Game Day 2022 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Shameless Plug For Game Preview Voting
While you're here, take a few minutes out of your Draft Day(s) to cast a vote on the 2022 Game Previews poll.

I haven't paid any attention to the draft, did we draft some forwards?

In terms of Forward potential, we drafted:
  • Tom Emmett (Pick 41): Mature Age (21) medium sized (186cm) forward, strong chasing and tackling skills, good burst speed. Skills are okay (probably on par with Shultz's), will be interesting to see how well they hold up at the next level.
  • Joshua Draper (Cat B Rookie): Very much a tall (196cm) utility who has played both forward, back and midfield. Excellent athleticism and agility for a guy that big, and really good footskills and one touch mark. Been injured much of the year so not the level of exposed form most other players have but has the potential to play a more mobile key forward.
  • Liam Reidy (Rookie): Mature Age (22) rookie who has some height (204cm) played ruck for Frankston, but also alternated as a forward at times. Probably going to play as the Peel ruck next year whilst Max Knobel develops, but after that will probably work on his forward craft and potentially come into the main side if there are injuries to Darcy and/or Jackson.

He’s more valuable at another club ?

Positionless players are the future because they make it hard for all those nerds on the computers trying to turn something random into something predictable
No don’t deflect , just please genuinely answer the $800,000 over 5 year question.
Because that’s the conundrum here , either he plays off the bench which reduces the midfield rotations or he takes opportunity elsewhere. He’s too good to play Peel waiting for Pearce to breakdown and everyone knows that .

If Bigfooty nuffs turned their brains inside out trying to come up with a permutation where he stays , then imagine how hard it was for the club .

There is going to be a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth when and if one of our defence gets injured but all teams face that .

FTR , I didn’t want Logue to go either , Walker is the only one who I may have taken out because he can be hit and miss .
But when he is on its electric and game breaking so he is worth the role of dice .

No don’t deflect , just please genuinely answer the $800,000 over 5 year question.
Because that’s the conundrum here , either he plays off the bench which reduces the midfield rotations or he takes opportunity elsewhere. He’s too good to play Peel waiting for Pearce to breakdown and everyone knows that .

If Bigfooty nuffs turned their brains inside out trying to come up with a permutation where he stays , then imagine how hard it was for the club .

There is going to be a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth when and if one of our defence gets injured but all teams face that .

FTR , I didn’t want Logue to go either , Walker is the only one who I may have taken out because he can be hit and miss .
But when he is on its electric and game breaking so he is worth the role of dice .

Ok I will bite… who the ferk are you talking about.

800k per year buys a lot of beer.

So wouldn’t mind knowing which defender gets 800k per year.

Off the top of my head none of them!

Are you making this up!

Ok I will bite… who the ferk are you talking about.

800k per year buys a lot of beer.

So wouldn’t mind knowing which defender gets 800k per year.

Off the top of my head none of them!

Are you making this up!
Isn’t that what Logue was offered at NM ?
Either way it was a quip instead of saying “ million dollar question “
It’s the general point of my query that I would like to hear Tonys thoughts on

Isn’t that what Logue was offered at NM ?
Either way it was a quip instead of saying “ million dollar question “
It’s the general point of my query that I would like to hear Tonys thoughts on
tonygeeks is just playing the easy complain game while not offering any solutions to the player market issues we faced last year. These moves can look iffy at the time but have been shown to be in the teams favour longer term.

We are stronger next season unless we get a heap of injuries. The experienced players we traded out weren’t exactly durable anyway except for last season (Acres still injured for a big chunk). Therefore if we revert to normal injuries, it’s highly likely a % of them wouldn’t be available anyway. In 2 seasons our depth will have recovered.

The only think tony geeks is correct about is that Logue could have been signed for peanuts in 2021 compared to what he eventually got at north. I’d say a 2 year extension on $350k would have comfortably locked Logue away at any time in 2021. He was playing decent footy then too, not world beating but comfortably enough to justify a solid extension. Ethan Hughes was signed for a bloody 3 year deal at the same time and he’s barely played since FFS!

