Toast 2022 AFL Awards

freodog

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
So how do you explain why Priddis was selected All Australian centreman just one year later? It wasn't like he improved markedly from the age of 29 to 30. He was the same player! It always seemed to me that it took Priddis winning the 2014 Brownlow for people to actually acknowledge he was a good player and to judge him for what he was instead of what he wasn't... Maybe not the most silky-skilled superstar, but an ultra-consistent, hard-working, tackling & contested ball-winning machine.

2014:
Averaged 28.5 disposals... 15.0 contested... 7.3 tackles
Finished 5th Coaches Award (72 votes)
He WON the Brownlow (26 votes)

2015:
Averaged 29.6 disposals... 14.9 contested... 7.3 tackles
Finished 4th Coaches Award (75 votes)
Finished 2nd Brownlow (28 votes)

2015 AA
B: Josh Gibson - Alex Rance - Heath Shaw
HB: Easton Wood - Michael Hurley - Robert Murphy (c)
C: Dan Hannebery - Matt Priddis - Andrew Gaff
HF: Chad Wingard - Jack Riewoldt - Cyril Rioli
F.: Eddie Betts - Josh Kennedy vc - Jake Stringer

R: Todd Goldstein - Nat Fyfe - Patrick Dangerfield

I: Brett Deledio - Robbie Gray - Sam Mitchell - David Mundy

Yeh I think the AA Team is generally on a body of work over a few years. It's unusual that a player will play one excellent year and get in and if a play has had a string of excellent years and has one very good year they are unlikely to fall out.

Just like Daicos could have been in this year but might need a year or 2 of excellent form to get in. Same with Andrew Brayshaw if he racks up another dominant year next year he might move from the bench to on the field.

Yeh I think the AA Team is generally on a body of work over a few years. It's unusual that a player will play one excellent year and get in and if a play has had a string of excellent years and has one very good year they are unlikely to fall out.

Just like Daicos could have been in this year but might need a year or 2 of excellent form to get in. Same with Andrew Brayshaw if he racks up another dominant year next year he might move from the bench to on the field.

I agree, I think you only need to be 80% as good as you were the year you made the AA team to get back in the following year.

Back