Play Nice 2022 AFL/AFLW Crowds/TV Ratings/Stream thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Fox ratings are also based off the oztam survey. Kayo was supposedly going to be included in May.

Based on over 10,000 homes. Gatherings in these homes count.

panel-sizes-20062017.jpg
Any figures from Kayo yet Wookie?

As I said the FTA TV can only be an estimate - using a few thousand meters out of millions of TV sets around the nation that have no way of counting how many people are actually watching each TV screen and then you have all the private BBQs,Pubs (about 7000) and Clubs (about 6400) that would have at least tens of thousands extra watching if not hundreds of thousands around the nation.
true
but i guess the point is year in, year out, the numbers at these alternative venues and the number of large parties at houses without ratings boxes, would be the same year in year out.
and if you happen to have a ratings box and you have 20 people over, you have to key in their age and sex as they watch

My best mate use to have one, if you have say your kids come over you can put them into the system to include them watching tv too, but 15 guests that come around once in a blue moon you wouldn't bother registering them.

Basically the way it works is you turn on the TV then put in your individual code and then it registers what that individual person is watching.

As I said the FTA TV can only be an estimate

They are all estimates.
Streaming services don't know how many people are watching or if anyone is actually watching.
using a few thousand meters out of millions of TV sets around the nation that have no way of counting how many people are actually watching each TV screen

With meters, people are supposed to log in. In that regard they are better than streaming services.

and then you have all the private BBQs,Pubs (about 7000) and Clubs (about 6400) that would have at least tens of thousands extra watching if not hundreds of thousands around the nation.

Nah. I'm surprised just how many people DON"t watch sport at pubs etc.
All these screens are a total waste of money IMO.

Good crowd, but it seems to be portrayed as a watershed moment for the sport. IMO it just shows the amount of goodwill out there for the AFLW, but it's all going to amount to nought unless the product can match the hype.

The first AFLW Western derby got 35k. Now both clubs are barely pulling 4 figures and the last derby got about a fifth of that (which was actually a good crowd IMO).

Good crowd, but it seems to be portrayed as a watershed moment for the sport. IMO it just shows the amount of goodwill out there for the AFLW, but it's all going to amount to nought unless the product can match the hype.

The first AFLW Western derby got 35k. Now both clubs are barely pulling 4 figures and the last derby got about a fifth of that (which was actually a good crowd IMO).

see also the opening Carlton v Collingwood match, and probably the opening Swans game as well. The trick is keeping the momentum going

I have just been watching the AFLW GWS v Carlton from Henson Park Sydney and it looks good and would easily hold the current GWS crowds so it might not be a bad idea to play some GWS Mens matches there!

I have just been watching the AFLW GWS v Carlton from Henson Park Sydney and it looks good and would easily hold the current GWS crowds so it might not be a bad idea to play some GWS Mens matches there!

I agree, they should have started inner west and worked their way outwards, as opposed to starting outer and coming inwards. You have to get that base initially to have appeal in the new footy areas and inner west is much more AFL friendly.

Watched a bit of the WAFL GF today between West Perth and Claremont on the AFL's website, played at the Leederville Oval instead of Optus or Subiaco prior to that opening. Leederville was the home of West Perth until about 30 years ago, so no home ground advantage there.

Good crowd of 16,971 filled up the oval and the crowd on that big steeped bank to the left of screen looked impressive.

Be interesting to compare its ratings in Perth to the WA AFLW teams' ratings this weekend.

The average audience for the SANFL GF in Adelaide was 93,600 viewers a couple of weeks ago. Had a look around for the AFLW showdown ratings for last nigh,t but can't find anything. Given the top rating program in Adelaide last night was 7 news with a 98,000 average, I doubt they got much more than half the GF figure.

Rob was Optus out of action because of the up coming T-20 games or did the WAFC make a decision to try a local oval? If out of action, would the ground chosen for the GF stayed the same if home ground tenants East Perth or Subiaco made the GF?

Watched a bit of the WAFL GF today between West Perth and Claremont on the AFL's website, played at the Leederville Oval instead of Optus or Subiaco prior to that opening.

Good crowd of 16,971 filled up the oval and the crowd on that big steeped bank to the left of screen looked impressive.

was Optus out of action because of the up coming T-20 games or did the WAFC make a decision to try a local oval? If out of action, would the ground chosen for the GF stayed the same if home ground tenants East Perth or Subiaco made the GF?

