Play Nice 2022 AFL/AFLW Crowds/TV Ratings/Stream thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots of reasons being bandied about.
For my two cents I'll say it's the lack of media hype (something that the NRL does well)
For example, recently we have, Swans lose to Suns, Dockers lose to Suns and Bombers lose to Suns.
Where are the Suns surprise Swans, Suns record win over Dockers, Swans regain momentum against Bombers ?

Of course the real reason why things are down is because there are only seven AFL games a week instead of the usual ninie.
Seven AFL games and two training runs against the WAFL Eagles and the Joeys.

For my two cents I'll say it's the lack of media hype (something that the NRL does well)
For example, recently we have, Swans lose to Suns, Dockers lose to Suns and Bombers lose to Suns.
Where are the Suns surprise Swans, Suns record win over Dockers, Swans regain momentum against Bombers ?

Of course the real reason why things are down is because there are only seven AFL games a week instead of the usual ninie.

There seem to be a lot more games these days at small venues too which wasn't as prevalent in the past (correct me if i'm wrong). Cairns, Ballarat, Hobart and Launceston, N.T etc.

Of course the real reason why things are down is

...a global pandemic that hasn't really gone away causing a reluctance amongst some to attend live matches and which has also made one football club uncompetitive?

Theres definitely COVID hangover of sorts, cost of going out v the benefits of staying in have never been more in favour of the latter.

In addition the AFL hasnt stacked the front of the season with large drawing clashes as it has in the past - the fixturing of the grand finalists - while absolutely fair - instead of the usual Vic Big 4 groupings at the start of the season chills attendances somewhat.

Restrictions at the start of the season at Optus, and when they were lifted West coast were for crap. Crows crowds havent been great either. These are normally reliably good figures.

Carlton a sneaky chance to break an 88 year old record this week?

Highest crowd between Carlton and South Melb / Sydney - 45,000 on 12 May 1934.
If it was at the G it would certainly beat that. At Marvel however it will be close. It seems almost impossible these days to exceed 45k there due to medallion club, reserved seats etc.

The Demons are up 37 per cent on their 2019 attendances, while Hawthorn (up 11 per cent), St Kilda (up four per cent) and Carlton (up two per cent) are also posting strong numbers.

Richmond still leads the league in average home attendances (51,818), followed by Carlton (47,487), and Melbourne (39,698), with North Melbourne’s 15.036 average impacted by two Hobart crowds.

West Coast is down 37 per cent and Fremantle has dropped 18 per cent, in part because of the reduction of crowd capacities at Perth Stadium as well as the Eagles’ form slump.

Perth and Adelaide fans have also had to endure their most significant Covid outbreaks this year.

The league has already played at smaller capacity stadiums including Cairns by round 9, with Collingwood having played its two Marvel home games already.

The league is hopeful fans are increasingly confident about returning to public events as they return to work and flood the CBD, with blockbuster Dreamtime at the ‘G and Queens Birthday clashes ahead.

AVERAGE AFL HOME CROWDS THIS YEAR​

Richmond 51,818
Carlton 47,487
Melbourne 39,698
Essendon 39,344
Collingwood 37,732
Hawthorn 34,405
West Coast 33,932
Fremantle 33,707
Adelaide 33,055
Geelong 31,712
Port Adelaide 27,801
Sydney 27,376
St Kilda 25,990
Western Bulldogs 25,844
Brisbane Lions 24,140
North Melbourne 15,036
Greater Western Sydney 13,114
Gold Coast 10,916

If it was at the G it would certainly beat that. At Marvel however it will be close. It seems almost impossible these days to exceed 45k there due to medallion club, reserved seats etc.

It’s probably the best Marvel stadium game from a neutral perspective in years. I’m sure a lot of Carlton residents have a medallion club membership they haven’t got their value out of in 10 plus years.

Blue baggers should be out on a Friday night, I’d expect a pretty high Member show rate.

Should be a great game and a full house.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Further to the Carlton / Sydney game on Friday night. It's currently the oldest remaining record crowd between any two teams:

1652945244253.png

Most of the remaining pre 80s records look like they will be pretty hard to break.

The exception is the Melbourne / North Melbourne one, which is ridiculously small, particularly when they've played 80+ games at the MCG against each other.

The other most likely is the Geelong/Richmond one, which surely must get a 70k crowd at some point.

Essendon v Richmond should still be a large crowd I’m hoping. Even with our terrible year to date, the fact it is Dreamtime, should still be big!

I'm thinking the federal election on Saturday night might reduce the crowd number a little. I'd be interested if anyone has statistics for average crowds when an election is on like I've seen for Mother's Day.

At the very least the TV audience will be well down as it's been bumped to 7mate.

Further to the Carlton / Sydney game on Friday night. It's currently the oldest remaining record crowd between any two teams:

View attachment 1403793

Most of the remaining pre 80s records look like they will be pretty hard to break.

The exception is the Melbourne / North Melbourne one, which is ridiculously small, particularly when they've played 80+ games at the MCG against each other.

The other most likely is the Geelong/Richmond one, which surely must get a 70k crowd at some point.

Round 15 May have given it a shake this year if it wasn’t a Cats home game.

I'm thinking the federal election on Saturday night might reduce the crowd number a little. I'd be interested if anyone has statistics for average crowds when an election is on like I've seen for Mother's Day.

At the very least the TV audience will be well down as it's been bumped to 7mate.

Also not being shown in Adelaide will hurt it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back