AFLW815/10Sat1940Gold CoastMelbourneMetricon Stadium1,00422,5004.46%
AFLW816/10Sun1310Western BulldogsSt KildaMars Stadium1,71411,00015.58%
AFLW816/10Sun1510GWSHAwthornHensen Park2,00630,0006.69%
AFLW816/10Sun1710FremantleCollingwoodFremantle Oval2,11710,00021.17%
Total16,554135,50012.22%
Average1,83915,056
Season Total201,0081,124,72117.87%
Season Average2,79215,621

Like I said mate, i'm just going off social media engagement. I didn't make the comment after most of those games.
Congratulations for figuring out people on Facebook and Twitter complain a lot, and do little else. Soon you'll figure out they complain about everything, and it means nothing.

And TBH, other than the game in Sydney they're all pretty disappointing crowds. Perfect weather in Perth today and it's a third of what Freo were drawing pre-covid.
You must mean pre-Covid when Freo were good.

Not pre-Covid when Freo sucked...
VENUE: FREMANTLE OVAL DATE: SAT, 03-03-2018 2:05 PM CROWD: 2,571
VENUE: FREMANTLE OVAL DATE: SAT, 17-03-2018 2:05 PM CROWD: 2,751

Congratulations for figuring out people on Facebook and Twitter complain a lot, and do little else. Soon you'll figure out they complain about everything, and it means nothing.

OK Einstein, what's your theory on why the AFLW's popularity appears to have collapsed?

You must mean pre-Covid when Freo were good.

Not pre-Covid when Freo sucked...

Our crowds have sucked all season. Happened before we actually sucked.

BTW, i'm guessing those games were part of the AFL's obsession with playing games in March in the middle of the day when it was 40 degrees. Hardly comparable to the perfect weather we had today, with low 20's and fine. You're just cherry picking.

Other than maybe the Crows, everyone's crowds suck.

OK Einstein, what's your theory on why the AFLW's popularity appears to have collapsed?
It will be the most watched and highest attended season to date (already 200,000+ people through the gates, as opposed to 2018 when 20k less people turned up than the previous year).

The only collapsing going on right now is with drama queens fainting over averages (even though the AFL, through their own actions, have made it clear that's not the priority).

Our crowds have sucked all season. Happened before we actually sucked.
Fremantle have sucked all season (lost by 50 points in R1, away), their crowds have been good considering.

BTW, i'm guessing those games were part of the AFL's obsession with playing games in March in the middle of the day when it was 40 degrees. Hardly comparable to the perfect weather we had today, with low 20's and fine. You're just cherry picking.
28-29 degrees for the first example, 23-21 degrees for the second.

So no, I'm not cherry picking. Just making reasonable comparisons, noting Fremantle are much worse this year than they were in 2018.

But yes, you are guessing. That's obvious.

It will be the most watched and highest attended season to date (already 200,000+ people through the gates, as opposed to 2018 when 20k less people turned up than the previous year).

The only collapsing going on right now is with drama queens fainting over averages (even though the AFL, through their own actions, have made it clear that's not the priority).

Fremantle have sucked all season (lost by 50 points in R1, away), their crowds have been good considering.

By far the worst in their history, but hey, "good considering".

What is their priority then? TV numbers are terrible as well.

Not that I disagree with you - I did comment a couple of weeks ago that I think crowds should be the number 1, 2 and 3 priorities for the league. But that's because nobody is watching on TV. They're putting games at odd times, avoiding clashes, all for the benefit of a non existent TV audience. But tellingly that always seems to have been the case, it's not a new thing (although i'll admit there have been some really odd times for games because of the greater number of games now).

28-29 degrees for the first example, 23-21 degrees for the second.

So no, I'm not cherry picking. Just making reasonable comparisons, noting Fremantle are much worse this year than they were in 2018.

But yes, you are guessing. That's obvious.

You actually looked up the weather on those dates? Well played to you. Incredible that it was 23 degrees in March in Perth, but hey, i'll take your word for it. I certainly remember a few games back then that I thought about going to but it was just too hot.

And Freo were awful in 2018, only missed the wooden spoon due to a last round win. Coach got sacked IIRC. Despite that, crowds were over double 2022 (and much better weather in September/October than February/March).

