Brownlow 2022 AFL Brownlow Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Hannebery was far and away the best player on the day.
Every time long got the ball he chipped it sideways. Not saying he wasn't good, but hanners was sublime that game

Really a shame we pussied out and dumped him, I still think he could have contributed a reasonable amount next year as well as driving standards in the dressing room.

Really a shame we pussied out and dumped him, I still think he could have contributed a reasonable amount next year as well as driving standards in the dressing room.
Like he did the past two years?
The guy played 18 games in 4 years…if we’re still relying on him to help us climb the ladder, we are a joke.
Time to move on from Hanners. No fault of his, but the trade was a fail.

Like he did the past two years?
The guy played 18 games in 4 years…if we’re still relying on him to help us climb the ladder, we are a joke.
Time to move on from Hanners. No fault of his, but the trade was a fail.
THIS

So after 4 years we still need him to drive standards at training in the dressing room etc etc then thats a shocking result from our coaches and our leadership group Steele - Wilkie etc

THIS

So after 4 years we still need him to drive standards at training in the dressing room etc etc then thats a shocking result from our coaches and our leadership group Steele - Wilkie etc

Oh yeah totally agree it's a failure of coaching and development. But I also think that's the situation we're in.

Leadership group this year:

• Steele - L-plate captain, not a natural leader
  • Membrey - not switched on enough to be a good leader
  • Howard - thinks he's a leader but does dumb things frequently
  • Wilkie - probably a decent leader but only a few years into his career
  • Geary - gone

Like who else enters the leadership group next year? As it stands we probably lose our 4 most experienced players from this year.

So then the most experienced players on the list are:

• Hill - probably gone
  • Ross - yeah sure
  • Billings - not a leader
  • Sinclair - not a leader
  • Crouch - doesn't seem to be a leader
  • Webster - not a leader
  • Jones - not a leader
  • Gresham - not a leader
  • Butler - not a leader
  • Wood - not a leader
  • Marshall - maybe? seems too much of a partier
  • Higgins - not a leader
  • Long - probably gone
  • Battle - maybe?
  • McKenzie - not a leader
  • Clark - probably gone
  • King - too young
  • Campbell - too old
  • Paton - barely in the side
  • Coffield - too young

Everyone else has less than 50 games, surely not.

Like I imagine the leadership group next year will be Steele, Membrey, Howard, Wilkie, Ross. Doesn't exactly strike me as premiership quality leadership unfortunately. And then there's no-one behind them. Hanners would surely have been handy to have in the dressing room given as a club we have a void of leadership.

Yeah I'm not saying Hanners didn't have a good game either. But I thought Long was the one who was sublime and easily BOG and faultless. He was a wall, electric and clean. A third of Hanners touches went nowhere. Of course we can respect others opinions though. Longy fell to the midfielders' award. It's a funny thing, our different perspectives. And neither of them will be at the Saints anymore!

Long, as a flanker:
27 touches
96% efficiency
11 contested pos.
17 marks
5 contested marks
11 intercepts
3 tackles
1 goal

Hanners, on the ball:
30 touches
66% efficiency
13 contested pos.
6 tackles
7 clearances
Awesome game from both, but Longs game was unbelievable. I can't remember him missing a kick he took a few great speckies as well. Unbelievable game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back