Nobody saw Logue getting offers from elsewhere like he did. Once he shone on the likes of curnow and Cameron in 2022, 2 of the hottest key forwards in the game, it was all over. His value just blew out and we were correct to let him go instead of paying $650 or 700k per year to keep him.

The mistake was made last year.

LESSON:
Don’t let young improving players, especially key position players, drift into the final year of their contract unsigned.
That’s just playing with fire if they have a run of good form.

Well said.

The other thing to factor in here is Logue can't handle most of the number 1 forwards in the way Pearce, TDK, Barrass etc can. He's just a little short and the athleticism doesn't get him there when he has to handle a McKay type. Where he is great is when he has to tackle the similarly athletic types like Curnow, Cameron etc. North did what bottom clubs need to do. They over paid for a guy to make them better whilst their salary cap isn't an issue for them. We can't afford that now because we can't afford to pay borderline guys top end B22 money anymore.

We will miss him in multiple games next season. Against Carlton and Geelong especially. Also, I suspect, against Brissie now they have Gunston and perhaps Port too. But missing him for a few games is very different to needing him. Look at the B22 thread and try put Logue in any of those, it's not easy at all.

Whist there is no way we should have matched it at the end of the year, I agree we slightly mishandled it at the start of the year. We went too low in the pre-season and kept it open. If we'd gone a bit higher then we'd still have him and at much less than we offered him at the end of the year.

The only think tony geeks is correct about is that Logue could have been signed for peanuts in 2021 compared to what he eventually got at north. I’d say a 2 year extension on $350k would have comfortably locked Logue away at any time in 2021. He was playing decent footy then too, not world beating but comfortably enough to justify a solid extension. Ethan Hughes was signed for a bloody 3 year deal at the same time and he’s barely played since FFS!

Nobody saw Logue getting offers from elsewhere like he did. Once he shone on the likes of curnow and Cameron in 2022, 2 of the hottest key forwards in the game, it was all over. His value just blew out and we were correct to let him go instead of paying $650 or 700k per year to keep him.

LESSON:
Don’t let young improving players, especially key position players, drift into the final year of their contract unsigned.

You're right, but of course there are no guarantees that the player and his management will sign or even entertain any offers before the final year. It's highly likely we did put offers to Logue in 2021 and early 2022 but his management played it well.

Last edited:
I do not understand people that believe we could have convinced Logue to stay while also not being able to guarantee him a spot in the backline. If Logue plays with Pearce and Cox we need to play him as, at best, an intercepting third tall, which means moving Ryan out of that role and possibly out of the backline altogether. Ryan is an elite intercepting third tall and Logue is an undersized FB/CHB.

Logue rightfully wants to play as a starting key defender, he doesn't want to play as a back flanker or a journeyman forward kicking less than a goal a game. Our backline is absolutely stacked, and good teams lose good players when the opportunity isn't there. Logue is a great guy, a talented footballer and an elite athlete, and also not that much of a loss for us.

Logue was legitimately torn about leaving, and he left for the worst team in the league that could offer him two things we couldn't - 800k a year and a starting spot every week as a first or second key defender. The fact that he went to North meant that it was simply a case of being offered things there that he couldn't get here, and the reason that he couldn't get them here is simply because our backline and team is too good. That's not arrogant to say - North are a worse team than us and therefore have the salary and position available for him that we simply do not have to offer.

I do not understand people that believe we could have convinced Logue to stay while also not being able to guarantee him a spot in the backline. If Logue plays with Pearce and Cox we need to play him as, at best, an intercepting third tall, which means moving Ryan out of that role and possibly out of the backline altogether. Ryan is an elite intercepting third tall and Logue is an undersized FB/CHB.

