List Mgmt. 2022 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

what? they're years away from forming a side
Be anywhere after 2024
Given we've a few Father-Sons coming up, no doubt the AFL will do something like temporarily put that on hold or allow Tasmania to match bids at a reduced cost, so Tasmania gets first crack at all the good talent at a reduced price. Something that stuffs us without hurting the Vic clubs anyway.

We did alright out of the GC and GWS expansion drafts getting Wines and Wingard
Yes, although if we do start a rebuild in the next few years, it would be nice for us to get uncompromised access to the draft (apart from clubs being able to match father son bids, etc). Everyone else gets the opportunity to rebuild properly.

We did alright out of the GC and GWS expansion drafts getting Wines and Wingard
Yeah no we didn’t. The afl handing the expan sides the key to the drafts for a chunk of our struggling years handicapped us massively. It took some creative trading and good drafting after that to somewhat minimise the damage.

One of the upsides of finishing low on the ladder isn’t just your early first pick, it’s your subsequent draft picks are early, ie 2nd rounder is almost a first rounder and early 3rds as well that still have currency.

We might have hit on our early picks but the rest of our draft haul through that era was mid draft and later and we had to try to pick up gems amongst the slim leftovers (like Dbj and Amon).

Currently we have the first and 3rd draft rd positions at 1 and 49. Sydney have our 2nd at 18 , that Ladhams deal is looking costly.
I believe west coast has our 2nd, as we used it to trade up from Sydney’s first rounder to west coasts to land Josh sinn.

West coast are going to end up with 3 top 25 picks in a damn good draft, lucky campaigners. They’ll just about jumpstart a rebuild off that alone if they draft the right players.

I believe west coast has our 2nd, as we used it to trade up from Sydney’s first rounder to west coasts to land Josh sinn.

West coast are going to end up with 3 top 25 picks in a damn good draft, lucky campaigners. They’ll just about jumpstart a rebuild off that alone if they draft the right players.
Lores spread sheet has Sydney at 18 and wc at 19 currently?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What grade is he playing?
Under 18’s for wests sanfl side.

He’s very skinny, and I was told (tho havent fact checked) that he is a very late birthday for the draft class.

Has been kicking bags of goals for a while, got a few bags of 4’s in under 16’s from memory. Very raw in the ruck, tho I’ve seen very little of him in that role but others suggest the same.

Always seems to get his goals by being taller than those around him, but then you remember that heaps of tall forwards have played the same position and don’t seem to be able to get their goals the same way. So there must be something in it, whether it’s reading of the ball or whatever that he’s always in a position to take the ball where no one else can get near it. Possibly in his agility / mobility to manoeuvre into the right spots? I dunno, but once he’s under the ball it’s near impossible (for anyone he’s playing against at this level) to stop him.

Really hope to see at champs and to see him against the best defenders.

Strong draft class from Sa this year imo. I’ve watched a lot of some of these kids and a little of others. There will be some I’m missing on this list but these are the main notables.

Under 18’s

Scully with another 7 goal haul. He’s a 203cm string bean who gets to the right spots and once he does there’s no one that can stop him at this level. ridiculous mobility for his height

Kobe Ryan with a 33d 2g 7clr game. He’s an amazing ball winner. I’ve described him as Sam Walsh / boak before. It’s not a great comparison but if you’ve never seen him it’s better than nothing. Just runs and runs. Energiser bunny.

Phillipou 26d and 3 goals. 192cm (give or take a cm I can’t recall exact height) mid / forward with vice hands, athleticism and true inside ability.

Hansen 35d and a goal. Runs like a freight train whose brakes have failed. Winger / half back.

Daloia 31d 11clrs. Gun inside mid who seems to be rated in the top few players by draft watchers here, others think he will slide as a well developed body, but he’s hard to place. Worpel might be a good comparison.

Barkla (port nga) 29d 5clrs. is coming on in leaps and bounds. I’ve been watching this kid vaguely for a while and never thought anything about him but he’s really developed. decent kick. Don’t know his testing but looks very quick to my eye. Midfielder.

Barnett - 200cm gun young athletic and natural ruck. 14d.

Billy Dowling - big bodied inside outside mid. 32d 3g 4c

Will francou (port f/s) 24d 4c. I haven’t really watched will yet for more than a Qtr here and there so I don’t really have any idea. The fact his 24d was 15handballs and 9kicks suggest he’s an inside handball happy mid though.

