Play Nice 2022 AFL/AFLW Crowds/TV Ratings/Stream thread

Looks sub 20k at Marvel. Was bound to happen after last weeks dismal performance. Dons crowds held up well for 20 weeks.
Have they?
24k vs Adelaide
23k vs Fremantle
23k vs Gold Coast
29k vs North Melbourne
And another low 20k’s crowd vs Port

I’d reckon that’s disappointing crowds for a big club

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Have they?
24k vs Adelaide
23k vs Fremantle
23k vs Gold Coast
29k vs North Melbourne

Essendon’s season never got started. Essendon people in part decided pretty early not to go this year. It’s Marvel crowds have been poor, terrible today. However a dispirited team playing for nothing at 4:40 Sunday at the end of the season was never going to draw well.

Its MCG crowds have been ok.

In the end, Essendon will want to start 2023 with a little bit of effort and intensity to get its fans back to support the team. Until then, we watch on TV with mediocre interest.

MattF185

All Australian
Jul 16, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Cricket basketball tennis athletics
Have they?
24k vs Adelaide
23k vs Fremantle
23k vs Gold Coast
29k vs North Melbourne

We have had 21 consecutive seasons now of not finishing higher than 7th at the end of the H&A season. Can’t expect any better re crowds.

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Family friendly and Tigers final home game. Also, is this a Hawks home replacement game too? Always beefs up the crowd somewhat.

It wasn't a hawks replacement game. What a fantastic crowd of almost 60K. At the ground, I thought this looks like 55-60K, then by qtr time I thought it may top 60K. As MattF185 said the Tiger army was pretty loud, a sniff of finals in the air ;)

Next week Ess V Rich, the last home game for the bombers. What's your guestimate?

Last edited:
3rd highest.

2nd highest this century.
I beg to differ.

1660463436502.jpeg

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
It wasn't a hawks replacement game. What a fantastic crowd of almost 60K. At the ground, I thought this looks like 55-60K, then by qtr time I thought it may top 60K. As MattF185 said the Tiger army was pretty loud, a sniff of finals in the air ;)

Next week Ess V Rich, the last home game for the bombers. What's your guestimate?
Essendon people won’t go. It’s the last game with nothing to play for and the team called time on the season last week anyway, today’s Marvel crowd being proof of this.

Essendon supporters probably won’t bother even watching it on TV!

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks

Next Sat night Ess V Rich, the last home game for the bombers. What's your guestimate?
It was a Hawks replacement game. Plenty of Hawks there. Top deck chockers. Couldn’t get a pie anywhere.

MattF185

All Australian
Jul 16, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams

I’ll say 46,000 next Saturday night. Richmond fans will have to accept buying tickets up the top of the Ponsford Stand for this one.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Essendon people won’t go. It’s the last game with nothing to play for and the team called time on the season last week anyway, today’s Marvel crowd being proof of this.
I’ll say 46,000 next Saturday night. Richmond fans will have to accept buying tickets up the top of the Ponsford Stand for this one.
And 75% of Essendon reserved seats on the first three levels will be vacant😄

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Essendon reserved seating basically first 3 levels of Olympic and Warne Stands, excluding AFL members. These will be sparse next Saturday I’d suggest.

I'm an AFL reserve Richmond gold member and have seats on Level 2, so I'm all good.

I have some friends coming and I said you should be able to get seats on level 1 'punt road end' but after seeing this, I will direct them to the city end.

deck

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU
It’s the most family friendly slot. No slot suits everyone however this one means families can go along and get home in time to get set for the week ahead etc. always brings more kids, and consequently their parents too this slot.
The few I know who regularly go with kids can't go to these games due to kids footy. Probably today and next week due to kids footy wrapping up this week but usually kids footy is on between 10am and 5pm Sundays.

MattF185

All Australian
Jul 16, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
The few I know who regularly go with kids can't go to these games due to kids footy. Probably today and next week due to kids footy wrapping up this week but usually kids footy is on between 10am and 5pm Sundays.
There’s pro’s and con’s with literally every single time slot. Can’t cater for every single fan, unfortunately.

deck

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU
There’s pro’s and con’s with literally every single time slot. Can’t cater for every single fan, unfortunately.
That I don't disagree with. But Sunday as a whole isn't seen as a fan friendly day by majority of fans. There is a reason they have Sunday funday and other intensives on Sunday's to get people through the gate. And that was my point.

Raz Man

Team Captain
Apr 29, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon

Bombers have 84,500 odd members (record for us) this year and this is what the club dished out today. Pathetic.
Saying that, if Hurley plays one last time a few of us might go. I genuinely hope 50,000 + next Saturday against one of our big rivals.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Rabman

Club Legend
Nov 22, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adelaide, Arsenal.
Exception of 2021. could possibly be the first time since 2009 the ANZAC day match won't be the highest attended H/A game of the season.

Back