Game Day 2022 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Shameless Plug For Game Preview Voting
While you're here, take a few minutes out of your Draft Day(s) to cast a vote on the 2022 Game Previews poll.

From the start of 2022, we have seen the exit of 7 midfield types (Mundy, Acres, Crowden, Western, Tucker, Blakely, Valente) and only brought in 2 midfielders (O'Meara, Wagner).

Along with these ruck moves, I can't help but think we are committed to Jackson playing as some kind of hybrid mid.
That's not the whole picture.

Fyfe, Erasmus and Johnson will all be in or around the 22. As could Worner. They aren't new additions, but they are newly available options.

Of your midfield losses Crowden, Western, Valente and Blakely are at the lower end of depth, with only Blakely getting a rookie lifeline.

Williams may be years away but is a midfielder.

That's not the whole picture.

Fyfe, Erasmus and Johnson will all be in or around the 22. As could Worner. They aren't new additions, but they are newly available options.

Of your midfield losses Crowden, Western, Valente and Blakely are at the lower end of depth, with only Blakely getting a rookie lifeline.

Williams may be years away but is a midfielder.
I'd argue Crowden and Western weren't consider midfielders anyway given they played almost exclusively as forwards in the AFL. Valente also doesn't count because he barely played anywhere at all. Blakely wasn't getting a game unless he was the only fit player left.

So looking at it like that, we've actually increased our mid options by 1!

everyone knows and expects Carlton to be aholes. I guess everyone still thought Sydney was above that.
I think it’s also the added factor of the pick they used being the one hawthorn traded them during the draft.

I'd argue Crowden and Western weren't consider midfielders anyway given they played almost exclusively as forwards in the AFL. Valente also doesn't count because he barely played anywhere at all. Blakely wasn't getting a game unless he was the only fit player left.

So looking at it like that, we've actually increased our mid options by 1!
Beat me to it. Spot on. Crowden played high HF and Western (rightly or wrongly pigeonholed as small forward). Also Henry (causes much division on her for some reason) has to this date played 95% or more as forward. I believe he is now being viewed as wing option.

Midfield In: Henry, Johnson, Wagner, Williams, JOM (Henry/Johnson combined at least equate to one new midfield mix)
Midfield out: Acres, Tucker, Blakely, Mundy (Blakely didn’t play)

Valente was a phantom ghost

Mid sized Forward in: Corbett, Emmett
Mid sized Forward out: you could argue Logue

Small forward in:??
Small forward out: Crowden, Western

Excuse my ramblings but my main point is we could do with a small forward who can run through the midfield rotations at times. Josh Rochelle for eg.

There were a few in the draft which I believe we were interested in (Clark, Burgiel) but they were selected prior to pick 30. This may well be an area we are going to have a look at for the train ons or address next year.

Beat me to it. Spot on. Crowden played high HF and Western (rightly or wrongly pigeonholed as small forward). Also Henry (causes much division on her for some reason) has to this date played 95% or more as forward. I believe he is now being viewed as wing option.

Midfield In: Henry, Johnson, Wagner, Williams, JOM (Henry/Johnson combined at least equate to one new midfield mix)
Midfield out: Acres, Tucker, Blakely, Mundy (Blakely didn’t play)

Valente was a phantom ghost

Mid sized Forward in: Corbett, Emmett
Mid sized Forward out: you could argue Logue

Small forward in:??
Small forward out: Crowden, Western

Excuse my ramblings but my main point is we could do with a small forward who can run through the midfield rotations at times. Josh Rochelle for eg.

There were a few in the draft which I believe we were interested in (Clark, Burgiel) but they were selected prior to pick 30. This may well be an area we are going to have a look at for the train ons or address next year.

Nah, Henry's played mostly midfield at Peel and Western got plenty of time in the midfield too. Crowden was almost exclusively a mid. If they're moving to the forwardline when promoted, then it either means they aren't good enough to play mid at that level, not ready yet, or are filling a whole left in the forwardline. All are or were considered midfielders. None have excelled as a forward at either level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney getting a lot of campaigner labels for picking up that Hawks NGA before pick 40
Calton and Motlop last year - crickets.
Big difference in fairness. Everyone had Motlop pegged as a top 30 selection, some even top 20.
The hawks NGA kid Vickery was plucked from total obscurity by contrast.

Scaife will be eligible for our NGA next year wouldn't he?
Good question and I admit I don’t know that. I assume so. But a KPF at 197cm at his age who has a good year next year is likely to go inside pick 40 and therefore be unavailable to us.

Last edited:
When you say "everyone" do you mean Joe public and the media?
The general consensus of the footy public i suppose. But Carlton were correct in bidding for him at pick 27 last year, he’s a good player and deserves to be selected at that range. Played well in a number of big games this season already.

Question for the draft nerds here - is Corey Wagner on a one year or two year deal?
I seem to remember a clause where Le players over a certain age in the ND can be taken on one year contracts.
Garrett mcdonagh of Essendon last year is a good example

Question for the draft nerds here - is Corey Wagner on a one year or two year deal?
I seem to remember a clause where Le players over a certain age in the ND can be taken on one year contracts.
Garrett mcdonagh of Essendon last year is a good example

I've assumed two years but he can actually nominate his own terms

I really liked our draft. Seen as a few people's losers, but that's not allowing for recent trading, current list profile and longer term strategy.

It's clear the brass want the club set up to have a crack over the next 5-6 years and possibly beyond. We're not going to do that being the team that pays $1.3m a season to anyone, so you need success to sweeten the pie, and also a strict approach to cap management to allow star player retention (success will only get you so far). This whole period has addressed a couple of needs cheaply, given us enormous positional and tactical flexibility, set us up to be in the best position possible to keep our key players over the next 5 years, and have elite replacements coming through.

Will it work? Will we get the big one? Who knows, but we're going to be up there, great to watch, and no one's going to see us as an easy game. Excited!

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I really liked our draft. Seen as a few people's losers, but that's not allowing for recent trading, current list profile and longer term strategy.

It's clear the brass want the club set up to have a crack over the next 5-6 years and possibly beyond. We're not going to do that being the team that pays $1.3m a season to anyone, so you need success to sweeten the pie, and also a strict approach to cap management to allow star player retention (success will only get you so far). This whole period has addressed a couple of needs cheaply, given us enormous positional and tactical flexibility, set us up to be in the best position possible to keep our key players over the next 5 years, and have elite replacements coming through.

Will it work? Will we get the big one? Who knows, but we're going to be up there, great to watch, and no one's going to see us as an easy game. Excited!

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’m happy for this to sit as an assessment of our off-season.

Nah, Henry's played mostly midfield at Peel and Western got plenty of time in the midfield too. Crowden was almost exclusively a mid. If they're moving to the forwardline when promoted, then it either means they aren't good enough to play mid at that level, not ready yet, or are filling a whole left in the forwardline. All are or were considered midfielders. None have excelled as a forward at either level.
I’m talking at AFL. Heck Meek played a few games in the backline at Peel previously. Yes Henry played Wing at Peel but HFF at Freo. Crowden played nothing for Freo in 2022, but last year played forward. I distinctly remember Bell and Walls both saying that they viewed Western as a small forward. Yes he had stints in the midfield but the Peel games I watched and that was most of them, aside from missing a large chunk due to hamstring he played a lot as a forward. For Freo he played fwd.

So you think Sydney deliberately worsened their own list just to be a spoiler?

I liked Kinnear Beatson's response when asked about bidding on the GWS academy player with their first pick and it being a reach. He basically said according to who?

Wagner will be glad he got an AFL gig again but must be wondering..who do I supplant? Young, Chapman, Clark?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back