• trade back in with a future second for someone else

• only take MM and keep the other spot for PSD/rookie

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our draft haul:

Pick 17 - Max Michalanney (matched F/S)
Pick 43 - Billy Dowling
Pick 50 - Hugh Bond

Rookie Pick 5 - Andrew McPherson (re-listed)
Rookie Pick 21 - Paul Seedsman (re-listed)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Phillipou is on the board at Pick 10, why would the Saints only accept a future 1st and future 2nd - both speculative picks - for it? On the clock they'd be asking for two 1sts as a bare minimum and rightly so.
Those picks are probably 6-8 and 21 in a much better draft.

It'd be borderline insanity not to say yes if all you're giving up is pick 10. I'd be disappointed if we offered it.

Last edited:

Those picks are probably 6-8 and 21 in a much better draft.

It'd be borderline insanity not to say yes if all your giving up is pick 10. I'd be disappointed if we offered it.
I agree, and teams will know the strengths of the drafts.

Our F1 would be more than generous. If Saints are asking 2x1sts next year, they're late picks.

No way we should give that up.

Pick 6 or so in a much better draft plus 21 for pick 10?
It’s moreso pick 6 + 21 for Phillipou. I reckon we’d offer the same deal to the Bombers, for instance. You’re paying for the specific target, not the pick

That said I don’t reckon it happens

I’d be interested in that too: as I don’t recall anyone saying that

Volbeat let us know a fortnight out that meatball was the pick and I don’t recall anyone arguing that
And your usually an expert on the use of the search facility...You're slipping Colonel.

Posts plural
monkey1.gif

TBF .....without context, that post is damning

However, my point in the post was using pick#4 on a small fwd, when we were DESPERATE for an elite midfielder ....I couldn't fathom doing that with #4

And yes, I still stand by all my comments

12 months on, we're still in the same boat ....I still contend we should have orchestrated a deal for Finn Callaghan (191cm midfielder) or Mac Andrew (200cm will be something) ......you can't tell me they would be worse selections than Rachelle & more suiting to our still unsatisfied needs

Needs that unless we fix .....no premiership to be forthcoming

View attachment 1561846

TBF .....without context, that post is damning

However, my point in the post was using pick#4 on a small fwd, when we were DESPERATE for an elite midfielder ....I couldn't fathom doing that with #4

And yes, I still stand by all my comments

12 months on, we're still in the same boat ....I still contend we should have orchestrated a deal for Finn Callaghan (191cm midfielder) or Mac Andrew (200cm will be something) ......you can't tell me they would be worse selections than Rachelle & more suiting to our still unsatisfied needs

Needs that unless we fix .....no premiership to be forthcoming
There's others mate, you were over the top on Rachele, we all get it wrong at times.

Let's wait and see because I contend both Rachele and Rankine will play quite a bit of midfield when they have the endurance required.
Rachele has footy smarts very few players have.

There's others mate, you were over the top on Rachele, we all get it wrong at times.

Let's wait and see because I contend both Rachele and Rankine will play quite a bit of midfield when they have the endurance required.
Rachele has footy smarts very few players have.
I'm not denying that for a minute .....just IMO Callaghan / Andrew plus Rankine this year were the better combo for future success

Interesting discussion .....if we knew we were going to be getting Rankine ...would we have made the same choice re Rachelle
It's the argument of ball generator (midfielder) versus the finisher .......what's our Achilles heel again ?

I'm not denying that for a minute .....just IMO Callaghan / Andrew plus Rankine this year were the better combo for future success

Interesting discussion .....if we knew we were going to be getting Rankine ...would we have made the same choice re Rachelle
It's the argument of ball generator (midfielder) versus the finisher .......what's our Achilles heel again ?
To be fair, it did feel like we tried to get up to get Callaghan anyway. When we didn't, Rachele was the right call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing is due to Covid in Victoria Rachele really had very limited opportunity to show his wares as a 17 year old or 18 year old.....at the U16's Championships he was rated the best 16 year old in the country by the selection panel winning the Championships M.V.P/ and Vic Country's M.V.P. playing midfield mostly where he generated a shedload of ball.

Edit : I might add Connor Rozee won the 2016 U16's M.V.P. at the Championships (Kevin Sheahan Medal) playing midfield.....it's only the latter part of 2022 that he's had any real midfield time.

Last edited:
To be fair, it did feel like we tried to get up to get Callaghan anyway. When we didn't, Rachele was the right call.
In an Adelaide conservative way ....MELB current demonstrating aggressive trading strategies to get their targeted player .....we don't do that

Look, we've got a good player in Rachelle ....but both my alternative player options were as good, and more a need

In an Adelaide conservative way ....MELB current demonstrating aggressive trading strategies to get their targeted player .....we don't do that

Look, we've got a good player in Rachelle ....but both my alternative player options were as good, and more a need
I agree. And when we gave up pick 5 for Rankine people lost their sh*t.

If we want our blue chip mid we are going to have to give up a fair bit of value. Which I'm fine with. At least we now seem to be able to get players to want to come to us.

I agree. And when we gave up pick 5 for Rankine people lost their sh*t.

If we want our blue chip mid we are going to have to give up a fair bit of value. Which I'm fine with. At least we now seem to be able to get players to want to come to us.
MELB offering both of their F1 x 2 picks to get into the top 10 this year, has been applauded in some media circles .....it's an interesting debate .....get your targeted player now, worry about your future, when it comes

It's understandably got critics .....if Clubs assume players won't move in the future & cover what you've spent

Did MELB plan for Jackson leaving ? .....did they plan on getting his replacement Grundy for a handful of beans
Fremantle gets Luke Jackson, Picks 44 and 67. Melbourne gets Pick 13, the Dockers’ future first-round pick and the Dockers’ future second-round pick

MELB offering both of their F1 x 2 picks to get into the top 10 this year, has been applauded in some media circles .....it's an interesting debate .....get your targeted player now, worry about your future, when it comes

It's understandably got critics .....if Clubs assume players won't move in the future & cover what you've spent

Did MELB plan for Jackson leaving ? .....did they plan on getting his replacement Grundy for a handful of beans
Makes heaps of sense for Melbourne. They have no need for a couple more late first rounders, but a top 10 pick could make a difference. Particularly when brought in a year earlier.

We're not quite in that position, so moving picks around to get late firsts/ early seconds makes sense and giving them up has a cost (particularly if Hamish has another Soligo in mind). But we should still be looking to trade up for the really good kids, ie 2 top 10 picks (2023 and 2024) for a top 4 pick (or top trade target).

Back