Play Nice 2022 AFL/AFLW Crowds/TV Ratings/Stream thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking forward to seeing how the Tiger supporters fare tomorrow. They’re contending, so you’d hope/expect the roaring army to be there in big numbers! 45,000 if they’re fair dinkum.
Bombers got 43,000 there today being 16th on the ladder and it felt like 70,000 with how loud we were.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That's a great crowd for the Suns. We have to remember that this club has never made finals in their 12 year history.
The other thing to note is that the three best home crowds for the Giants (at the Showgrounds and not involving the Swans) are:
15,751 vs WCE, Rd. 22 2017
15,467 vs Coll, Rd. 18, 2019
15,424 vs Ess, Rd. 1, 2019

and that's during a 4 year period of going deep into finals.

This is why, for mine, the Suns are the benchmark for the GWS. Our main performance indicator is keeping up with the Suns, and for a while there, I thought we had pretty much achieved it on a permanent basis, but I was way wrong.

In other words, if we were knocking on the door of the 8, would we be able to get 16k+ crowds right now? And the answer is clearly no, not by a long shot. That should be our goal.

We have a long way to go.

Seriously you would of thought it was a Collingwood home game tonight. Easily 10,000 Collingwood fans at the game

That's just not true. Pies were well represented and had thousands there. Remember it's GC home ground, and the suns had more support and sounded louder when they scored goals which is to be expected. I think you're underselling the sun's overall support and I must add that no one is outnumbering the suns in a home and away game at Metricon. Finals maybe.
GWS different scenario as they don't bring enough home support and big teams who travel there can almost match or surpass their numbers.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing how the Tiger supporters fare tomorrow. They’re contending, so you’d hope/expect the roaring army to be there in big numbers! 45,000 if they’re fair dinkum.
Bombers got 43,000 there today being 16th on the ladder and it felt like 70,000 with how loud we were.

Yes, it was a very good turnout for the bombers considering their ladder position. The swans as we know have big support here, at a guess 10-12K swans.
I watched the game and was barracking for the bombers, they were going off, especially in that last qtr. Did Ben Rutten shed a tear in the rooms? It looked like it.

Tomorrow, we play eagle's 17th. It's been a bit tricky to gauge what the crowds will be this year. Last week I thought the pies would get mid to high 30's V GWS and they got about 30K. That said, I'm thinking about 40K, but could be slightly more or could be slightly less.

Last edited:
Yes, it was a very good turnout for the bombers considering their ladder position. The swans as we know have big support here, at a guess 10-12K swans.
I watched the game and was barracking for the bombers, they were going off, especially in that last qtr. Did Ben Rutten shed a tear in the rooms? It looked like it.

Tomorrow, we play eagle's 17th. It's been a bit tricky to gauge what the crowds will be this year. Last week I thought the pies would get mid to high 30's V GWS and they got about 30K. That said, I'm thinking about 40K, but could be slightly more or could be slightly less.

Since 1997 the Swans away average just short of 32K. The Eagles just short of 29K so in essence all things being equal the Swans will outdraw the Eagles by about 3K.
That said it was a great attendance for Essendon V Swans.

It feels a bit of a dead rubber. The only reason I’m making the effort is to find a seat in the sun (hopefully).

I think 40K would more than pull it up.

There’s no reason why they wouldn’t. Their crowds in the late 1990’s were comparable and this was in an era of lower membership, no 3 game tickets etc. I’ve always believed a performing Essendon will draw crowds every bit as strong as any club in Victoria.

I do agree, the thought just popped into my head. Likewise when the fixture comes out I think “right, Richmond Marvel home game, that’s a free weekend”.

That said I now have every intention of attending Richmond V Fremantle at Marvel and hope the other Richmond supporters do too.

Since 1997 the Swans away average just short of 32K. The Eagles just short of 29K so in essence all things being equal the Swans will outdraw the Eagles by about 3K.

The only difference this year GT is that the swans are contending and will bring 10K+ of their own fans, the eagles are 17th and won't bring heaps maybe a few thousand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only difference this year GT is that the swans are contending and will bring 10K+ of their own fans, the eagles are 17th and won't bring heaps maybe a few thousand.
But Richmond are competing for a finals place and Essendon are third last. See how it goes today, but I’m expecting 35,000.

Seriously you would of thought it was a Collingwood home game tonight. Easily 10,000 Collingwood fans at the game
Don’t know about that many. The Suns got 10,597 to its last home game against the Crows. Let’s assume 8,500 of them Suns fans. Last night heavily promoted with star power pre match concert theoretically would’ve dragged in an even better Suns roll up. I’d say there would’ve been between 9-10,000 Suns fans there last night. Best case, the Pies probably had almost half of last nights crowd (8,000). Thsts obviously terrific but also timely to recognise last night logically would’ve been as healthy a Suns turnout for several years given their very recent elevation to relevance the last 3-4 weeks. Overall I though the crowd was a little dissapiubting given the talk of sellouts and huge pre game billing. Still a good crowd though.

Surely that would be attributable mostly, of not all by MCC members and the far larger AFL members reserve?
In part, yes. However there’s a sizeable portion of Essendon (and Carlton, Tigers, Pies) supporters who don’t like Marvel. It’s difficult to access, expensive, difficult to sit with friends and it’s dark and unfriendly.

Also, not recognised is there’s always a neutral crowd turnip that go to MCG games and not Marvel. Mostly MCC and AFL members just wanting to go to the G for a game of footy. That doesn’t really happen to the same degree at Marvel.

Does anybody know why the AFL are continually changing the start times on Sunday’s? This Richmond v West Coast match should be at 1:10pm, not 2:10pm.

Agree. The Eagles still draw well in Victoria. They usually bring between 5-7,000 to MCG games. The Tigers are going reasonably well and should have more fans turning up compared to the Bombers. I was thinking a crowd of around 40-43,000. A few more Tigers fans (form lines) and a ~5,000 less opposition fans.

I will go 43,000 on the number!!

9SEVEN’S AFL: SATURDAY NIGHT FOOTBALLSeven Network291,00012,000174,00021,00039,00045,000

The 39,000 in Adelaide is pretty poor!

The AFL well beaten by the RU Test.

RUGBY: 2022 WALLABIES V ENGLAND 1ST -MATCHNine Network412,000189,00041,00094,00021,00067,000

Fox figures
4LIVE: AFL ADELAIDE V MELBOURNEFOX FOOTY199,000

7LIVE: AFL GOLD COAST V COLLINGWOODFOX FOOTY180,000

8LIVE: AFL ESSENDON V SYDNEYFOX FOOTY176,000

9SEVEN’S AFL: SATURDAY NIGHT FOOTBALLSeven Network291,00012,000174,00021,00039,00045,000

The 39,000 in Adelaide is pretty poor!

The AFL well beaten by the RU Test.

RUGBY: 2022 WALLABIES V ENGLAND 1ST -MATCHNine Network412,000189,00041,00094,00021,00067,000

Fox figures
4LIVE: AFL ADELAIDE V MELBOURNEFOX FOOTY199,000

7LIVE: AFL GOLD COAST V COLLINGWOODFOX FOOTY180,000

8LIVE: AFL ESSENDON V SYDNEYFOX FOOTY176,000
you missed the really bad one.

Just a shocking fixture for the competitiveness of North and the competition from other game and sports.. The clash and crowd didn't help the matters either

Wookie thinks it is the lowest ever with 2 Melbourne sides on fox footy and with no expansions teams involved.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back