Logue rightfully wants to play as a starting key defender, he doesn't want to play as a back flanker or a journeyman forward kicking less than a goal a game. Our backline is absolutely stacked, and good teams lose good players when the opportunity isn't there. Logue is a great guy, a talented footballer and an elite athlete, and also not that much of a loss for us.

Logue was legitimately torn about leaving, and he left for the worst team in the league that could offer him two things we couldn't - 800k a year and a starting spot every week as a first or second key defender. The fact that he went to North meant that it was simply a case of being offered things there that he couldn't get here, and the reason that he couldn't get them here is simply because our backline and team is too good. That's not arrogant to say - North are a worse team than us and therefore have the salary and position available for him that we simply do not have to offer.
Agree with your excellent post.

I think the trade would be seen differently if we had done well out of the deal. But that's not always how it works.

However the club has mitigated his loss in the forward line, and Hamling may have a last spark to his career while others come through.

LESSON:
Absolutely true this
But then you get a Lloyd Meek situation where he is too good to play Peel and he knows it

So even if we had signed Logue and he was forced to play Peel he would have had his agent on the lookout for other opportunities to play full time AFL .

The only thing that would have made him a lock was if he could play forward instantly, but that didn’t happen.
As Benny Cousins would say :
“Cest La Vie “

This may come back to bite me (prove me wrong Logie bear) but he's not the All-Australian type. He's not dominant in any single position.

He's at best a rich man's Chris Mayne. His best team trait is he'll play a lockdown role either down back or up forward. He's not a forwards a**hole.

I'm not at all gutted that he's not pulling in 800K a year from the Freo salary cap for what he contributes.

Walker's young as well, we can accept a few avoidable mistakes to develop him ASAP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This may come back to bite me (prove me wrong Logie bear) but he's not the All-Australian type. He's not dominant in any single position.

He's at best a rich man's Chris Mayne. His best team trait is he'll play a lockdown role either down back or up forward. He's not a forwards a**hole.

I'm not at all gutted that he's not pulling in 800K a year from the Freo salary cap for what he contributes.

Clarko will turn him into another Josh Gibson I reckon.

That still wouldn't be enough to get him AA if he was at Freo, but with the Vic team weighting he may get one at some stage.

Logue won’t ever be AA or anywhere near it.
Gibson comparisons are laughable.
That North defense will be under the pump at extreme levels with a relatively young midfield.
That won’t be Logue’s fault and he’ll do a wonderful job in the capacity he has but awesome defenders are in large a product of their overall team unless you are a genuine out of the box defender… Logue is not that guy.
Gibson was also not that guy, he was a product of playing in one of the most powerful outfits of all time.

Logue won’t ever be AA or anywhere near it.
Gibson comparisons are laughable.
That North defense will be under the pump at extreme levels with a relatively young midfield.
That won’t be Logue’s fault and he’ll do a wonderful job in the capacity he has but awesome defenders are in large a product of their overall team unless you are a genuine out of the box defender… Logue is not that guy.
Gibson was also not that guy, he was a product of playing in one of the most powerful outfits of all time.

Don't agree with this. Gibson was an extremely promising shut down defender at North, he kept Buddy quiet several times which was why he came to Clarko's attention in the first place

Logue is very athletic and on the leading forwards he is good. Has good closing speed.

One on one body work against strong KPF still needs work and gets outsmarted regularly by clever small forwards (ie goes for the big punch when the slippery forwards darts out the back or crumbs the ball with Logue nowhere to be seen.

He isn’t the smartest footballer. Athletically very gifted.

He will go well but honestly can’t see him being an AA.

Against us he'd line up on either Amiss, Taberner or Jackson.

He'd probably do okay against Amiss for a year or two, and he may be decent on Tabs. Jackson would be a different outcome.

Don't agree with this. Gibson was an extremely promising shut down defender at North, he kept Buddy quiet several times which was why he came to Clarko's attention in the first place

Yes and Logue is a promising shut down defender going to North.

Do you think Gibson would’ve become the player he is if he went to Carlton?

