• trade back in with a future second for someone else

• only take MM and keep the other spot for PSD/rookie

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our draft haul:

Pick 17 - Max Michalanney (matched F/S)
Pick 43 - Billy Dowling
Pick 50 - Hugh Bond

Rookie Pick 5 - Andrew McPherson (re-listed)
Rookie Pick 21 - Paul Seedsman (re-listed)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

geez D'Aloia and Ryan would be devastated

Really disappointed that we missed out on Verrall. And for what? 1 more year of mcpherson?

Not sure if it’s just you repeatedly posting about McPherson or if it’s several posters. It’s highly unlikely we had the cap space to pay him out even if we wanted to - it’s not common to cut and pay out players in contract either
McPherosn was always staying on the list for next year - move on

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not sure if it’s just you repeatedly posting about McPherson or if it’s several posters. It’s highly unlikely we had the cap space to pay him out even if we wanted to - it’s not common to cut and pay out players in contract either
McPherosn was always staying on the list for next year - move on

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Doubtful cap space is the issue as we are hardly at the max of our cap.

More likely we are giving him 1 last chance to have a decent injury run.

Really disappointed that we missed out on Verrall. And for what? 1 more year of mcpherson?
For me Kobe Ryan especially, given his running power, obvious versatility and very neat skill set. Also the fact he more than proved himself against the bigger bodies in the SANFL league including an outstanding game against the Crows SANFL team chock-full of AFL listed players.

Doubtful cap space is the issue as we are hardly at the max of our cap.

More likely we are giving him 1 last chance to have a decent injury run.
I think it's been explained multiple times how it's very likely that 2022 cap space is exactly the reason we couldn't cut another player early, on top of Luke Brown.

2 (likely 4) years of Hugh Bond, seeing the move to the rookie list for McPherson opened up that list spot.

There is certainly a soul destroying element to a club to wholly delist McPherson after he agreed to that, and we've already lived through a decade of that s**t.

Agree with mutineer re Kobe Ryan. Had a stellar season, blitz the under 18's, reserves and more than held his own in the league. His debut league game against the Adelaide/Crows team was terrific , had 22 disposals and 2 goals in a losing team. Proved he could hack it with the big boys.

Backs up my theory multiple clubs were keen on Bailey Humphrey and there was alot of behind the scenes work to get up to take him

Also that the top 11 or 12 picks were standouts compared to rest of the draft so it was going to be difficult to trade up even though alot of clubs tried

Also backs up the info mutineer received re the crows rating Phillipou and the fact they met with him multiple times in last 2-3 weeks pre draft (yes they rated Rankine priority )

Backs up my theory multiple clubs were keen on Bailey Humphrey and there was alot of behind the scenes work to get up to take him

Also that the top 11 or 12 picks were standouts compared to rest of the draft so it was going to be difficult to trade up even though alot of clubs tried

Also backs up the info mutineer received re the crows rating Phillipou and the fact they met with him multiple times in last 2-3 weeks pre draft (yes they rated Rankine priority )
Interesting that it was only a future first we offered up, if we were super keen on him we would have chucked in a second

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that it was only a future first we offered up, if we were super keen on him we would have chucked in a second
TAFKATMS said one of our 2nds was also on the table and I'm taking his word for it every day of the week and twice on Sundays. I remember several posters at certain stages were calling it bullshit we were even interested in facilitating a deal to get Mattaes. Red flags my ass.

TAFKATMS said one of our 2nds was also on the table and I'm taking his word for it every day of the week and twice on Sundays. I remember several posters at certain stages were calling it bullshit we were even interested in facilitating a deal to get Mattaes. Red flags my ass.
I have no reason to doubt him as he provides good intel and I appreciate it. But we were also told it will come out in the wash, well this article was supposed to do that and there was no mention of it.

Besides offering up a future first for him shows we did value him, but realistically it wasn’t going to be enough to get it done. If we rated him that highly I hope it wasn’t a case of us holding back.

It says future first, if it was a second two why wouldn’t it be mentioned when details of all the offers were laid out?
Doubt it got past 2nd base given we had nothing in this years draft to include , will be interested to hear Tafkams take

Offering a future 1st likely top 10 if not top 7 pick in next years ‘super draft ‘ for pick 10 in this years draft is a pretty big offer regardless

Shows we rated Phillipou v highly and also that other clubs did too

Humphrey is also the boom player of the draft by the sounds , multiple clubs including us were keen , his career will be worth watching

The top 11 or 12 of this draft will be as well performed as any IMO , bit of a lottery after but will produce good players past that point too , just harder to work out who they will be

I have no reason to doubt him as he provides good intel and I appreciate it. But we were also told it will come out in the wash, well this article was supposed to do that and there was no mention of it.

Besides offering up a future first for him shows we did value him, but realistically it wasn’t going to be enough to get it done. If we rated him that highly I hope it wasn’t a case of us holding back.
You gotta remember we supposedly didn’t rate Phillipou and the ‘red flags ‘ argument

It’s definitely come out in the wash

I think we could have got Philipou and Rankine for pick 5 and our future first, without giving up too much else, but we failed to get maximum value for pick 5

You believe what you want to believe, I also heard we had very big interest in Mattaes early on and hoped we could facilitate a deal but Izak was always our number one priority. As for those that claimed we didn't rate him and we had red flags on him....brahahahaha.

As it turned out Essendon were very very unlikely to accept the deal because they had settled on taking one of either Tsatas or Phillipou.

Last edited:
I think we might have been able to somehow too

With a bit more creative thinking
Probably hard to do so, considering:

1) any team we would’ve traded with would’ve wanted a pick in this year’s draft back, as well as a future pick
2) not many teams seemed to want to trade out of the first round by all means necessary, this year (the only one that did got incredible pick value - Swans)
3) expected first round bid on MM complicated things more than usual, re: possessing picks around the late teens/early 20’s

You believe what you want to believe, I also heard we had very big interest in Mattaes early on and hoped we could facilitate a deal but Izak was always our number one priority. As for those that claimed we didn't rate him and we had red flags on him....brahahahaha.

As it turned out Essendon were very very unlikely to accept the deal because they had settled on taking one of either Tsatas or Phillipou.
What are you suggesting I do or don’t believe

Probably hard to do so, considering:

1) any team we would’ve traded with would’ve wanted a pick in this year’s draft back, as well as a future pick
2) not many teams seemed to want to trade out of the first round by all means necessary, this year (the only one that did got incredible pick value - Swans)
3) expected first round bid on MM complicated things more than usual, re: possessing picks around the late teens/early 20’s
Yep also considering we had a fair amount of interest in Harry Barnett if we couldn't get the Phillipou deal over the line, obviously we stuck to our set draft board ratings re Barnett.
It was no real surprise when Barnett went to WCE as their Nic Nat replacement obviously they were set on him, of course at no time was our 1st on the table for him...also no surprise we've recontracted Strachan and Murray so soon after the draft.

Last edited:
Back