Keeler - 16d and a goal. 197cm kf / ruck. Crows nga who only have access after pick 40. In very keen on this kid. Gets marked down for looking laconic, I don’t care. He’s got the athletic profile, size, skills, and a footballing brain. I would maybe pass at our first (guessing a top 1-8 pick) even though he’s a talent worth a pick around there but I’m happy to take him anytime after that. Even if it meant trading into this draft.

Magor - mid / forward. (184ish?) 18d 1g 4c. Exciting player who moves really well around contests.

Jackson bishop - 13d 1g. 189cm player who regularly rucks and competes well above his height.

Will torode - 195cmish I thought he was a key defender (haven’t paid a lot of attention to him yet when I’ve watched Sturt games) but played forward this week as a kf and kicked 4g. If he continues this way will add yet another draftable tall to this draft class

Cockshell - 195cmish athletic mobile kf. 5goals this week.

Will verrall- 200ish 13d 4c. Big advanced bodied and athletic ruck who plays like an extra mid when the ball hits the ground.

Duncan - wingman / mid. 185cm? 10d. I’ve really liked what I saw from Duncan so far this season. I’m unsure why he had such a down game this week, only caught a bit of the game.

Tyson walls sub 180cm. Very small mid. I’m not sure what his current height is I really hope he grows. Think last I heard was 174-176ish? I forget as it was last year. 34d 1g and 7c. He’s a gun mid to be honest. Just moves so well, runs away from contests with the ball. Again, comparisons are never perfect but treloar might give some idea. Tore Glenelg to shreds in the midfield.

Jakob Ryan - halfback flanker who they seem to be rolling into contests / mids occasionally / up the ground occasionally. Not sure of his height think I heard 192ish? That would look about right. Half back flanker might scare port supporters it I paid attention to him against Norwood and he’s legit. Monster workrate, already a better runner than most afl players. Big body, he’s gonna be a big unit. Must be a good athletic profile cause he covers ground in unreal fashion. Long kick. I’m keen to see more of him, I’m not sure how his overhead marking / intercepting is so far and other facets of his game. 28d.

Reserves

Nick Sadler - 14d. Didn’t see his game but have watched him briefly in the past. Sub 180cm mid / forward. Corey durdin is who he reminds me of tho I could be way off as I haven’t paid close attention to Sadler as I tend to (rightly or wrongly) lose interest in sub 180cm mids.

Brodie tuck - 193ishcm kpp. Has played as a utility over the years but I hope they settle him as a key defender / 3rd tall. 13d on the weekend. It’s a good sign to see a tall playing up a level in his draft year.

Michealnanny - 14d. A key defender / 3rd tall. 190ish. Again a great sign he’s playing up a level in his draft year. Didn’t watch this game but watched him before and he’s a natural. Great natural instincts and body work.

Austin MacDonald - 11d. Inside mid, great that he’s playing up a level, I’m unconvinced he’s an afl player just yet. Need to watch more of him I guess.

Under 16’s of interest
Rome Burgoyne - 24d
Louie Montgomery- 26d 3goals (I’ve barely watched under 16’s this season so far but Louie has been dominant on the stats sheet in every game so far. Good early signs)
Gil wakelin - 10d

Last edited:
Strong draft class from Sa this year imo. I’ve watched a lot of some of these kids and a little of others. There will be some I’m missing on this list but these are the main notables.

Under 18’s

Scully with another 7 goal haul. He’s a 203cm string bean who gets to the right spots and once he does there’s no one that can stop him at this level. ridiculous mobility for his height

Kobe Ryan with a 33d 2g 7clr game. He’s an amazing ball winner. I’ve described him as Sam Walsh / boak before. It’s not a great comparison but if you’ve never seen him it’s better than nothing. Just runs and runs. Energiser bunny.

Phillipou 26d and 3 goals. 192cm (give or take a cm I can’t recall exact height) mid / forward with vice hands, athleticism and true inside ability.

Hansen 35d and a goal. Runs like a freight train whose brakes have failed. Winger / half back.

Daloia 31d 11clrs. Gun inside mid who seems to be rated in the top few players by draft watchers here, others think he will slide as a well developed body, but he’s hard to place. Worpel might be a good comparison.

Barkla (port nga) 29d 5clrs. is coming on in leaps and bounds. I’ve been watching this kid vaguely for a while and never thought anything about him but he’s really developed. decent kick. Don’t know his testing but looks very quick to my eye. Midfielder.

Barnett - 200cm gun young athletic and natural ruck. 14d.

