List Mgmt. 2022 AFL Draft & Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Forty3

All Australian
Apr 13, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Interesting take 43, you get great intel, but have trouble with this opinion offering. Hollands was a more outside player, who also played half back. Certainly his carnival was as a high output inside role, but underage and even earlier in the season, played more outside and his disposal and two way run was lauded fairly universally.

Yes he has been playing inside, largely from necessity, with many highly rated inside types quite questionable this year. We have moved beyond “needing” immediate impact, so has time to inherit a role.

I find it strange that in rejecting him as being only inside, you then throw up two names that have, over their journeys been more inside oriented.

I do not rate the top end of the draft overly highly and am looking for players who offer something we are short of. To me Hollands is exactly that player. His workrate is second to none in the draft and his skill set could, if necessary, transmit to multiple roles. The beauty is that he is flexible, but as some of our inside types age and slow he will have the scope to go in to the engine room with maturity.

Really wanting Port to be “forced” to trade it’s first pick, which gives us a realistic chance of Phillipou sliding.
I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to come across as if I was completely rejecting him.
I guess I’m a little worried that he will fall into the trap of Setterfield and Dow and get stuck in the twos, that’s not giving enough credit to the much improved development program Power has set up over the last couple of years.

As I said earlier I think Hollands is a very talented player, my worry is he won’t be able to find a spot in the midfield straight away, a whilst I think he could play a back flank role, that is also a hugely competitive spot in our side at the moment.

The two I put up as option I like because I think they can get early games playing a high half fwd role whilst developing before making the transition mid.

BrisbaneCFC

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I guess I’m a little worried that he will fall into the trap of Setterfield and Dow and get stuck in the twos, that’s not giving enough credit to the much improved development program Power has set up over the last couple of years.

As I said earlier I think Hollands is a very talented player, my worry is he won’t be able to find a spot in the midfield straight away, a whilst I think he could play a back flank role, that is also a hugely competitive spot in our side at the moment.

The two I put up as option I like because I think they can get early games playing a high half fwd role whilst developing before making the transition mid.

The two I like for us moving forward are Hayes and Brayden George. Id be looking at Hayes for pick 10 and trying to jag a late first, very early second an nab George as well. No need to rush either straight into the best 22.

GT619

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 20, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton

Any indication who the club likes atm. Our hf sucks jsos didn’t even finish top 10 bf

ray8182

All Australian
Sep 11, 2008
Echuca
AFL Club
Carlton

Hollands would be competing for a spot on a wing or flank unlike Dow or Setterfield. Im pretty sure that at Afl level Hollands is not projected to be an inside midfielder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sheephead

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2009
In a good paddock
AFL Club
Carlton
The two I like for us moving forward are Hayes and Brayden George. Id be looking at Hayes for pick 10 and trying to jag a late first, very early second an nab George as well. No need to rush either straight into the best 22.
Agree., in fact I posted this exact scenario earlier. No rush, two excellent development pieces.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Perfect chance for us to make our move for pick 8 from North after the Horne Francis trade. 8 and 56 for 10 and 35-40 for Jones compo. Gets us up those couple of picks where we have a chance of securing Humphrey/Philippou and gives North a great draft hand of 1,10, 35-40.

Doubt they have any interest in the midfielders in that range given they'll likely take Wardlaw or Tsatas now and feel theyd be more inclined to push back a couple of picks to look at a Jefferson/Busslinger.

Nov 4, 2003
Earth, near Carlton.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
RE: Richards, he's 22, and playing for Wangaratta in the OMFL, so he had a lot of space to work with and talent around him. Interested to see his speed and endurance testing numbers.

Seems to be a half-forward type at AFL level, with the ability to cause havoc at the centre bounce. May be able to move more into the midfield over time. Wonder if he'll make it into top 30 calculations?

The Return of the Paf

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
RE: Richards, he's 22, and playing for Wangaratta in the OMFL, so he had a lot of space to work with and talent around him. Interested to see his speed and endurance testing numbers.

