Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

Titch3Votes0MooreAA

"Burgoyne to put them in front. He doesn't miss."
Apr 15, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW, Man Utd
Today is some of the first live junior footy I've tuned into this year, so still just getting a feel. But I've loved a lot of what I've seen from Jhye Clark today. On the shorter side but seems a classic smart, inside/outside, high engine mid.

And I was shocked to read that Harley Reid is an under-ager. Kid is going to be a weapon.
100% agreed. I haven't been too high on Clark as he hasn't dominated the NAB League as I thought he would, but today changed my perceptions of him. He looked a class above the SA midfield. He showcased line-breaking pace, class, and ball-winning capabilities. He's also a very good leader, which is something we lack. After today, he's exceeded Phillipou, in my opinion.

Harley Reid was on absolute fire today. He secured Vic Country the victory in that last quarter. He held together that Vic Country defence in the 4th quarter, which was under constant attack, and he's not even a defender! It was Sicily-esk. I would be surprised if he's not selected in the top 3 next season.

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is there any chance D’aloia makes it to our second pick? Sounds like the kind of player that just cracks in and plays well every game, seems underated. We need 1/2 really good centre square mids

Titch3Votes0MooreAA

"Burgoyne to put them in front. He doesn't miss."
Apr 15, 2022
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
GSW, Man Utd
Is there any chance D’aloia makes it to our second pick? Sounds like the kind of player that just cracks in and plays well every game, seems underated. We need 1/2 really good centre square mids
I hope so. He projects to be late first-early second. I like him a hell of a lot.

Mrzohs

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You can lock in pick 3-6. We won't climb above 13th after Port's win today.

I always say pick the best available, pick home talent. we need a midfielder but another forward option would be very handy as well.

Mitch Lewis, Newcombe are further proof, first round selections can still be a lottery and is no guarantee. They are our best performed recent drafted players this season over Day,Dgb,Ward.

I really like C-Mac and Butler they continue to get better I see a bright future for both.

Sep 15, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We are a good chance of finishing in the bottom four. North and WCE are locks. That just leaves us, Essendon and Adelaide fighting it out.

I think we have two wins (North and WCE), maybe three with Adelaide too.

GWS away
Adelaide at Marvel
WCE at the G
North in Tassie
Saints at Marvel
GCS in Tassie
Richmond at the G
Doggies in Tassie

Adelaide should beat North tomorrow and jump ahead of us for the time being. They have:

North in Tassie
Melbourne at home
Us at Marvel
Pies at home
Sydney away
Carlton at home
WCE away
North at home
Port at home

They should win three (North x2 and WCE), and potentially five (us and Port).

Who knows what Essendon will dish up. One week they look great the next they look garbage.

Dont do this to yourself, you know we are going to pull of an upset or two.

Honestly, I have thought a bit like this in the past but in the end, I've been chuffed with the players we have ended up in and winning does so much for the kids.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Dont do this to yourself, you know we are going to pull of an upset or two.

Honestly, I have thought a bit like this in the past but in the end, I've been chuffed with the players we have ended up in and winning does so much for the kids.

Not sure I know that at all. We may pull out an upset, but at this point I think beating Adelaide would be an upset.

The only real guarantee is that North will finish dead last, and WCE should finish below us, Essendon and Adelaide.

Like most I'm happy with the progress we are showing, and I'm particularly happy with giving the youngsters some AFL exposure. Hopefully we put in some admirable performances in the expected losses, and end up with pick 4 or 5.

The real finals for us is what we manage to do during the FA and trade periods. Can we snag an extra first rounder? We need to lean on all our Brisbane connections and come up with a deal for their first.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
I think the beauty of this draft and where we are positioned is - there are multiple players that we could use and they will be available at our spot.

Last year there were only a few, and IMO Ward was the standout for our pick.

Wingnut19

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not sure I know that at all. We may pull out an upset, but at this point I think beating Adelaide would be an upset.

