Game Day 2022 AFL Draft thread.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We usually do a GD Draft thread to keep the stuff out if the Drafting and trading thread.

WE will close that one for now and reopen after the draft.

Ive copied the last 25 posts over to keep the chat going.

All Draft talk in here now please.

GO Catters

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Wells interview:

• top four on their list will be gone
  • concentrated on a group of about 10 players
  • chance we moved back in the order
  • Mackie dealing with a number of interested clubs re moving back
  • didn’t have a player in mind when receiving pick 7
  • draft ranking has changed but not drastically
  • only just finished psych profiling and interviewing
  • still no idea who they’ll get tonight because they don’t know who will be left
  • if we draft Jhye it won’t be because he’s local, it will be because he’s the best player at that pick
  • if they rate players the same they’d go for the local option
  • will pick the player that best complements the existing group, not concerned where they’re from in the country
  • almost calm about tonight because they’re confident there’ll be good players where they pick
  • Wells wants trading to open up more and allow clubs to do whatever they want to do with less scrutiny from AFL
  • feels list is well placed to continue challenging
  • re Oisin Mullin, covid uncertainty was the big factor in him not joining last year
  • a lot of our players went over to Ireland over the break and met Mullin
  • sees Mullin as a running defender
  • Mullin arrives at the club tomorrow
  • re scouting Irish players, want them to be able to run and show a natural game sense
  • confident Mullin’s kicking, run, carry and overhead work will be good

Waiting all day for a phone call.... guess when it came :(

No specific stuff on moving back?

If that reported Melbourne deal of 2 future first round picks (one tied to Fremantle finish} plus pick 13 in this year's draft was offered to us and Clark was off the table I would take it in a heartbeat.

But the likelihood of who they are after ... being still on the board is unlikely...so I doubt they would offer it. I doubt they are traing up to get weddle.

Its probably someone like McKenzie or Tsatis ... at a guess

I think we were hoping he would get to us at 58 but looks like he will go early-mid r2 now. North melb and coll linked and i assume gws would be keen given their need for small fwds.

He looks a real spark plug; ready to go at 22, too - could see him being exactly the type CS would love running up and down the wings - ah well, perhaps in a few years time …

Any number I said would be pure conjecture ...

it only takes one clubs. If a club falls in love with a player then sometimes thats all it takes. My guess is its probably not top 30 and thats nothing to do if he can play or not. If he is good as Dempsey he will be a good addition to someone list.

Thanks for that - I’ll take a guess with GWS @ 19

He looks a real spark plug; ready to go at 22, too - could see him being exactly the type CS would love running up and down the wings - ah well, perhaps in a few years time …

better than this guy? He reminds me a bit of saad

Screen Shot 2022-11-28 at 1.59.45 pm.png

Latest rumour (posted on main board from Herald Sun late draft mail) is that North at 23 are very interested, but if he makes it past there, Collingwood will take him with their second pick at Pick 25.

I'm happy to steer well away from that, he was supposed to be a smokey

trade 7 for Bulldogs -11/21

11 - Busslinger - key Def
21- Barnett - Ruck/For

Busslinger & SDK together for next 12 years

Barnett & Conway can develop when Stanley retires & Ceglar delisted end of 2023
I think the problem with this occurs if the club genuinely rates sav as a KPD then there is no immediate need to draft one and our value will be better spent on a cream mid which we will absolutely need in the next 3 years once danger duncan smith are all gone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

better than this guy? He reminds me a bit of saad

View attachment 1562622

They can nab him @ #31 😉

GWS need to nail this draft to avoid the very real risk of slipping into (further) irrelevance…

A mix of young top end talent and a couple of older guys ready to step into onfield roles from the get-go might work well for them …

Wells interview:

• still no idea who they’ll get tonight because they don’t know who will be left
  • if we draft Jhye it won’t be because he’s local, it will be because he’s the best player at that pick
  • will pick the player that best complements the existing group, not concerned where they’re from in the country
  • almost calm about tonight because they’re confident there’ll be good players where they pick
  • Wells wants trading to open up more and allow clubs to do whatever they want to do with less scrutiny from AFL
  • re Oisin Mullin, covid uncertainty was the big factor in him not joining last year
  • re scouting Irish players, want them to be able to run and show a natural game sense
Could you please elaborate on this?

Thank you for taking the time to do the summary.

We will take buslinger and a winger.
It doesn’t matter if Clark is available.

In 3 years, we will need a tall back.
The time is now.
Glad to see other people agree with me. Ever since I heard Selwood took Busslinger under his wing I thought it was destiny.

Lot of talls mooted to go in that 10-20 range if they think thats the area of need splitting the pick makes sense.

Just for more keen followers than myself, why would we trade back when this draft falls away pretty quickly? Reminds me of 2019 where as soon as you're out of the top 10 or so everyone else is pretty mediocre (save for a few hidden gems like Warner)

I can understand if it's for a future first as it's a stronger draft where 14 next year might be the equivalent to 5 this year...but if it's for two late firsts this year it just feels a bit underwhelming.

Wells interview:

Didnt give much away (thanks for update) but reading between the lines sounds like we are getting more offers to move back in the order than i thought

If that reported Melbourne deal of 2 future first round picks (one tied to Fremantle finish} plus pick 13 in this year's draft was offered to us and Clark was off the table I would take it in a heartbeat.

I would take that for 7 yes but i doubt melb offer it to us unless one of humphrey or phil is still there at 7.

Just for more keen followers than myself, why would we trade back when this draft falls away pretty quickly? Reminds me of 2019 where as soon as you're out of the top 10 or so everyone else is pretty mediocre (save for a few hidden gems like Warner)

I can understand if it's for a future first as it's a stronger draft where 14 next year might be the equivalent to 5 this year...but if it's for two late firsts this year it just feels a bit underwhelming.

I doubt it would be for more picks this year as we are only taking 2 picks. Trading back would be to get an extra future 1st which given our lack of 2023 picks could appeal. (Ie 7 for 11 and fr1, or 13 and fr1 etc etc)

Don’t think we will have to worry about trading back. I’m all for it up to the Bulldogs pick. Probably means our partners are limited to ST K or the Bulldogs. The HS are now reporting that the Dogs are now dealing with the Bombers.

It’s a pretty clear sign (if you listed to all those recruiters) that there is a top 13. Trading with Melb or Sydney doesn’t get you there. You also guaranteed mediocre picks next year.

The Bulldogs want Tsatas according to the HS. If we went back to 12 we’d probably still have one of Ed Allan and Busslinger to choose from. We clearly like both.

Hypothetically
Clark Vs Allan/Busslinger PLUS a Future 1st (either theirs or the one tied to Brisbane). It’s a no brainer for me.

I definitely wouldn’t be trading down unless we still ended up with one of the top 13 in this years draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back