• trade back in with a future second for someone else

• only take MM and keep the other spot for PSD/rookie

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our draft haul:

Pick 17 - Max Michalanney (matched F/S)
Pick 43 - Billy Dowling
Pick 50 - Hugh Bond

Rookie Pick 5 - Andrew McPherson (re-listed)
Rookie Pick 21 - Paul Seedsman (re-listed)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Underwhelming? A pretty reasonable job IMO.

5, 23, 40, 23/3, 23/4 into Rankine, Michalanney, Dowling, Bond, and 23/2 (north)

5 = Rankine
23, 40 into Michalanney and 23/2 (north)
23/3 and 23/4 into Dowling and Bond

Did we get a ruck? No
Did we get Philippou? No

But it looks more than acceptable.

We gave up almost all of the draft capital that comes with finishing a win out of the bottom 4 solving none of our chronic problems, and held onto never will be and past it players so strongly that we used up two rookie draft picks getting two of them back.

Underwhelming was charitable

I'm frustrated that we didn't grab a developing tall defender, and that we don't have a bluechip midfield prospect coming through.

Hopefully Rachele can actually be that in the midfield, and hopefully Pedlar becomes something.

I struggle to summon any concern about not having a young ruck. There's way more important things to prioritise.

Or we couldn't get back into the draft this year. Verrall to the Dees - it's a long way back for him to get a game, you'd think he was at least 4 years before he'd be pushing for selection with Gawn and Grundy on the list.
He can learn from them the next year or 2 and we can pick him up later if he looks any good, as he'll be 3rd choice minimum there

So no one saw any value in James Rowe...
Yeah that bullshit that the Dogs had interest when they took 2 smalls Charlie Clarke and Harvey Gallagher that both have what Jimmy lacks...serious speed

The other team in the same position us don't seem too dumb. Weren't they a kick away from the Grand Final 2 months ago?

It's not bullshit - you are extremely negative.
Let’s see if they go 8 years without drafting a ruck.

I’m negative when it’s warranted, which is a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm frustrated that we didn't grab a developing tall defender, and that we don't have a bluechip midfield prospect coming through.

Hopefully Rachele can actually be that in the midfield, and hopefully Pedlar becomes something.

I struggle to summon any concern about not having a young ruck. There's way more important things to prioritise.
clearly mcasey is going to be fine and be ready for round 1 and is in the afl best 22 🤣

anyway agree and same for developing ruck for me

this has been a fail

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn’t creep into absolutely every aspect of my posting, that’s just bullshit.

Do you know why I am raising the lack of a developing ruck right now? Because guess what, we’ve just had the draft!! Knock me down with a feather that I should raise the list imbalance when we’ve just drafted more mids.

What I really should be posting about now is how good Sloaneys hair looks.

But as a club we have made many poor decisions and this is IMO is another example of one, my evidence? We are only one of 2 clubs without a ruck under 25 years old, but maybe we are the smart ones.
There’s no guarantee what we’ve done will turn out worse than if we had of drafted a ruck onto rookie list

I still got frustrated but that’s more about me thinking Verall could be something , maybe they think differbetly after meeting him or concerned re his injuries

Maybe they don’t want U18 rucks on their list at all , maybe the mid season draft has changed things

Only they have their reasons

Well so that makes it us and Collingwood without a ruck under 25
Why do you keep saying this, we have Thilthore and Himmelberg.

Himmelberg complete break in emergency, but we still have him - good enough in a rebuild year when we won't make finals.

Besides that, we have 3-4 years in ROB and Strachan.

Himmelberg complete break in emergency, but we still have him - good enough in a rebuild year when we won't make finals.

Really Thilthorpe should be a break-in-case-of-emergency too, forward development needs to be a priority with him as much as possible. Shouldn't struggle if put in the ruck, though

With the draft all done, here's the drafts since 2007

View attachment 1564969

train trainwreck GIF

It wouldn’t surprise me if we end up playing Thilthorpe and Himmelberg as our ruck / forwards

I’m probably not as down on Himmelberg as some and rate TT’s potential in ruck

Still annoyed re Verrall though 😂

There’s no guarantee what we’ve done will turn out worse than if we had of drafted a ruck onto rookie list

I still got frustrated but that’s more about me thinking Verall could be something , maybe they think differbetly after meeting him or concerned re his injuries

Maybe they don’t want U18 rucks on their list at all , maybe the mid season draft has changed things

Only they have their reasons
There is no guarantee with any player we draft, but we haven’t drafted one rookie ruck since 2014!! Which ended up being our lead ruck!!

I just don’t understand the logic in ignoring an area of your list.

As for trading one in, what’s easier? Drafting one or trying to convince one to come and then having to trade for one?

Look I have harped on about this long enough, it was an observation I’ve made that I’ve had to argue over and over.

I and 16 of the other clubs are wrong about the value of having a young ruck on the list and those defending this list management on here plus Hamish/Reid are correct.

If we'd been able to offload Crouch onto someone and been able to grab a ruck/KPD with that last list spot, we'd look a lot more balanced.

Back