Game Day 2022 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Shameless Plug For Game Preview Voting
While you're here, take a few minutes out of your Draft Day(s) to cast a vote on the 2022 Game Previews poll.

Just my thoughts but Freo targeted Hugh Davies and Max Knobel. I reckon they were hopeful of a draft slider in their list but all were gone and pulled the trigger on Hugh. I felt he was rated around the same as Jed Adam’s who I liked. He ended up going at 38.

You never know if we didn’t pull the trigger and waited till 41 he may not have been available.

If we missed a slider at 33, I like our approach to trial a few talented, raw, injured etc young players. Sam Gilbey for example is one that comes to mind rated around 30-40 pre-draft but I can understand why he missed out.

I agree. Walls' comments predraft were essentially that we would look to move up if there was someone available that we liked that slid. The fact that we didn't move up shows that no one slid, so we picked our favourite key defender from the group that was available and then the two guys we had our eye on at the back. I suspect we would have moved up if Ed Allen or Harry Barnett was there in the mid-20s.

I really find it bizarre the amount of people who don't see medium forward as a need. Emmett was our most needy based selection for mine. All the other positions are at least covered by multiple players entrenched in the best 22 and we were only bolstering the depth charts.

For medium forward, all we have are Banfield (really a midfielder) and Sturt who are closer to being delisted than being considered best 22 material. Corbett is a small KPF, not the agile/speedy medium forward type that has proven to be important for many of the best sides. I would have been happy taking 2 x medium forwards (instead of 2 rucks) to increase the chance of someone making it.
Couldn’t agree more.
Who gives a crap how many forwards we have on the list. It’s quality we want not extra quantity. We cant play an extra 2 forwards in games and have 25 men instead of 23 because all our forward are 6/10 types.
I would hope this lad will come in and quickly move ahead of Banfield and Sturt in the pecking order.

I agree. Walls' comments predraft were essentially that we would look to move up if there was someone available that we liked that slid. The fact that we didn't move up shows that no one slid, so we picked our favourite key defender from the group that was available and then the two guys we had our eye on at the back. I suspect we would have moved up if Ed Allen or Harry Barnett was there in the mid-20s.
We wouldn’t have been able to move up much as our real only draw card would be 33 + F3 (Carlton) > Pick 28,29,30,31
FD81227D-3A60-4B72-B46D-C2268E6B4E43.jpeg
Out of the above;
Collingwood super keen on Ryan
WCE super keen on Burgiel
Carlton traded F2 to get pick 30 for Cowan
Not sure that James Van Es was on our radar
Not sure Jaxon Binns was on our radar

Realistically Swans might have had a bite at 27 and we could jumped in ahead of WC on Burgiel (but Swans wanted a f2 which we could not offer).

If we wanted Binns we could have traded to 31 but moving two spots for price of F3.

Tom McCallum, Ollie Hotton and Henry Hustwaite were still on the board and to many were rated around the top 30 or so. At the end of the day we just pulled the trigger on the KPD and ruck that we wanted and moved on. We then selected two mature aged to boost our depth having lost a large number of experienced players in the trade period.

We wouldn’t have been able to move up much as our real only draw card would be 33 + F3 (Carlton) > Pick 28,29,30,31
View attachment 1565589
Out of the above;
Collingwood super keen on Ryan
WCE super keen on Burgiel
Carlton traded F2 to get pick 30 for Cowan
Not sure that James Van Es was on our radar
Not sure Jaxon Binns was on our radar

Realistically Swans might have had a bite at 27 and we could jumped in ahead of WC on Burgiel (but Swans wanted a f2 which we could not offer).

If we wanted Binns we could have traded to 31 but moving two spots for price of F3.

Tom McCallum, Ollie Hotton and Henry Hustwaite were still on the board and to many were rated around the top 30 or so. At the end of the day we just pulled the trigger on the KPD and ruck that we wanted and moved on. We then selected two mature aged to boost our depth having lost a large number of experienced players in the trade period.
I liked the options we had available. Maybe preferred some of the others. But in a draft that seemed always likely to lean towards needs getting the defender the club wanted was the right move.

me thinks Freo may have been keen on Binns and Carlton knew this (edit -or maybe it was Cowan) - so traded up to get the chance to get him. Still waiting for some kind of summary from Bell and Walls on the Freo page to know a bit more.

We definitely didn't go best available at our first imo. We heard Port were keen on Davies and reached to fill a need.

The 'hard to know' is how these fellas interviewed if at all. To me Lemmey was a shoe in with forward and back capabilities, and to also say there were valid reasons why his performances from the few opportunities over the first half of the year were not so good.

Was Adams a better choice? Perhaps they thought they were a chance to get him too at 41 but Melbourne stepped in.

Given who we selected and who was left, what better selection might we have taken presuming our actual pick at 30 (Davies). Guess we won't know for a few years and look back in hindsight.

The 'hard to know' is how these fellas interviewed if at all. To me Lemmey was a shoe in with forward and back capabilities, and to also say there were valid reasons why his performances from the few opportunities over the first half of the year were not so good.

Was Adams a better choice? Perhaps they thought they were a chance to get him too at 41 but Melbourne stepped in.

Given who we selected and who was left, what better selection might we have taken presuming our actual pick at 30 (Davies). Guess we won't know for a few years and look back in hindsight.

