• AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) commences
Wednesday 09 November at 5.00pm

• AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (1) closes
Friday 11 November at 9.00am

• AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) commences
Tuesday 15 November by 5.00pm

• AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (2) closes
Tuesday 29 November

• AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) commences (10pm)
  • AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) closes (11pm)

Here's a 2022 delisting summary:

Adelaide - Ben Davis, James Rowe, Brett Turner
Brisbane - Nakia Cockatoo, Mitchell Cox, Ryan Lester, Connor McFayden, Ely Smith, Deividas Uosis
Carlton (notable) - Liam Stocker, Tom Williamson, Jack Newnes
Collingwood - Callum Brown, Tyler Brown, Isaac Chugg, Jack Madgen, Liam McMahon, Cooper Murley*, Caleb Poulter
Essendon - Cody Brand, Tom Cutler, Brayden Ham, Garrett McDonagh, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, Alec Waterman
Fremantle - Connor Blakely, Mitch Crowden, Joel Western
Geelong - Francis Evans, Quinton Narkle, Nick Stevens, Paul Tsapatolis, Zane Williams
Gold Coast - Matt Conroy, Oleg Markov, Jez McLennan, Patrick Murtagh, Rhys Nicholls
GWS - Jarrod Brander, Zach Sproule, Jake Stein
Hawthorn - Jackson Callow, Connor Downie, Kyle Hartigan, Daniel Howe, Tom Phillips, Jack Saunders
Melbourne - Oskar Baker, Fraser Rosman
North Melbourne - Jed Anderson, Atu Bosenavulagi, Kyron Hayden, Matt McGuiness, Kayne Turner, Josh Walker, Patrick Walker, Jarred Polec
Port Adelaide - Martin Frederick, Sam Mayes, Taj Schofield, Sam Skinner, Dylan Williams*
Richmond - Jake Aarts, Riley Collier-Dawkins, Will Martyn, Matthew Parker, Sydney Stack
St Kilda - Darragh Joyce, Jarrod Lienert
Sydney - James Bell, Sam Naismith, Barry O'Connor, Ben Ronke, Lewis Taylor
West Coast - Hugh Dixon, Tom Joyce, Zac Langdon, Patrick Naish, Jackson Nelson, Zane Trew, Isiah Winder
Western Bulldogs - Louis Butler, Charlie Parker, Mitch Wallis

* - expected to be re-rookied

And here's who I think we should be looking over - for both AFL and VFL signings - along with brief concerns:

Brisbane
Cockatoo (big offer required, injury history)
McFayden (speed/position issue)

Collingwood
McMahon (still skinny KPF)
Poulter (skinny, position?)

Essendon
Cutler (contract length)

Fremantle
Crowden (endurance, contract length)

Geelong
Evans (endurance/fitness)
Narkle (endurance/fitness)
Williams (endurance, body strength)

Gold Coast
Conroy (versatility)
McLennan (big contract offer, versatility)
Murtagh (endurance)

GWS
Brander (strength/balance, contract length)
Sproule (fitness/repeat sprint, contract length)

Hawthorn
Callow (body strength, versatility)
Downie (short kicking, versatility)
T.Phillips (durability, acceleration)
Saunders (defensive read)

Melbourne
Rosman (body strength, endurance)

North Melbourne
Bosenavulagi (endurance/durability)
Hayden (endurance, work rate in possession)

Port Adelaide
Martin Frederick (endurance/durability)

Richmond
Collier-Dawkins (endurance)
Stack (endurance/durability)

St Kilda
D.Joyce (body strength, agility)
Lienert (body strength)

Sydney
O'Connor (defensive read)

West Coast
T.Joyce (durability)
Naish (contested read, body strength)
Winder (endurance)

Western Bulldogs
Wallis (durability)

From that, the ones I'd be seriously (and realistically) talking to about AFL list spots are:

Poulter (mid)
Sproule (KPF/KPD)
Martin Frederick (BP)
Collier-Dawkins (mid)
Stack (FP)
Lienert (KPD/def)
T.Joyce (mid/wing)
Winder (mid/fwd)
Wallis (mid/fwd)

Last edited:
Don't think many will be picked up prior to the draft

Also, a fair few missing from that list, some of which could be considered by clubs, such as Jed Anderson, Callum Brown, Tippa, Narkle

Definitely need some ready to go KPF depth. I liked Sproule in his draft year, have liked him at times in his AFL career. Maybe even Josh Walker back in his proper position for a year or so as a break glass option, he was actually a half decent forward before the Lions needed him to become a defender.

