Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you look at those names it really does show how even this next stage of th3 draft is. Wouldn't say any player really stands out from the other.
Munkara probably would if the Bombres hadn’t hidden him this year.

It's great because the next time the Swans have an academy player about 6 teams are going to want to screw them.
Yeah.

I always thought the clubs were generally friendly towards others in terms of F/Ss and academies, sort of a gentlemen's agreement to keep it civil.....well the Swans blew that out of the water last night

They've got a couple of academy prospects next year....going to be interesting

Kaleb Smith - this guy can run in an isaac smith way

Max Gruzewski - KPD - this guy can take speccies - always required

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since the Bombers will almost certainly have to match a bid on Alwyn Davey Jr. early in the proceedings, could we see the Bombers run out of picks to draft Munkara? They have three choices after their selection at 25 (49, 54, and 59), which I imagine they'd use to match a bid for Davey. Let's say they trade some future picks to get enough picks to select Davey. This will probably leave them with two choices after their selection at 25. We have pick 37. Munkara should be available at pick 37; we select him, and Essendon should run out before they can match a bid for him. He possesses the x-factor that our current array of forwards doesn't possess. Other players, which I hope we're analysing at picks 37 and 45, include Keeler, Long, D'Aloia, Magor, Binns, Gallagher, Drury, Leary, Dowling, Lovelock, Tedcastle, McMullin, and Hagan.

Since the Bombers will almost certainly have to match a bid on Alwyn Davey Jr. early in the proceedings, could we see the Bombers run out of picks to draft Munkara? They have three choices after their selection at 25 (49, 54, and 59), which I imagine they'd use to match a bid for Davey. Let's say they trade some future picks to get enough picks to select Davey. This will probably leave them with two choices after their selection at 25. We have pick 37. Munkara should be available at pick 37; we select him, and Essendon should run out before they can match a bid for him. He possesses the x-factor that our current array of forwards doesn't possess. Other players, which I hope we're analysing at picks 37 and 45, include Keeler, Long, D'Aloia, Magor, Binns, Gallagher, Drury, Leary, Dowling, Lovelock, Tedcastle, McMullin, and Hagan.
They so scared of losing Munkara, there is discussion on their board of just using pick 22 on him and then match Davey, they will still have pick in 50's after that. which can be used to pick someone and then the other Davey.

To complete the list rebuild we take:

• James Van Es, and
  • Harry Lemmey

and one of
- Kaleb Smith/Vickery.(prefer Smith)

Note: if Munkarra is available at our next Pick surely we don't pass on him. Doubt he’ll be there.

They so scared of losing Munkara, there is discussion on their board of just using pick 22 on him and then match Davey, they will still have pick in 50's after that. which can be used to pick someone and then the other Davey.
I wouldn't be surprised if Munkara were picked at pick 22 (currently pick 25). He undoubtedly possesses the talent to be selected so highly. He had an excellent performance against Collingwood's VFL team in May, which led me and many others to include him in our top 10 draftee rankings. Hopefully, we will be able to pick him up at 37.

My view on the pick swap last night (I passed out last night without saying much), is that unless your Geelong trading with Gold Coast, you will always pay overs to break into the first round. Especially, if its on draft night - most pundits have voiced this same thing, and didn't really blink at us passing in the picks we did (such as Twomey).

If our professional scouting department saw the pick as good value, then I think it's good we're getting a higher grade of talent into our club sooner. It's very likely Weddle would be gone by our pick, as most phantom drafts I saw had Weddle alongside Allen in late-teens, early 20s.

Other point, is that if we picked Allen, everyone would be cheering the trade based partly (not completely, as he has very good potential) on non-performance criteria - i.e. the romance of bringing back a son of a gun, which I also feel. But at this stage, Weddle and Allen had very little between them.

I would trust our scouting team and our development processes. All you need to do is cast your gaze to this time last year, where ALL players picked last year played at least one game with us in the next immediate season, including Ned Long from the Rookie draft. Still plenty to go, but the talent pipeline looks good so far, so I feel the faith in their scouting ability is on point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back