List Mgmt. 2022 AFL Draft & Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Overall i think a pretty solid crop of new blues. Cowan looks the real deal. I don't quite agree with the Binns selection but wish him well and back him in of course. Hollands i reckon will be a ripper for us.
I'm a little perplexed :think:we now seem to have a surplus of wingers, especially with LOB and Cottrell coming on and the aquisition of Acres.
Now Hollands & Binns, there's only two wing positions, perhaps Cottrell can work into a HFF role ?
Don't quite get it, we've really gone all in on the two way run, endurance side this draft. Perhaps to the detriment of depth in other positional needs.
Interested in others thoughts on this.
Cheers and of course, Go Blues !

Overall i think a pretty solid crop of new blues. Cowan looks the real deal. I don't quite agree with the Binns selection but wish him well and back him in of course. Hollands i reckon will be a ripper for us.
I'm a little perplexed :think:we now seem to have a surplus of wingers, especially with LOB and Cottrell coming on and the aquisition of Acres.
Now Hollands & Binns, there's only two wing positions, perhaps Cottrell can work into a HFF role ?
Don't quite get it, we've really gone all in on the two way run, endurance side this draft. Perhaps to the detriment of depth in other positional needs.
Holland's has shown ability to play HBF and on ball
Binns has shown ability to play HBF, Wing and HFF
Cowan has shown ability to play HBF and Wing and has the traits and size to potentially move into an on ball role later in his career.

As for all of them they'll need time in the gym and refining their craft but all 3 are flexible and will provide elite run from wherever they are positioned on the ground in coming years. Much more versatile than LoB and Cotters though they may take some time to break in

.... once we clear a few OOC mid size players that are superfluous to needs

How long have you been trying to squeeze that one into a sentence?

My dad had an employee work for him for ~30 years. A weird unit called Louis.

One day Louis dropped superfluous into a sentence, but he deadset (unironically) pronounced it like it rhymed with his own name.... Super-flew-us....

My dad said he needed to leave the room in order to maintain a straight face...

One day Louis dropped superfluous into a sentence, but he deadset (unironically) pronounced it like it rhymed with his own name.... Super-flew-us....

I would have fired him on the spot. There’s no coming back from that one.

Overlap run and hopefully better transition as we add layers.

Wingers who can push deep back (like O’Brien), often saw Owies and Corey Durdin deep in defence, and later in the season Motlop. Acres and O’Brien get first crack IMO.

HFF who can push up to the wing. Martin and Fisher in 2022. Can see Cottrell in the role in 2023.

And expect to see more of Harry, Charlie and JSOS up the ground as the target for the first kick out of defence.

I’m happy with the rest, but for list balance I would have preferred Hotton over Binns

Of course now that Binns is a Blues, he’ll go on to be a better player and have a much better career than Hotton :D

BTW Too early, but I’d assume we are likely aiming for talls next draft
I too am a little unconvinced on Binns, but certainly cannot knock his workrate. I just have queries on his disposal and I am big on improving connection. Have to back our professionals though. He has plenty of attributes to like.

Not so sure about talls, will depend on coming season output, attitude and workrate of Lemmey, S.Durdin, Kemp, Marchbank, Mirkov maybe Akuei, and our established rucks health and trajectory. If Durdin plays well enough to stay in contention and Lemmey realises his early potential, we are loaded.

Also will depend on what prospects fall to our pick(s). For mine, only potentially in the market for one more over the next three years and if things go well, no rush. (Having said that next year Daniel Curtin projects as the best KPD prospect since Weiters.)

Think you're on the money with Cottrell to HFF, we've learned the hard way about the value of players who don't panic in front of goal

Hi peeps.

I've had a long, tiring 2022 and am going to go walkabout over the off-season. Just thought I'd put it out there.... you know, in case nobody noticed I was gone :p

In advance, Merry Xmas, Kwanza, Channuka, Festivus, Gregorian New Year, Lunar New Year, The List Finally Looks Healthy Hour and Annual Training The House Down Day.

Please leave an SSP spot open for me to rejoin the BF list in 2023 ;)

Hi peeps.

I've had a long, tiring 2022 and am going to go walkabout over the off-season. Just thought I'd put it out there.... you know, in case nobody noticed I was gone :p

In advance, Merry Xmas, Kwanza, Channuka, Festivus, Gregorian New Year, Lunar New Year, The List Finally Looks Healthy Hour and Annual Training The House Down Day.

Please leave an SSP spot open for me to rejoin the BF list in 2023 ;)
Have a fab break ferris. Expect the jokes to be top shelf in 2023, with the time off to work on them. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Binns may have been the weak link in our recruiting but not after watching this, twice.
Cowan and Hollands also played but Binns was better. Maybe best on ground.

I thought Binns may have been the weak link in our recruiting but not after watching this, twice.

Any possibility of TLDW summary? :hearteyes:

Any possibility of TLDW summary? :hearteyes:
I know next to nothing about evaluating players but to my untrained eye he looks to be a very smart footballer with good awareness who positions himself well to receive the ball. I think this was the game in which he had 40 odd possessions so he sure can find it.
He probably doesn't have that burst of speed that sets him apart from others but of course he does have superb endurance and running power.
Great at handballing, but he missed more than a few targets with his kicks including a goal by a whisker so that's something he's got to improve. But hey, if he had that elite acceleration and kicking he probably wouldn't even have been there at our first pick, let alone third.
As I said, I'm no expert but that's how he looked to me.

Good thing his name wasn't Chuck

Any particular moments? Also what number is he?

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know next to nothing about evaluating players but to my untrained eye he looks to be a very smart footballer with good awareness who positions himself well to receive the ball. I think this was the game in which he had 40 odd possessions so he sure can find it.
He probably doesn't have that burst of speed that sets him apart from others but of course he does have superb endurance and running power.
Great at handballing, but he missed more than a few targets with his kicks including a goal by a whisker so that's something he's got to improve. But hey, if he had that elite acceleration and kicking he probably wouldn't even have been there at our first pick, let alone third.
As I said, I'm no expert but that's how he looked to me.
His burst is very concerning, and I hope hard work was put into why that is and what can be done about it. He can't keep up with enough of the transitional play, which is how wing is played these days.

I don't understand what his position is at AFL level if he's going to lose a lot of foot races.

His burst is very concerning, and I hope hard work was put into why that is and what can be done about it. He can't keep up with enough of the transitional play, which is how wing is played these days.

I don't understand what his position is at AFL level if he's going to lose a lot of foot races.
He didn't seem slow at all, just average compared to all the players around him ... I don't recall any blistering speed is what I meant. He certainly appeared not to have a problem with transitional play and getting from contest to contest. Watch the game and see what you think.

He didn't seem slow at all, just average compared to all the players around him ... I don't recall any blistering speed is what I meant. He certainly appeared not to have a problem with transitional play and getting from contest to contest. Watch the game and see what you think.
That's what I'm watching, and I'm seeing him drift in late at each end. At AFL level, you have to be able to find that burst so you can recover from any mistakes. It's possible to play mistake free of course, just incredibly unlikely.

Remember this is what he's doing at junior level, the AFL is a massive leap forward in terms of the number of people who will make those overlap runs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back