Josh Walker or Ned Cahill for me, depending on how the draft unfolds.

Not expecting us to be active here. At best we may leave a spot open for the SSP and see if anyone makes an impact through the preseason.

As I've posted about previously I'd be very happy to see either Josh Walker or Caleb Poulter thrown a lifeline.

Crowden, Sproule, Frederick and Phillips are the only others I'd consider from the list in the OP.

Definitely need some ready to go KPF depth. I liked Sproule in his draft year, have liked him at times in his AFL career. Maybe even Josh Walker back in his proper position for a year or so as a break glass option, he was actually a half decent forward before the Lions needed him to become a defender.
I'd be keener on Brander for that, but I'd be chatting to Murtagh about where his fitness and mentality are at. Gold Coast were similarly trying to turn him into a defender but he's a brute of a forward with great pace.

Not expecting us to be active here. At best we may leave a spot open for the SSP and see if anyone makes an impact through the preseason.

As I've posted about previously I'd be very happy to see either Josh Walker or Caleb Poulter thrown a lifeline.

Crowden, Sproule, Frederick and Phillips are the only others I'd consider from the list in the OP.
Crowden was very close to making my shortlist, but ultimately much more of a fan of Joyce and Wallis if they're on track to be in good nick.

Phillips looks like he has lost a step to me, and he needs that straight line speed to survive at the level.

Francis Evans sounds like a diplomat...
This is an interesting one by Port though, as he's a prolific and intelligent general forward, without really having any other AFL edge right now other than being strong overhead. Needs to seriously up his endurance base to get free at AFL level and do damage.
Fergus Greene sounds like a leprechaun!
More athletic than Evans, and having a great leap to be a match-up headache. Astute pick up by the Hawks in the wake of their list changes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sad Futurama GIF

Are we talking about Josh Walker from North Melbourne? The worst team in the comp who were battling for key position players?

I am not a fan of Josh Walker AT ALL, but... rebuilding sides often throw out serviceable older players.

I don't want to draft Walker, but you can't write him off simply because North dumped him.

You could make a case that Walker is a break in case of emergency depth option who can play KPD, KPF and pinch hit in the ruck......if desperate....maybe..... I guess..... sigh.....

Kind of like a Casboult from The Reject Shop.

Why recruit three cheap KPP spuds for depth when you can recruit one KPP spud who can sort of provide almost-adequate cover for all three?

You could make a case that Walker is a break in case of emergency depth option who can play KPD, KPF and pinch hit in the ruck......if desperate....maybe..... I guess..... sigh.....

Kind of like a Casboult from The Reject Shop.

Why recruit three cheap KPP spuds for depth when you can recruit one KPP spud who can sort of provide almost-adequate cover for all three?
If we'd dropped Sam Durdin, maybe consider Walker, but no need for both.

Are we talking about Josh Walker from North Melbourne? The worst team in the comp who were battling for key position players?

This argument only really stacks up if you think North Melbourne are list management doyens.

Back to back spoons - with a strong chance of a threepeat - would suggest they are not.

Polec is very average. Brings no heart to the contest.

Would be very surprised if is not being currently investigated for fraud if the reports that he was getting (and will get a payout for this year) $700k per year at North are correct.

30 years old in a position that we have just recruited to rectify means it would be a big no for me

I would hate to go to the tip with plenty on here. Would forever be coming home with more than we got rid of.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back