The only real guarantee is that North will finish dead last, and WCE should finish below us, Essendon and Adelaide.

Like most I'm happy with the progress we are showing, and I'm particularly happy with giving the youngsters some AFL exposure. Hopefully we put in some admirable performances in the expected losses, and end up with pick 4 or 5.

The real finals for us is what we manage to do during the FA and trade periods. Can we snag an extra first rounder? We need to lean on all our Brisbane connections and come up with a deal for their first.
Yep, this is by far the most enjoyable year out of last 4, despite 4-10 record. I’m stoked with what we have shown but now it’s gotta be time to step back play the youth and try get better draft spots. Richmond have 10/19, and Sydney have 13 and 18. So do we split our first for combo of these picks if they offer? I’m torn? Go back to last draft, early days I know but do you take one of Ward over a combo of Butler/MacDonald? You take the combo right? We should be trying to get as many top 25 picks as we can again.

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Pick 3 gets you Tsatas or Sheezel. I'd be holding.
We'd have to several top 20 picks for pick three I'd say.
Sheezal/Tsatas/Wardlaw is the goal, but if we're able to get Hewitt/George & Clark/Hollands I'd be tempted

Jul 22, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
Yep, this is by far the most enjoyable year out of last 4, despite 4-10 record. I’m stoked with what we have shown but now it’s gotta be time to step back play the youth and try get better draft spots. Richmond have 10/19, and Sydney have 13 and 18. So do we split our first for combo of these picks if they offer? I’m torn? Go back to last draft, early days I know but do you take one of Ward over a combo of Butler/MacDonald? You take the combo right? We should be trying to get as many top 25 picks as we can again.
Step back in what way? We've lost the last 10 out of 12 games! :oops: Any further back and we'll be in Roos territory.

Wingnut19

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Step back in what way? We've lost the last 10 out of 12 games! :oops: Any further back and we'll be in Roos territory.
Ha yeah I meant step back as in start playing the kids to find out who are keepers. You gotta admit but we been bloody competitive, a kick either way we beat Carlton, Collingwood to add to the Port, Cats and Lions wins.

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
Pick 3 gets you Tsatas or Sheezel. I'd be holding.
Would be surprised if we finish below both crows and dons (and gws not even certain) - probably depends how hard we push ‘development’ over next 4 weeks.

Also we may have a choice between best tall forward (Keeler/cadman) or 3-4th best mid or a fwd/mid like sheezel. Best available could be a tall - rarely if ever go needs with a top 6 pick

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Would be surprised if we finish below both crows and dons (and gws not even certain) - probably depends how hard we push ‘development’ over next 4 weeks.

Also we may have a choice between best tall forward (Keeler/cadman) or 3-4th best mid or a fwd/mid like sheezel. Best available could be a tall - rarely if ever go needs with a top 6 pick

This argument was done to death last season, but you can afford a 'needs based' selection if you rate two players closely enough. If we rated (as a basic example) Clarke, Cadman, Sheezel in that order of best available, but felt the gap between all 3 was minimal, I'd expect Cadman to fall to 3rd personally.

An elite level midfielder is a must IMO.

Jul 22, 2021
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
Ha yeah I meant step back as in start playing the kids to find out who are keepers. You gotta admit but we been bloody competitive, a kick either way we beat Carlton, Collingwood to add to the Port, Cats and Lions wins.
Ah, okay! Understand. Yep, we've been pretty impressive in most games - it's been a surprisingly enjoyable 4-10 season.

burner1

Premiership Player
Nov 3, 2005
victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawks
This argument was done to death last season, but you can afford a 'needs based' selection if you rate two players closely enough. If we rated (as a basic example) Clarke, Cadman, Sheezel in that order of best available, but felt the gap between all 3 was minimal, I'd expect Cadman to fall to 3rd personally.

An elite level midfielder is a must IMO.
You don’t stuff around with early first round picks. You go best talent (especially with the talent issues we have). Midfield is always going to be a multi year fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back