Toast 2022 AFL Awards

Remove this Banner Ad

Hugh McLuggage is the only wingman I can see there. It looks like the old cliche of piling stoppage midfielders in at the expense of wings and forwards checks out again.

I think Sean Darcy is unlucky to not make the squad given his impact in the position of ruck is elite, but Gawn and Witts ahead of him is reasonable.
Josh Kelly

fact is if you are at the top of the ladder you get more players whether they're the best in the position or just made to look real good in a winning side.

But Carlton. 9th. Seriously WTF. Does that just indicate how bad the rest of the team is?

Last edited:
fact is if you are at the top of the list you get more players whether they're the best in the position or just made to look real good in a winning side.

But Carlton. 9th. Seriously WTF. Does that just indicate how bad the rest of the team is?

There's a chap in their team called Matthew Owies, I wouldn't let that bloke wash my windows on canning bridge for all the money under the sun.

He's a genuine pleb, but he's no orphan at Carlton.

Who the f*** is Callum Wilkie? Not even joking. Doesn't ring a bell at all. Legit doesn't sound like a real player to me.
I'm with you, I watch my fair share of oppo footy and legit never f**ken heard of him. Do they mean Beau Maister? 🤔🫤

Wilkie is one of the more deserving players, he's a gun defender. Plenty of bigger spuds in that list.

Too many blokes that only played well for half the season like Weitering, Cripps, Crisp, Papley etc and blokes that don't get near it if they played for Us/Gold Coast or weren't a name like Rioli or Bont.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wilkie is one of the more deserving players, he's a gun defender. Plenty of bigger spuds in that list.

Too many blokes that only played well for half the season like Weitering, Cripps, Crisp, Papley etc and blokes that don't get near it if they played for Us/Gold Coast or weren't a name like Rioli or Bont.

Cripps?

Blokes been enormous all year - he's a no brainer best 18 starter.

fact is if you are at the top of the ladder you get more players whether they're the best in the position or just made to look real good in a winning side.

Similar to the endless procession of Friday night games that those w***ers did not earn.
Might be why they are so s**t.
Continually given things that they do not deserve..

Lol, no they're not. In the world of Victorian media they are.
Walsh is truly top notch talent. The rest are well overrated.
Nah. The problem with Carlton has always been their depth. Carlton's top 6 of Weitering, Walsh, Cripps, Curnow, McKay and Saad, might be the best top 6 of any team in the league. Falls away pretty dramatically after that.

I wouldn't be critical of Crisp - a warrior who is the underrated heart and soul of that club.

Yey, also, I call bullshit on us having one defender across the 40 man squad. Young and/or Clark were ripped off
Clark wishes he has the publicity of Nick Daicos, would be a monty if he did.

Looks like a pretty good list for mine. As others have said, Young or Clarke could have got in there - but it generally takes a year of playing well to have a chance of selection the following year. Cox fairly lucky in my opinion. I don't think Darcy had a season good enough. I know it probably doesn't make sense for a team finishing 9th of have 5 players in there and a team finishing 5th of have 2 but I can't make a case of who should be in before those Carlton players.

He's been solid all year, but I'd argue only AA good for half of it.
he's a lot closer to 45 then he is to 22 imo.

Nah. The problem with Carlton has always been their depth. Carlton's top 6 of Weitering, Walsh, Cripps, Curnow, McKay and Saad, might be the best top 6 of any team in the league. Falls away pretty dramatically after that.
They're really not. They're talked up endlessly as a Victorian team with excellent AFL and media connections.
Walsh is every bit an elite midfielder because he performs every week at a high level when not injured. Weitering and Saad are overrated. The other three look amazing for stints.
They're a great highlight reel top 6.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back