And don't pretend this isn't a league wide problem. Go back and look at overall crowds in 2018/2019 and it's a mammoth difference. In 2019 there were just 5 games under 2000 spectators, of which 2 were GWS home games and 2 were regional games. Don't put your head in the sand and say "nothing to see here".

Sure if you only believe in aggregates the crowds will be larger. - although as of last week they had yet to pass the first 4 seasons, they will by season end...maybe.. On Average....its coming 5th...behind every pre covid season

Up to last weekend -

TV ratings will likely NOT match the first two seasons regardless on either aggregate or average.

What is their priority then?
Am I the only one who read the AFL Women's Football Vision 2021-2030 document?
Our Game Plan – Partnerships

1. Visibility

Women’s sport is highly visible and maximises its value.

2. Fan Love
AFLW is respected by our fans and the sporting public as the premier women’s sporting competition in Australia.

3. Reach
AFLW has the largest and most diverse audience, attendance and membership base of any women’s sporting competition in Australia.

4. Aligned Partners
The women’s game thrives with support from partnerships with communities, governments, and businesses with shared values.

5. Commercial Investment
Increased commercial investment in the women’s game.

6. Heroes
Showcase new role models to inspire girls and women across the nation, highlighting the importance of inclusion and diversity.

7. Athletes
Athletes have greater financial security via increased on and off field opportunities.
Nowhere in the stated objectives is average attendance mentioned. "Reach" and "diverse" are among the operative words, however.

TV numbers are terrible as well.
Terribly good value for broadcasters. Two non-Vic AFLW teams on Friday night outrated the NBL which has a $45m TV deal.

TV ratings will likely NOT match the first two seasons regardless on either aggregate or average.
I said most watched, didn't say TV ratings. But, on the subject of TV ratings, the first two seasons are NOT the benchmark:

The first season of having 18 womens teams was always going to be a tough thing to pull off.
We knew that 5 years ago - we talked about this in this forum.
In fact, we weren't sure whether it was even possible.
But they've done it, and the numbers stack up fine.

My team beat a Melbourne team on a suburban footy ground in inner West Sydney.
2000 people attended which is more than acceptable, in fact, it's bloody good!

No other sporting comp in Australia, men or women, has an 18 team comp (apart from the AFL itself).
It's an extraordinary achievement.

The first season of having 18 womens teams was always going to be a tough thing to pull off.
We knew that 5 years ago - we talked about this in this forum.
In fact, we weren't sure whether it was even possible.
But they've done it, and the numbers stack up fine.

My team beat a Melbourne team on a suburban footy ground in inner West Sydney.
2000 people attended which is more than acceptable, in fact, it's bloody good!

No other sporting comp in Australia, men or women, has an 18 team comp (apart from the AFL itself).
It's an extraordinary achievement.

Do you think the giants men's team could play out of Henson park too? I think it would be a good strategy, maybe more so if they pull out of Canberra in the future, could do a 7 showgrounds 4 inner west split.

All matches over 3,000 attendance this season (15)

CodeRoundHomeAwayVenueAttendanceCapacity%Capacity
AFLW6Port AdelaideAdelaideAdelaide Oval20,65253,50038.60%
AFLW2MelbourneNorth MelbourneMCG (curtain raiser)17,851100,02417.85%
AFLW1EssendonHawthornMarvel Stadiium12,09256,34721.46%
AFLW1SydneySt KildaNorth Sydney Oval8,26416,00051.65%
AFLW5West CoastFremantleOptus Stadium6,55261,26610.69%
AFLW2Port AdelaideWestern BulldogsAlberton Oval5,36711,00048.79%
AFLW1GeelongRichmondGMBHA Stadium4,25223,00018.49%
AFLW3SydneyGWSSCG4,23348,0008.82%
AFLW1CarltonCollingwoodIkon Park4,12812,00034.40%
AFLW7EssendonGeelongReid Oval3,8085,00076.16%
AFLW1BrisbaneFremantleGabba3,42137,5429.11%
AFLW1AdelaideMelbourneACH Stadium3,41714,00024.41%
AFLW5CollingwoodEssendonAIA Centre3,4123,000113.73%
AFLW4EssendonRichmondETU Stadium3,0446,00050.73%

I don't know what the rules are for other local grounds, but I know for Alberton Oval Rds 2 and 4 games the capacity was capped at 6,500, because of health and safety occupation and probably covid related rules as 11,000 would be everyone standing squeezed in type capacity and because the redevelopment on eastern side started after the Rd 6 game at Adelaide Oval, it means capacity for Rds 8 and 10 is capped at 3,500.

