sixers just sealed a sweep of the Nets by beating them in game 4 without Joel, and have now beaten the Championship favourites, on their home court, in game 1 of their 2nd round matchup with the Celtics.

If it was really awarded to the MOST VALUABLE player, then Joel would come 3rd.

Anyway, can't change anything now, so congratulations to Joel on a great season.

1683086183090.png

I was originally of the opinion that any of Jokic, Joel or Giannis would be worthy winners, but a closer look at the team records for all three with and without their star players, paints an interesting picture.

The 76ers actually play better without Joel. The Bucks are still a winning side (just) without Giannis and the Nuggets are a losing side when Jokic doesn't play.
In fact, the Sixers just sealed a sweep of the Nets by beating them in game 4 without Joel, and have now beaten the Championship favourites, on their home court, in game 1 of their 2nd round matchup with the Celtics.

Anyway, can't change anything now, so congratulations to Joel on a great season.

View attachment 1676924
The sample size of that is way too small to draw any meaningful conclusions, you also need to dive deeper. Some of those Jokic games at the end he was not the only player missing for the Nuggets so of course they are more likely to lose. Also who were those games against, how many above and below .500.

The sample size of that is way too small to draw any meaningful conclusions, you also need to dive deeper. Some of those Jokic games at the end he was not the only player missing for the Nuggets so of course they are more likely to lose. Also who were those games against, how many above and below .500.
Fair enough on the small sample size. I think it's large enough to draw some conclusions though. I haven't got the time to delve into it any deeper.
Given they have now beaten two playoff teams without him, including Boston in Boston, the evidence is still mounting in favour of the Sixers being a better team without him.

He's had a great season. I just don't think he's more valuable than the other two. It was a good race to the end though.

View attachment 1676924

GmSc MVP correct again ;)

Embiid wasn't undeserving and I love how much it means to him, I just think Jokic had the edge.

View attachment 1676924

Jokic is clearly the most valuable player

Yeah I thought Jokic was the MVP but voter fatigue meant he was never gonna win a third. Voter fatigue has kept plenty of MVP's from deserving guys like LeBron and MJ.

Like there is no way LeBron has only been the best player in the NBA 4 times in his near on 20 year career. Same for Jordan just 5 times.

It's all about the narrative though really rather than giving it to the best player.

Back