My comments were in response to AA possibility and doing a Gibson. It’s possible, but facts were he wasn’t even in our best backline in one of the better defenses in the league.

He will have his work cut out if the opposition are walking it out of the middle. That’s no reflection on Logue… any defender at North would find it difficult.

I think some people are in for a rude awakening if they think north Melbourne are going to be spooners again next year.
They are now stacked with elite young talent and brought in some very solid experienced players in Logue and Tucker, with a bunch of guys ready for breakout years in their early 20s like LDU and Simpkin).
Mckay and Logue is a very solid key defender pairing and larkey and Zurhaar are also arguably better than any of our forward options.
Weight of numbers eventually tells and they also have that Edwards kid that was the number one pick in the MSD a year and a half ago, he must be ready to come good soon?
AFL Teams don’t win 3 spoons in a row. I think they will be up around 12th position by the end of the season.

Judging by the discussion, do I detect a second round of grieving over the departure of Logue...maybe next week it may be Lobb we grieve for.......'wailing and gnashing of the teeth' and all that....just had to add that M :roflv1: :thumbsupemoji:

Judging by the discussion, do I detect a second round of grieving over the departure of Logue...maybe next week it may be Lobb we grieve for.......'wailing and gnashing of the teeth' and all that....just had to add that M :roflv1: :thumbsupemoji:
I’m delighted Lobb left. I couldn’t wait to see the back of the prick. Some people on here loved him and were gutted he was leaving. I could see through him all along and I think his comments since he left have vindicated the decision to get rid of him.
You don’t win major prizes with individuals of that character playing in such important positions. One of the only positive thoughts I had walking out of the MCG after the Collingwood defeat was that I’d never have to be frustrated watching Lobb in a freo jumper again.
At least Logue had a reason to go that was hard to turn down in $$$ and seemed to genuinely love the club.
Lobb? Get in the bin 😡

I’m delighted Lobb left. I couldn’t wait to see the back of the prick. Some people on here loved him and were gutted he was leaving. I could see through him all along and I think his comments since he left have vindicated the decision to get rid of him.
You don’t win major prizes with individuals of that character playing in such important positions. One of the only positive thoughts I had walking out of the MCG after the Collingwood defeat was that I’d never have to be frustrated watching Lobb in a freo jumper again.
At least Logue had a reason to go that was hard to turn down in $$$ and seemed to genuinely love the club.
Lobb? Get in the bin 😡
You think we made a 'decision to get rid of him'. Interesting take.

Personally I find it weird taking a victory lap about a player leaving (who we were clearly trying to hold onto) rather than it bringing up a question about our recruitment and player management.

You think we made a 'decision to get rid of him'. Interesting take.

Personally I find it weird taking a victory lap about a player leaving (who we were clearly trying to hold onto) rather than it bringing up a question about our recruitment and player management.
I guess “decision to get rid of him” could possibly be imputed from allowing the trade of a contracted player.

In my mind he had become a distraction and didn’t appear to have bonded well with the rest of the young group. The coaching group would have been riding him hard over his many half hearted, one arm up marking efforts. In short it was time to go and 30 goals is not a huge amount to replace.

I’d say our recruitment has been strong of recent and our player management much improved (Hughes and Banners extensions are the only black spots). We haven’t lost any players since Neale that are really top liners - each of the 2022 departees had elements to them that made them replaceable (even Mundy the magnificent).

The popular external analysis that we have lost a huge amount of depth is also finger nail deep. It fails to factor in that we had top 20 picks from 2021 that were on the sidelines in 2022 but are ready for games - I expect this crop to make us significantly better than the also ran types they will replace (Lobb, Tucker, Acres). Then there’s the new blood coming in in Jackson and O’Meara and Fyfe staying healthier. Lastly there’s the organic improvement coming from 20 odd players that are already proven, but could be expected to increase their output in 2023. A simple best 22 exercise tells me this - the hardest it’s ever been to decide who to leave out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back