Why are so few going to Aflw?
Richmond Carlton 180000 members between them lucky to be 2000 there tonite.
Seems it just hasn’t caught on at all.
Make it free I say.
Conti is a gun.
Because the product isn't very good. I know a dozen women or so who go watch AFL games but wont go watch an AFLW game. So its just not a bloke thing.

I have gone to watch the 3 games Port have played at Alberton Oval so far, but if the standard is like this in 2 or 3 years time I wont be going.

The Brisbane v Adelaide game I watched the last 1.3 quarters on TV on Friday night and the standard was pretty high but they are the best two sides over 7 seasons, so you would expect it.

The bottom half of the ladder the talent is spread too thin and the standard of play is pretty ordinary. You don't see good skills executed, so people who are time poor aren't going to watch what they regard as a B or C or D or Z grade product.

It looks like parklands footy, it is umpired like parklands footy and you get parklands type attendances. Finals time people will come out of the woodwork, just like they used to before the AFL became a full time sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure if you only believe in aggregates the crowds will be larger. - although as of last week they had yet to pass the first 4 seasons, they will by season end...maybe.. On Average....its coming 5th...behind every pre covid season

Up to last weekend -

But this is the highest crowds in the leagues history when you have to pay to enter.

Gimme 3k paying $10 than 4.5k getting in for free.

But this is the highest crowds in the leagues history when you have to pay to enter.

Gimme 3k paying $10 than 4.5k getting in for free.
3000 are not paying $10 dollars u 18 are free family, friends free,lucky to be 1200 paying tickets.
Showdown in Adelaide common knowledge free tickets were everywhere.
17000 to last weeks games 8000 paying tops $80000 in gate takings.
Great business model on $2.5 mill in wages a week.
Those record TV rights are going to be needed!!

3000 are not paying $10 dollars u 18 are free family, friends free,lucky to be 1200 paying tickets.

It doesn't how much or how many. when something is not free people stop and think.
Free transport - no problems. Pay for transport - stop and work out what is economical.
Paying anything is an impediment.

Those record TV rights are going to be needed!!

When the AFLW was free so were the ratings to the broadcasters.
Do lower attendances affect the ratings ?

It doesn't how much or how many. when something is not free people stop and think.
Free transport - no problems. Pay for transport - stop and work out what is economical.
Paying anything is an impediment.

When the AFLW was free so were the ratings to the broadcasters.
Do lower attendances affect the ratings ?
Ratings were free?No set up costs for broadcasting games?

Up to last weekend -

A question Wookie why do you bother to engage with the deluded idiots on LU?

You should remind them that apart from the much bigger AFL TV media deal than the nRL has ATM that the AFL and their clubs get much larger sponsorship's,membership sales and gate takings!

Assume those figure include the MCG double header? Somewhat misleading, but the league is on track. Just need to find the best time to play the season. With neither Adelaide Oval or Gabba available for the GF, not sure that they have it right.

Picking up a thread from a quote a few pages back.

Collingwood clearly are the biggest club in Australia, followed by Essendon and Carlton and then Richmond.

Contrary to most Richmond supporters I don’t think we are in the biggest in the land and are the smallest of the big 4 but their ability to mobilise support and get them to games and the emotional connection is second to none.

And before anyone says yeah yeah 3 flags, we have had consistent growth in membership since we’ll before then.

Maybe that come form being terrible for so long, it was nearly worn worn a sense of pride and toughness that we continue to hold on through hell.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

A question Wookie why do you bother to engage with the deluded idiots on LU?

You should remind them that apart from the much bigger AFL TV media deal than the nRL has ATM that the AFL and their clubs get much larger sponsorship's,membership sales and gate takings!

nah they are convinced that a year or two of profit supersedes things like assets and equity. Evidently 3-5 years behind the NRL financially im told.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back