deck

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU
Will be impossible to break that record at Marvel. Why do Marvels peak crowds seen so low compared to 15 years ago? I remember 50,000 crowds there being a pretty occasional thing.
Way more reserved seat memberships now than they had when the stadium first opened. Add in the fact it was being reported as sold out even though members could scan and get in and sit in GA. Any time that happens it scares away those such members from going.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
So many vagaries at play with a place like Marvel.
Medallion Club already mentioned.
Then you have all those corporate and sponsorship packages, tickets handed out willy nilly, many to people who don't really care whether they go or not, or get hold of six tickets, only 4 turn up, etc.
Separate to above, you have the corporate boxes.
How many are there? About 80? some might be empty on the day, maybe have a handful of people, others might have 30, maybe 35 people.
Very rarely, perhaps never, is there a fixture where absolutely every one of the above categories will attend to close to 100% capacity.

Sammoll

Club Legend
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne City FC, Southampton FC
I understand North are not going well and i know there’s a reputation that Dees fans don’t travel to Docklands, but wow. This North vs Dees crowd looks awful.

Crowds in Geelong and Ballarat earlier today looked good. It’ll be good when both of these stadiums complete their development by 2026 for the commonwealth games

MattF185

All Australian
Jul 16, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Cricket basketball tennis athletics
The crowd for North vs Adelaide in Hobart later this season will be interesting too,only 5100 turned up last weekend for the game against Port Adelaide in the same place.
Yep. Dire situation for North - you can clearly see why they have been reluctant to bottom out in the past. Hopefully they can turn it around on-field because we don’t like seeing crowds like this. This is where a Princes Park or Whitten Oval makeover would work wonders, if it had a capacity of say 22-25k.

Did a quick back of the envelope calculation and North's home crowds are a genuine chance to be the lowest for a Vic team since the VFL days (excluding Fitzroy). The Bulldogs getting 198k and 192k in 1996 and 1991 are the only instances of the surviving Vic teams drawing less than 200k in the AFL era, and North could easily go under 180k this year.

They are not helped by the fixture - having GC and GWS at Docklands in addition to their Tassie games is quite a drag. Their full list of home fixtures is:

Docklands
West Coast
Bulldogs (Good Friday)
Melbourne
GWS
Richmond
Sydney
Gold Coast

Hobart
Geelong
Port Adelaide
Adelaide
Hawthorn

Teams they don't get:

Brisbane
Carlton
Collingwood
Essendon
Fremantle
St Kilda

About as bad as you can get from a crowds or financial perspective. Personally, I reckon North should always get a home game against Essendon. It's their biggest rival and their best chance of a big pay day.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Did a quick back of the envelope calculation and North's home crowds are a genuine chance to be the lowest for a Vic team since the VFL days (excluding Fitzroy). The Bulldogs getting 198k and 192k in 1996 and 1991 are the only instances of the surviving Vic teams drawing less than 200k in the AFL era, and North could easily go under 180k this year.

They are not helped by the fixture - having GC and GWS at Docklands in addition to their Tassie games is quite a drag. Their full list of home fixtures is:

Docklands
West Coast
Bulldogs (Good Friday)
Melbourne
GWS
Richmond
Sydney
Gold Coast

Hobart
Geelong
Port Adelaide
Adelaide
Hawthorn

Teams they don't get:

Brisbane
Carlton
Collingwood
Essendon
Fremantle
St Kilda

About as bad as you can get from a crowds or financial perspective. Personally, I reckon North should always get a home game against Essendon. It's their biggest rival and their best chance of a big pay day.
North supporters are sadly not the best supporters,both games I have been to in Hobart this season North had less supporters than the teams playing them yet north is meant to be the home team.

Raz Man

Team Captain
Apr 29, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon

That is incredibly poor. The worst crowd at either Docklands or the MCG between two Melbourne teams since 1991.

Now, the question is.. is Norf just no good or Melbourne do not have the fan base to at least get a reasonable crowd. Considering they’re reigning premiers surely you can get 25,000 at worst! They boast 60,000 members too for their highest ever number. Like cmon Dees fans.. be better!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

That is incredibly poor. The worst crowd at either Docklands or the MCG between two Melbourne teams since 1991.

Well obviously Co

Suddenly the 5100 in Hobart for the North vs Port game last weekend doesn't sound as bad.

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Now, the question is.. is Norf just no good or Melbourne do not have the fan base to at least get a reasonable crowd. Considering they’re reigning premiers surely you can get 25,000 at worst! They boast 60,000 members too for their highest ever number. Like cmon Dees fans.. be better!

I think it is partly because Demons supporters don't travel to Marvel and because North supporters don't support their team when they are playing poorly.

gopies1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood

I think the next two weeks we will get a better indication on Melbourne’s fan base v freo and Sydney at the mcg. Surely they should get 30,000 v freo and 40,000 v Sydney

Benzay

Debutant
Apr 6, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I was at the North game (one of the few...) and I have to say, I think Dees fans would have gone close to outnumbering the home fans. The Dees end was pretty full and GA was majority Dees from what I could tell. I'm not really sure the microscope should be on Melbourne as some in this thread seem to want.

Either way, it's the smallest home team turnout I've ever seen, and I was there when Melbourne had 8.9k attend against GWS at Docklands in 2015. When I tried to go up on level to find that most of level 3 wasn't even open I knew it was going to be a very poor crowd.

This isn't to sink the boots into North while they are down. Obviously I know what they are going through, and when the fans were up and about complaining about the umpiring today they were certainly making some noise. A passionate lot, but geez there just wasn't many of them there. They'd want to turn it around on field quickly.

dave10

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Hi gents. I used to post regularly here. Covid kicked in but here we are back again.
Bombers VS The Mighty Tigers crept into the 70s. As someone said 70s is the new 80s. Good crowd in the circumstances.
A big welcome back mate! It’s good to have you back providing your insights.. You’re one of the objective ‘good’ posters. You come back riding the Tiger wave. I’m (Essendon) a bit like where the Blues have been in years past…. Rock bottom!

afl.com's match reports usually publish crowd numbers. No mention on the North v Dees game.

Hopefully Hardwick makes encouraging noises about Tiger fans attending their game at Docklands v North. Might get 30k which would be good.

Otherwise they might get 20K at their home game v Swans.

Beyond that it is looking grim.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
CodeRoundDateDayTimeHomeAwayVenueAttendanceCapacity%Capacity
AFL1020/5Fri1950CarltonSydneyMarvel Stadium44,76956,34779.45%
AFL1021/5Sat1345GeelongPort AdelaideGMBHA Stadium18,72123,00081.40%
AFL1021/5Sat1345Western BulldogsGold Coast SunsMars Stadium6,04011,00054.91%
AFL1021/5Sat1635North MelbourneMelbourneMarvel Stadium13,42256,34723.82%
AFL1021/5Sat1930RichmondEssendonMCG70,226100,02470.21%
AFL1021/5Sat1930AdelaideSt KildaAdelaide Oval28,78353,50053.80%