I did a bit of rewatching both Adams and Davies before the draft and way before I predicted that we would pick Davies with our first pick; prior to that I had seen more of Adams because obviously he played at WAFL Seniors level and been a bit of a standout. However, on doing a watch back of some of the footage I quickly switched my vote because:
  • Davies looks more athletic (I don't know if this plays out in the combine stats but on field it just looks like it is) - also Davies always plays higher up the ground rather than as the last line of defence;
  • He has a more reliable kick and is an actual rebound defender rather than just a lock down defender; I thought this would be pretty attractive as he is in a way a Type 2 prototype of Brennan Cox with a bit more height and athleticism.
Don't get me wrong, Adams is also a good defender prospect and has really good defensive skills but Davies looks to have more potential.

Correct. I would've said Hotton who was consistently ranked top 30 was one of, if not the best available at our pick. The issue with waiting to see in a few years time is that he has to play at the Saints!

I did a bit of rewatching both Adams and Davies before the draft and way before I predicted that we would pick Davies with our first pick; prior to that I had seen more of Adams because obviously he played at WAFL Seniors level and been a bit of a standout. However, on doing a watch back of some of the footage I quickly switched my vote because:
  • Davies looks more athletic (I don't know if this plays out in the combine stats but on field it just looks like it is) - also Davies always plays higher up the ground rather than as the last line of defence;
  • He has a more reliable kick and is an actual rebound defender rather than just a lock down defender; I thought this would be pretty attractive as he is in a way a Type 2 prototype of Brennan Cox with a bit more height and athleticism.
Don't get me wrong, Adams is also a good defender prospect and has really good defensive skills but Davies looks to have more potential.

Can’t remember which poster it was but they said they’d take Scaife ahead of Draper and Williams. Scaife has more runs on the board but Draper (Athleticism) and Williams (Athleticism, ball use) have serious attributes that may stand out more to recruiters.

It’s not how good players are now - it’s what they could be at their peak.

Davies vs Adams and Amiss vs JVR were similar comparisons with players who are similar right now but if you try to watch like a recruiter it’s obvious who has the most potential.

Trade out a pick 10 KPD entering his prime years for pick 25 then spend pick 30 on a questionable KPD replacement while paying a 30 yr old who’s played 1 game in 3yrs 500k + a year to play in the WAFL

Good business

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got a funny feeling about Tom Emmett. We don't target these mature aged state league players in the national draft for no reason. Getting very much Sam Switkowski vibes from the pick

He doesn't touch the ball much at SANFL level.

He'd have to have a big impact at AFL level to succeed

He doesn't touch the ball much at SANFL level.

He'd have to have a big impact at AFL level to succeed
It was his first season in the senior side. He only played league SANFL from round 6. In 6 out of the last 7 games (excl a very low scoring game as an outlier) he averaged around 12 possessions, 4 marks and 2.5 goals. Seemed to be a fair few tackles in the highlights. He has to get to work to make it but as a medium forward I’m not expecting 20 plus possessions.

Trade out a pick 10 KPD entering his prime years for pick 25 then spend pick 30 on a questionable KPD replacement while paying a 30 yr old who’s played 1 game in 3yrs 500k + a year to play in the WAFL

Good business
Logue going was unavoidable

Kangas opened the warchest for a player who isn't exactly warchest calibre, Logue couldn't turn it down

Good business
Not paying your 4th best KPD $800k pa over 5 years and replacing them with a $150k 18yo who may turn out to be a better player seems like very good business to me, especially if it means we have enough $$ to sign up Serong to a long term deal.

Not paying your 4th best KPD $800k pa over 5 years and replacing them with a $150k 18yo who may turn out to be a better player seems like very good business to me, especially if it means we have enough $$ to sign up Serong to a long term deal.
Bethenny Frankel Make Good Choices GIF by MTV Movie & TV Awards

I've got a funny feeling about Tom Emmett. We don't target these mature aged state league players in the national draft for no reason. Getting very much Sam Switkowski vibes from the pick

Shite is he injured already

Lol , they could of extended him for half the price but decided to roll the dice , couldn’t afford it once he put some decent form on the board and you want to paint it as some big brain move ?

Big footy at its finest right there

I don’t even like Logue that much but even I’d admit he had started to hit his straps attacking the ball harder and showing some useful versatility

Lol , they could of extended him for half the price but decided to roll the dice , couldn’t afford it once he put some decent form on the board and you want to paint it as some big brain move ?

I don’t even like Logue that much but even I’d admit he had started to hit his straps attacking the ball harder and showing some useful versatility
Who would you take out of the back line to replace him with , because he’s too valuable to sit on the pine ?

Who would you take out of the back line to replace him with , because he’s too valuable to sit on the pine ?

He’s more valuable at another club ?

Positionless players are the future because they make it hard for all those nerds on the computers trying to turn something random into something predictable

Why would we extend him when he had just been dropped from the team?

And his management turned down our initial offer which was ~400k.

Nothing he did this year was worth anymore than that bar one or two games. His defensive work obviously wasn't rated highly enough by the club. Didn't even feature in our top 10 b&f until after his move fwd. And his last few games up fwd he deserved to be dropped if tabs was even close to being healthy. With a fully fit list he was not b22.

Lucky for him playing dogshit footy somehow lead to a huge payday.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back