Billy Dowling - big bodied inside outside mid. 32d 3g 4c

Will francou (port f/s) 24d 4c. I haven’t really watched will yet for more than a Qtr here and there so I don’t really have any idea. The fact his 24d was 15handballs and 9kicks suggest he’s an inside handball happy mid though.

Keeler - 16d and a goal. 197cm kf / ruck. Crows nga who only have access after pick 40. In very keen on this kid. Gets marked down for looking laconic, I don’t care. He’s got the athletic profile, size, skills, and a footballing brain. I would maybe pass at our first (guessing a top 1-8 pick) even though he’s a talent worth a pick around there but I’m happy to take him anytime after that. Even if it meant trading into this draft.

Magor - mid / forward. (184ish?) 18d 1g 4c. Exciting player who moves really well around contests.

Jackson bishop - 13d 1g. 189cm player who regularly rucks and competes well above his height.

Will torode - 195cmish I thought he was a key defender (haven’t paid a lot of attention to him yet when I’ve watched Sturt games) but played forward this week as a kf and kicked 4g. If he continues this way will add yet another draftable tall to this draft class

Cockshell - 195cmish athletic mobile kf. 5goals this week.

Will verrall- 200ish 13d 4c. Big advanced bodied and athletic ruck who plays like an extra mid when the ball hits the ground.

Duncan - wingman / mid. 185cm? 10d. I’ve really liked what I saw from Duncan so far this season. I’m unsure why he had such a down game this week, only caught a bit of the game.

Tyson walls sub 180cm. Very small mid. I’m not sure what his current height is I really hope he grows. Think last I heard was 174-176ish? I forget as it was last year. 34d 1g and 7c. He’s a gun mid to be honest. Just moves so well, runs away from contests with the ball. Again, comparisons are never perfect but treloar might give some idea. Tore Glenelg to shreds in the midfield.

Jakob Ryan - halfback flanker who they seem to be rolling into contests / mids occasionally / up the ground occasionally. Not sure of his height think I heard 192ish? That would look about right. Half back flanker might scare port supporters it I paid attention to him against Norwood and he’s legit. Monster workrate, already a better runner than most afl players. Big body, he’s gonna be a big unit. Must be a good athletic profile cause he covers ground in unreal fashion. Long kick. I’m keen to see more of him, I’m not sure how his overhead marking / intercepting is so far and other facets of his game. 28d.

Reserves

Nick Sadler - 14d. Didn’t see his game but have watched him briefly in the past. Sub 180cm mid / forward. Corey durdin is who he reminds me of tho I could be way off as I haven’t paid close attention to Sadler as I tend to (rightly or wrongly) lose interest in sub 180cm mids.

Brodie tuck - 193ishcm kpp. Has played as a utility over the years but I hope they settle him as a key defender / 3rd tall. 13d on the weekend. It’s a good sign to see a tall playing up a level in his draft year.

Michealnanny - 14d. A key defender / 3rd tall. 190ish. Again a great sign he’s playing up a level in his draft year. Didn’t watch this game but watched him before and he’s a natural. Great natural instincts and body work.

Austin MacDonald - 11d. Inside mid, great that he’s playing up a level, I’m unconvinced he’s an afl player just yet. Need to watch more of him I guess.

Under 26’s of interest
Rome Burgoyne - 24d
Louie Montgomery- 26d 3goals (I’ve barely watched under 16’s this season so far but Louie has been dominant on the stats sheet in every game so far. Good early signs)
Gil wakelin - 10d
Did you have any thoughts on Bauer from North Adelaide league side?
Two 5 goal hauls, strong aerially, supposedly a good footy brain, 20yo.

On central.rookieme.com they mention Phillipou is a Port father/son prospect. Any truth to that?

On central.rookieme.com they mention Phillipou is a Port father/son prospect. Any truth to that?
Lol no. I wish.

His dad played a few games for port (like a handful, and a few games for another sanfl side, I forget which and before I started following football)

I’ve never heard about him being a port f/s.

In saying that I never thought that he might be eligible if he played 200+ games for one of our eligible clubs, I reckon from memory it was under that though.

I would freak if it was true lol.

I just searched the site (using the search function and phillipou) and found no article where they called him a port father son. Do you have a link?

I’ve just searched and Sam apparently played around 106 games for wwt, and I think my memory is that he played less than 30 odd for port. So shouldn’t be a father son, and that fits with everything I’ve heard.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back