Play Nice 2022 AFL/AFLW Crowds/TV Ratings/Stream thread

Remove this Banner Ad

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Is it just me or have the bulldogs gained a few more supporters over the past few years?
Gained over 10,000 members since 2016. 20,000 since 2010. Which is a pretty good progression rate since we haven’t really done anything outside of 2016.

MattF185

All Australian
Jul 16, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Cricket basketball tennis athletics
Gained over 10,000 members since 2016. 20,000 since 2010. Which is a pretty good progression rate since we haven’t really done anything outside of 2016.
Well, you did make a Grand Final last season, so you have gone places. But I agree, it was a great crowd today.

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon

Yeah but just in general I feel like your base crowds have been better, maybe more casual fans have jumped on. I wouldn't be surprised they have some exciting players and are a good team to watch when up and about. Plus the western suburbs are always growing.

Raz Man

Team Captain
Apr 29, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Is it just me or have the bulldogs gained a few more supporters over the past few years?

I have thought the exact thing when I watch Bulldogs games at Marvel. Their attendances look much larger than they used to get in the early to mid 2000s. I get they won a flag which brings more numbers but still I feel their supporters come to games which I do not see with other smaller Vic clubs like Saints or Kangas.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah but just in general I feel like your base crowds have been better, maybe more casual fans have jumped on. I wouldn't be surprised they have some exciting players and are a good team to watch when up and about. Plus the western suburbs are always growing.
I have thought the exact thing when I watch Bulldogs games at Marvel. Their attendances look much larger than they used to get in the early to mid 2000s. I get they won a flag which brings more numbers but still I feel their supporters come to games which I do not see with other smaller Vic clubs like Saints or Kangas.

Our increase in support has actually been pretty good in the 2010s. Around 2010, we had 25-30,000 members, Collingwood had 70,000. Now we have 50,000 and the Pies have 95,000. So to increase at a similar rate to them despite them finishing top 4 and playing in finals far more often is pretty good.

The 2016 flag helped obviously but in recent times we have definitely felt like a more relevant team in the media and just in general compared to Saints and North.

Really hope we don’t go to s**t for a few years, would * up all this growth.

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon

Agree with all that but the saints are underrated for supporter base imo. They sit well above the other 3 smaller clubs, the dogs are on the rise though. I don't get the suggestion of changing the name back to footscray, would be very silly when you have a massive area to grow into and are recognised as the team representing the whole of the western suburbs.

Wooden Spoon year in 2003 had crowds like 12-14k against Freo and Port at docklands. Truly a terrible time. Our home average is still recovering (although sold games to Darwin against both at one point and Ballarat to Port sometimes) No one is going to pretend we are a massive club but the growth is there.

Dogs should always get over 20k at the worst and can get 30k at best against interstate depending. (one was GWS and Swans)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton/Collingwood now sold out for both the public and AFL Members.

Can't remember the last time this happened 2 weeks in advance for any game that isn't ANZAC Day or other special occasion.

gopies1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree with all that but the saints are underrated for supporter base imo. They sit well above the other 3 smaller clubs, the dogs are on the rise though. I don't get the suggestion of changing the name back to footscray, would be very silly when you have a massive area to grow into and are recognised as the team representing the whole of the western suburbs.
St.kilda’s crowds have been shocking this year. For a club that is just outside the 8 they are 2nd last in home attendance’s out of the 10 Victoria clubs. They are only Ave 20,000 v interstate clubs. North are Ave 13,000. Bulldogs 23,000 and Melbourne 29,000 (excluding the port game which was played in Alice springs)

What I see st.kilda are on par with the bulldogs and Melbourne. Those 3 clubs there is not much difference in numbers in Melbourne. What I see there are basically 4 tiers in terms of drawing power when there clubs are winning

Tier 1 Ave 40,000 of own supporters to home games
Collingwood
Essendon
Richmond
Carlton

Tier 2 Ave 30,000 of own supporters to home games
Hawthorn
Geelong

Tier 3 Ave 25,000 of own supporters to home games
Melbourne
St.kilda
Western bulldogs

Tier 4 Ave 20,000 of own supporters to home games
North Melbourne (seriously they are the only club that has no bandwagon support they would only Ave 20,000 of there own supporters if they were in the top 4)

Last edited:

gopies1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

Can't remember the last time this happened 2 weeks in advance for any game that isn't ANZAC Day or other special occasion.
Think last time was round 22 2011 Geelong v Collingwood. 84,000 people turned up but I remember crowd was slightly low due to poor mcc turnout

gopies1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

Could this break the biggest non pubic holiday crowd set by Carlton and Essendon when 91,517 fans turned up to see 1st v 2nd in round 20 2000?

I think it might come up short especially if the blues lose to both the lions and dees!!

My prediction is if Carlton win there next 2 games the crowd will be 90,000!

Blues win 1 out of 2 crowd 87,000

Blues lose both games then crowd will be 85,000

St.kilda’s crowds have been shocking this year. For a club that is just outside the 8 they are 2nd last in home attendance’s out of the 10 Victoria clubs. They are only Ave 20,000 v interstate clubs. North are Ave 13,000. Bulldogs 23,000 and Melbourne 29,000 (excluding the port game which was played in Alice springs)

What I see st.kilda are on par with the bulldogs and Melbourne. Those 3 clubs there is not much difference in numbers in Melbourne. What I see there are basically 4 tiers in terms of drawing power when there clubs are winning

Collingwood
Essendon
Richmond
Carlton

Hawthorn
Geelong

Melbourne
St.kilda
Western bulldogs

North Melbourne (seriously they are the only club that has no bandwagon support they would only Ave 20,000 of there own supporters if they were in the top 4)

Need to excude two Ballarat games by the same token as Alice Springs. Capacity limited.

I didn’t honestly believe you with North until I looked at their prelim years of 2014/15.

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Collingwood
Essendon
Richmond
Carlton

Hawthorn
Geelong

Melbourne
St.kilda
Western bulldogs

You’d think we are in Tier 2 if we didn’t play two of our home games in a 9000 person stadium (against interstate sides too).

The Tilt

All Australian
Oct 12, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney

Collingwood
Essendon
Richmond
Carlton

Hawthorn
Geelong

Melbourne
St.kilda
Western bulldogs

I think you have the tiers right, but I wouldn't have thought there's any chance that Melb, St Kilda or the Bulldogs bring 25,000 of their owns supporters to an average home game (nor that NM bring 20,000). The Bulldogs had home crowds of around 25,000 (give or take) this year against the Swans, St Kilda and Melbourne, with the away team making a substantial contribution in each case. I would have thought something around 20,000 (perhaps a little less) is probably more accurate.

That said, those crowds are still pretty good. It's significant that clubs that don't even rank in the top 5 in Melbourne still manage to comfortably outperform almost every club in any other professional sporting league in Australia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back