Play Nice 2022 AFL/AFLW Crowds/TV Ratings/Stream thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not too bad.

Gold Coast's third highest home crowd of the year behind the Q-Clash and Carlton game.
Should be 15-22k for games v collingwood and tigers.
If they make sure there is enough GA bays!

Not a complete disaster but still concerning. I reckon they would've been hoping for a baseline of 8-9k now.

Where was the crowd figure published? The reason somebody can put out false information is when it takes so long to be known.

Giants home games seem to be particularly bad waiting for crowd numbers to come out. I remember waiting days for Manuka Oval crowds.

I got it from Austadiums on Twitter. I'm not sure where they got it from but they've always seemed a trustworthy source to me.

Agreed though, definitely still lower than you'd like it to be.

Would be brilliant to see them crack 20K.

They haven't done it at Metricon since 2014.
I was at a couple of those Collingwood games at Cararra that hit 20k and the atmosphere was terrific. It’s a great stadium when there’s actually a crowd there.

Not a complete disaster but still concerning. I reckon they would've been hoping for a baseline of 8-9k now.

Where was the crowd figure published? The reason somebody can put out false information is when it takes so long to be known.
8-9k would have been about the figure (or maybe higher) that this fixture would have got pre covid when the team was doing better on field.
With the drop in crowds most sides have experienced plus the team now at the tail end of the ladder, 6k isn't entirely unexpected, but still disappointing.

As for the 3.8k figure, I reckon Macarthur FC would have been happy with that as most of their home crowds are about 2k.

Do you really think Liverpool or Barcelona would sell out consistently if they were bottom of the division?

I mean they possibly could and probably would but it’s a different scenario than the status quo.

Perhaps the comparison are Rangers and Juve crowds in the lower divisions over the last 10-12 years.

That's not really the same as neither team was relegated due to being s**t on the field.

But soccer and their pyramids are a different beast to the football culture here. Chuck any AFL club in the 2nd tier and crowds would totally collapse.

8-9k would have been about the figure (or maybe higher) that this fixture would have got pre covid when the team was doing better on field.
With the drop in crowds most sides have experienced plus the team now at the tail end of the ladder, 6k isn't entirely unexpected, but still disappointing.

As for the 3.8k figure, I reckon Macarthur FC would have been happy with that as most of their home crowds are about 2k.

It was 10,139 when we played the dogs at home in 2019.
Suns crowd today looked terrific on TV.

After todays game I jumped online to look at flights, tickets accomodation etc for the Tigers Game.

Ouch.. not a cheap weekend away!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The damn floating fixture really screwed up both the Pies and Tigers games on the Gold Coast this year.

Both are in the school holidays, and by the time the AFL got around to confirming the dates and times everything was booked out or ridiculously priced.

Good article in todays AGE

Friday night plight: Games start too late, say club bosses​

By Peter Ryan, Jake Niall and Michael Gleeson

June 20, 2022 — 5.00am

AFL footy club bosses say families are being put off going to Friday night games because of the late start times, as dwindling crowd numbers threaten club revenue and the atmosphere at the ground.
Friday night football should kick off earlier than 7.50pm, according to club bosses searching for ways to return crowds to pre-COVID levels.
Crowds have been lower this season.

Crowds have been lower this season.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES
The late start in the eastern states sees games finish near 11pm on a Friday night, which five club bosses specifically said was due to the game’s start time being too late. They said it makes it hard for families, people involved in junior sport on Saturdays, or commuters hoping to attend games in metropolitan venues.
One club boss said the late timeslot also allowed people to drink alcohol before they turned up to games, which made the environment for supporters less family-friendly.

The club bosses’ view came via an anonymous survey The Age conducted where they were asked to suggest ideas that the AFL and the clubs should consider to bring back crowds, which are at their lowest level - apart from the past two COVID-impacted seasons - since 1996.
Although television ratings are up, clubs rely on membership and crowds to generate their revenue and as one club boss said that “good broadcasts depend on full stadiums, so attendances are crucial”.

While the 16 clubs that responded all considered the lingering effects of COVID-19 to be a significant reason why crowds were down, one club boss identified half a dozen issues that could be addressed with the 7.50pm start time the first easy fix.
The 7.50pm start time is just too late for people,” the club boss said."

The AFLs main role is to nurture and protect the game and its elite AFL clubs and getting crowds back to pre Covid levels is a must!
50% of the enjoyment of AFL is the crowd atmosphere as we saw during Covid when the game itself was diminished by a lack of crowd atmosphere.

There are a number of factors at play here esp the cost for families to actually get into the matches and the very high prices for food and beverage = football is NOT the Theatre ,Concert or Opera Australian Football is a mass supported sport and always has been right from the start of the VFA in the 1870s!

The ridiculous late crowd killing start on Fridays is all about CH 7 and stuff the punters so in the next TV deal give Fridays to another channel!

The AFL have to VERY careful here as there have been many once popular sports that once people broke their habits of many years of attending in person started not going have never recovered.

And finally the AFL and the Clubs cannot afford to be bleeding tens of millions through lack of crowds!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at a couple of those Collingwood games at Cararra that hit 20k and the atmosphere was terrific. It’s a great stadium when there’s actually a crowd there.
Can confirm. In the early years of the Suns the stadium was absolutely buzzing. Anything close to 15k or above is brilliant there.

If you need a reason to get off the couch this weekend is surely it!

Top 8 blockbusters and rare wins for some lower ranked teams. This weekend has it all.

Dees V Lions (30K)

Dogs V Hawks (37K)
Eagles V Dons (45K)

Blues V Freo (40K)
Cats V Tigers (50K)
Swans V Saints (30K)

North V Crows (5K)
Collingwood V Giants (33K)
Port V Suns (30K)

Let’s see what happens!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It wasn't, that was some troll who made up a number, and then even put that number on Wikipedia.

The reported crowd was 6208.

Still worrisome, but not as bad.

It's brings the 2022 Giants Stadium average to 6008 after four games.
AFL Tables has the crowd as 3,893. Presume they got the crowd from Wikipedia before it was changed?

Shouldn't be this hard to define an exact crowd figure within reasonable time.

FWIW

In years this century when they don't play in finals

% of home games against non-Vic teams that reach 30k:

Richmond - 45%
Carlton - 48%
Essendon - 74%
Collingwood - 76%

# that didn't reach 20k:

Carlton - 7
Richmond - 5
Essendon - 2
Collingwood - 1
West Coast, Adelaide, Collingwood and Essendon have consistently had the highest base in the league.

Gold Coast getting crowds of about 15000 (on a population base of 679000) is equivalent to say West Coast or Freo getting crowds of 50000 (on population base of 2.1m in Perth) and Crows/Port getting 35000 (on population base of 1.4m in Adelaide).
The BIG difference the Gold Coast is not a real city with a long history and has no history of big sporting crowds to any sport including Australian Football.

The BIG difference the Gold Coast is not a real city with a long history and has no history of big sporting crowds to any sport including Australian Football.
Exactly. So for us to be getting these crowds which are comparable on a per capita basis is good.
If we can get in due course 15-17k of locals and 5-8k of opposition fans, thats a sell out and place rocks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back