Correction of 16,791.

But the GF was originally booked for Optus Stadium, but a late cricket fixture addition meant the cricket pitch had to be installed earlier, and so the WAFL was essentially kicked out.

The WAFC put out a tender to the WAFL Clubs and their respective authorities that maintain the fields to see what they would offer to host the GF.

It was announced that it was considered that the City of Vincent had the best offering, with things considered such as capacity, location, quality and nearby precinct etc.

It meant East Perth and Subiaco were forced to not use Leederville Oval for the last few weeks of the season for games or trainings, to let the turf be replaced and in prestige condition for the GF, after it was in pretty bad condition mid-season.

Anyway, some screenshots of the crowd here: Play Nice - 2022 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings/Finance/Development thread

It was the 14th largest crowd ever at the venue. But the largest since the recreation centre was expanded on the eastern wing of the oval in the early 2000’s.

5388aa7f6b076517dde7f411e560043c.jpg

3cc1d89d728875f1ebb0b46f3c0bee3f.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It makes me wonder what’s better. AFLW averaging crowds of 5,000 with no entry fees. Or averaging crowds of 1,000 with $10 entry fees?
The average attendance for AFLW matches this season (not including the Melb v NM curtain-raiser at the MCG):

3,080 for 43 games with $10 adult tickets

1,692 for 7 games with $0 adult tickets

Last edited:
The average attendance for AFLW matches this season (not including the Melb v NM curtain-raiser at the MCG):

I think I'm finished editing this.

So calculating that out, let's be generous and say 2,000 of those are adults paying $10. The whole season to this point has brought in approx 800k in gate takings.

So calculating that out, let's be generous and say 2,000 of those are adults paying $10. The whole season to this point has brought in approx 800k in gate takings.
Let's be honest and say we don't know, considering there are 70k+ AFLW members with matchday access.

Let's be honest and say we don't know, considering there are 70k+ AFLW members with matchday access.

At the end of the 2022 AFL season, Fremantle offered me as a member, free membership and therefore access to AFLW games. Why would I not take up that offer. So far used it for access to one home game for 2 adults and 1 under three year old.

It makes me wonder what’s better. AFLW averaging crowds of 5,000 with no entry fees. Or averaging crowds of 1,000 with $10 entry fees?

If they scrapped entry fees crowds would not go back to those levels. It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't increase at all.

There's more at play here that has caused the drop in crowds than just ticket prices.

Correction of 16,791.

But the GF was originally booked for Optus Stadium, but a late cricket fixture addition meant the cricket pitch had to be installed earlier, and so the WAFL was essentially kicked out.

The WAFC put out a tender to the WAFL Clubs and their respective authorities that maintain the fields to see what they would offer to host the GF.

It was announced that it was considered that the City of Vincent had the best offering, with things considered such as capacity, location, quality and nearby precinct etc.

It meant East Perth and Subiaco were forced to not use Leederville Oval for the last few weeks of the season for games or trainings, to let the turf be replaced and in prestige condition for the GF, after it was in pretty bad condition mid-season.

Anyway, some screenshots of the crowd here: Play Nice - 2022 Non AFL Crowds/Ratings/Finance/Development thread

It was the 14th largest crowd ever at the venue. But the largest since the recreation centre was expanded on the eastern wing of the oval in the early 2000’s.

5388aa7f6b076517dde7f411e560043c.jpg

3cc1d89d728875f1ebb0b46f3c0bee3f.jpg
The near 17,000 for the WAFL GF is a very good crowd. I watched a fair bit of the entertaining match and going on the spaces around the ground they could have gotten another 3000 in for sure.

Last edited:
70k AFLW members would be generating at least $7 million on its own across the league, it's not too shabby.
If the AFLW went back to total free entry they would be demeaning the comp saying it is worth nothing.
The free entry was a good marketing tool at the beginning of the comp but is not required now!

And BTW none of the other Womens football comps are doing any better than the AFLW crowds some much worse!
Even the National Womens soccer team struggle to get sellouts when playing international matches.

70k AFLW members would be generating at least $7 million on its own across the league, it's not too shabby.
Not quite that much. Most AFLW memberships sell for around the $75 mark. Definitely $5m in revenue this year from that one stream.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back