Seems to be a half-forward type at AFL level, with the ability to cause havoc at the centre bounce. May be able to move more into the midfield over time. Wonder if he'll make it into top 30 calculations?
A-BlaineBoekhorst-choo!

Last edited:

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
So Phillipou, Hewett and Hotton. Not looking at KPPs...

In absence one of the best op handful, guess we can go for best for for us. Seems Matteus has the highest ceiling and a December 27 birth. I could see him being a real difference maker. Hotton and Hewett on paper appear similar to what we have already (happy to be proven wrong).

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
So Phillipou, Hewett and Hotton. Not looking at KPPs...

In absence one of the best op handful, guess we can go for best for for us. Seems Matteus has the highest ceiling and a December 27 birth. I could see him being a real difference maker. Hotton and Hewett on paper appear similar to what we have already (happy to be proven wrong).
The JHF “bombshell” will remove Port Adelaide’s first pick. This was the greatest threat to Phillipou being taken early. His late season injury was timely if we want him. All of the “go home” pressures of late will have some clubs questioning interstate drafting. Clubs “in the window” will have more chance of retaining interstate signings, all things being even.

Jul 7, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Would be great if we could hold our nerve by keeping pick 10 and getting Phillipou anyway. We could then look to bundle 28, LJ compensation pick to move up and grab another priority player.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Philippou would be an interesting one given our midfield make up. I don't agree with Arr0w re him being a forward at AFL level long term but if he were to start there he'd be taking JSOS' spot I'd imagine.

Midfield wise between Acres, Cripps, Kennedy, Hewett, Cerra and then Philippou... It's very one paced but gee whiz that would be a big body brigade. Philippou would be much more appealing if he was a yard or two quicker, perhaps some work with Cripps speed coach that got him exploding out of stoppages rather than plodding out of them with 4 blokes glued to his back will get him going.

Last edited:

Lace_Out

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
The JHF “bombshell” will remove Port Adelaide’s first pick. This was the greatest threat to Phillipou being taken early. His late season injury was timely if we want him. All of the “go home” pressures of late will have some clubs questioning interstate drafting. Clubs “in the window” will have more chance of retaining interstate signings, all things being even.
Wouldn't North just take him instead now?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Would be great if we could hold our nerve by keeping pick 10 and getting Phillipou anyway. We could then look to bundle 28, LJ compensation pick to move up and grab another priority player.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I want Phillipou and George plus a key back.

Too much to ask for Hayes, too?

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
Philippou would be an interesting one given our midfield make up. I don't agree with Arr0w re him being a forward at AFL level long term but if he were to start there he'd be taking JSOS' spot I'd imagine.

Midfield wise between Acres, Cripps, Kennedy, Hewett, Cerra and then Philippou... It's very one paced but gee whiz that would be a big body brigade. Philippou would be much more appealing if he was a yard or two quicker, perhaps some work with Cripps speed coach that got him exploding out of stoppages rather than plodding out of them with 4 blokes glued to his back.
Not a “jet” but I don’t view Phillipou as slow. Would start out as a wing/HHF in all likelihood. Late December birthday (27, from memory) Adding another leftie to the mix would be a plus too. Looks like a long term inside mid, but add an inch or two could become a mobile key forward type as well.

I am really eyeing off a hybrid type mid, who can start his career in a more outside role before transitioning inside down the track. I have personally discounted the primarily inside types in my assessments. Harry’s seven years removes the attraction of a Jefferson at the pointy end. Find a young depth forward later in the draft please son-of-Curly. (Foster)

Coona Blues

Director of Coaching
Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Bundaberg, Qld
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tasmania
Wouldn't North just take him instead now?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
OK North burnt by SA go home JHF are going to prioritise another SA kid when locals are on the market. May be eaten up acquiring Griffen Logue and Darcy Tucker as well, they have little currency outside of Pick 1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back