AFL Grand Final 2022 AFL Grand Final - Sydney v Geelong 🏆

Remove this Banner Ad

Good that Tom had to see his younger brother win a medal yesterday.

Hopefully that fans a flame inside of him

The Club, our Club, really needs to decide what Tom's best role is - both in terms of what the Club needs and what Tom is capable of delivering.

Is he a #1 ruck? At present, for a full season, no?

But is he a capable forward (even as a #3 or #4)? At present, very hard to say yes.

Sure, takes a few screamers, but they're few and far between and then his goal kicking looks way off the pace....

So, the question is how do we best develop Tom to his full potential?

People suggest SDK is the better player. I can't agree (yet) but SDK looks calmer out there ie developed in a better system.

TDK needs more certainty and structure - and a defined role... still just 23 so he has time on his side...

Your top 3 looks like what people have been saying the last 5 years.

Not bad if a players who’s done gets 26 possessions and a goal in a GF and the other kicks 3.4. Cats will be thereabouts next year too.
Yeah, I'm done with pronouncing Geelong finished until I actually see it. Yesterday felt like a victory lap sure, but they've been able to defy time for ten years.

We didn't get caned though.

And in fact controlled much of the first half

Yesterday was an embarrassment

It’s just amazing we even made it as far as we did. Finished 6th on the ladder and lost the QF by 73 points. No wonder * were overly confident.

I must admit I do worry that the club pats itself on the back for what others would deem as mediocrity. I am however willing to give the new crew the benefit of the doubt and see how they respond next season. The good thing is we will play Richmond in Round 1 who’ll most likely have added Taranto and Hooper to their team so we will know very quickly how much their hurt after our capitulation in last 4 weeks of the season drive them over the preseason.
I do acknowledge Voss, Cook and Sayers have taken us from pathetic irrelevancy to competitiveness but question the wether the pre requisite urgency and desire exist to take us to contending for a premiership

Too old, too slow, full of recycled players and former premiership players. This Geelong team is reminiscent of our 1995 team.

I think that was geelongs plan . Instead of rebuilding with young fellas they went out and took in recycled players . They basically bought a premiership. Pretty smart really but now they will have to rebuild on account that a few will retire or start to struggle body wise

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My main takeaways were.

1. Selwood is done
2. Hawkins Might be done.
3. Geelong had their last gasp.
4. Chad Warner wasn't just Swans best, but a future leader/top end league talent.

Warner struggled when the heat came early like most of his term mates but at least he kept trying which is a good sign for the future. I thought Papley, Fox, Clarke and Rowbottom were the only ones to offer any resistance when the heat was on. Very disappointing game by Mills, Parker and Heeney. McCartin brothers were both terrible. Buddy anonymous. Hickey would have been lynched on here if he played a game like that for Carlton. Horse made the fatal mistake of picking an injured key position player. Geelong were red hot no doubt and played well but they were far too easily allowed to play the game almost 100% on their terms. It was a dreadful game of football by Sydney.

That all said kudos to Geelong. I wrote them off this year but they were clearly the best team and thoroughly deserve the flag after years of heartbreaking near misses. They keep finding ways to reinvent themselves be it astute picks up like Smith and Stengle or bargain gets like Stewart, Atkins, Close etc. Whilst we all laugh how old they are they make their young players earn their spot which is good for them in the long run instead of gifting high draftees games like we did a few years back. The way Hawkins, Selwood and to a lesser degree Danger have eeked out every bit of talent from their ageing bodies has shades of Sticks, Braddles, Ratten and SOS and is the foundation for their long run of success.

I do acknowledge Voss, Cook and Sayers have taken us from pathetic irrelevancy to competitiveness but question the wether the pre requisite urgency and desire exist to take us to contending for a premiership
I think we’ll find out a lot more next year. A lot of words spoken at the end of this season by our players about how much the end of the season hurt them. Hopefully it’s not just all talk this time.

Oldest team to win the flag..16 in a row...hmmm. If all goes to plan, we belt then in round 14 next year on a Friday night and we go on to win the flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we’ll find out a lot more next year. A lot of words spoken at the end of this season by our players about how much the end of the season hurt them. Hopefully it’s not just all talk this time.

I think after the way we slid out of the 8 after spending all season in the top 8 will motivate the players enough to finish in the top 8 . As for a grand final . I don’t think we are that good . But stranger things have happened

Unfortunately these games happen. I remember heading off to the GF in 1999 and thinking we might have played ours last week. Sure enough....
No comparison
We lost by 35 points...it blew out to 40 at 3qtr time (they had kicked 15.6 so couldnt f&*() miss)
We had the same number of scoring shots at the end (and at half time)
We lost Justin Murphy with a broken leg??? during the game

I think after the way we slid out of the 8 after spending all season in the top 8 will motivate the players enough to finish in the top 8 . As for a grand final . I don’t think we are that good . But stranger things have happened

I’m certainly not expecting us to play in a grand final next year but making finals need to be the bare minimum and ideally we’d win a final.

98ac2a469535bae73a50d5329c9f91ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Was in the city after the game and certainly didn't feel like a GF had just been played. Few people that I spoke to that went to the game said that a lot of the cats supporters didn't seem that excited they'd just won ..

Oldest team to win the flag..16 in a row...hmmm. If all goes to plan, we belt then in round 14 next year on a Friday night and we go on to win the flag.

Oldest team to ever grace a game of VFL/AFL!! Ever!! Now there's a stat.

What yesterday told me is that we are very very close and can match it with the second best sides ie Sydney, Collingwood, Melbourne et al. Just need to improve over the break.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back