Other Teams
Arsenal, Chicago Bulls
Last edited:

Buttermann

Draftee
Mar 29, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As of right now (which admittedly means very little considering how far we're out!), the dream scenario for me would be:

MSD: Mutaz El Nour

National Draft:
First pick: Jedd Busslinger
End of first round PP: Lachie Cowan (if I'm honest, I think he ends up going mid first round, but you can always hope)
Later down the line: Cooper Harvey
Late selection: Matthew Payne (quick and agile small forward who'll no doubt slide and suffer due to being on the Jets list)

From both a talent and club needs perpective, El Nour and Busslinger make a lot of sense. Over the course of the season things could definitely change, but the picks above would fill needs and also happen to be very talented footballers who I predict (from a long way out admittedly) will end up around those picks.

I'd argue that El Nour, from both a talent and role perspective, would come straight into our best 22 if we picked him up in the MSD. He'd perfectly fill the role left by Ziebell in the backline and perform it comfortably better. I'm going early on this one but Busslinger is my favourite prospect from this draft and I want him at our first selection. He's the dream modern day key defender - excellent interceptor and offers a ton offensively due to his footskills and dash off the back flank - a lot of draft rankings are sleeping on this bloke, he'll be a top 3 lock by year's end and after reviewing footage for the last couple of days, I've comfortably come to the conclusion that he is a better prospect than DGB at the same age. Lachie Cowan is a really good sized line-breaking back flanker from Tassie - I'm probably way too ambitious having him at the end of the first round but you can hope.

We've nailed the last couple of drafts for me - if we can do it again by nailing picks that fill needs around the defense and small forward, then we've really set a solid foundation to build on from next year onwards.
New to this thread, love these selections here. As someone who enjoys watching up and coming draft prospects I always love underdogs and growing up in the Western suburbs as a kid I’m glad Matthew Payne has been a shining light in an otherwise bang average jets team. He impressed me the minute I saw him in the metro game last year, wanted to watch how he went playing in a game against Nick Watson for Eastern in a practice match earlier this year they both went pound for pound kicking 5 each, unfortunately he hasn’t been able to have a breakout game since the beginning of the official season but I believe I saw on a thread he is at Melbourne Grammar so I’m sure he’ll get silver service there.

Also really like the Cowen pick have seen him on replay and hope to see him live when he plays back up in Melbourne. His ceiling is massive as is busslinger’s!

Val Keating

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sorry I haven’t kept up with the thread, but is the general consensus that we draft Scully?

roos_fanatic08

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sorry I haven’t kept up with the thread, but is the general consensus that we draft Scully?

Would be hard to pass up on Wardlaw if he is available.

But you'd expect we'd go with one of the talls in Busslinger, Scully or Lemmy.

Still a bit to play out with Scully, it will be interesting to see how he goes at the championships/reserves/league level when he is playing against higher quality opponents. At the moment he is dominating in the SANFL under 18's at the moment, because he is often playing on kids who are 15+cm smaller and 10+kg lighter than him.

My biggest concern (mainly because I haven't seen him play on genuine defenders) is that I'm not sure he has that King Twins level of contested marking ability.

Val Keating

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Still a bit to play out with Scully, it will be interesting to see how he goes at the championships/reserves/league level when he is playing against higher quality opponents. At the moment he is dominating in the SANFL under 18's at the moment, because he is often playing on kids who are 15+cm smaller and 10+kg lighter than him.

My biggest concern (mainly because I haven't seen him play on genuine defenders) is that I'm not sure he has that King Twins level of contested marking ability.

How does he go at school footy where they’re allowed to flood numbers back? Agree though, a kid his size will generally have it easier when they’re so much bigger then everyone else and he’s probably too light framed to play senior footy.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf

What would be the best Wardlaw comparison?

As talented as our young midfield group is, there’s still “ifs and buts“ on them.…….

”Wait until he builds his tank”
”Wait until he gets healthy”
”Wait until he bulks up”

And until the one with no question marks on him signs on……

SonofSamsquanch

Pretty Vacant
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Nice pickup.

Draft several 180cm types and hope they boom up to 195cm+ at some point.

Luffy likes to call it "draft grooming".
Eat more chicken. And pork. And the stories about Aussie beef recently makes puts it back onto the athlete's diet plan. Not the one's that Curtis Stone advertises of course. Obviously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

roos_fanatic08

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What would be the best Wardlaw comparison?

As talented as our young midfield group is, there’s still “ifs and buts“ on them.…….

”Wait until he builds his tank”
”Wait until he gets healthy”
”Wait until he bulks up”

And until the one with no question marks on him signs on……
Early days Joel Selwood. Balanced, tough, courageous, competitive, leadership in spades. Good in tight, but more than capable on the outside with a long kick. Tackles to hurt.

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Interested in where you are at now Souup ?
Still on Busslinger for first pick?
MSD? - ElNour? Derkson? Or Culley?
Wardlaw, Busslinger or Scully at #1 for me.

I'm personally an El Nour fan but no issue with Culley or Menzie.

If I'm being cheeky, I'd have a look at Ramsden in the hopes of turning him into a key defender.

EDIT: Added Menzie.

Last edited:

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Eat more chicken. And pork. And the stories about Aussie beef recently makes puts it back onto the athlete's diet plan. Not the one's that Curtis Stone advertises of course. Obviously.
buy local beef and you cant go wrong, disregarding the fact that iam a beef producer i would trust beef ( and lamb for that matter) over chicken and pork any day of the week. interesting your perception is the opposite.

and if you dont agree with me try arguing it with this fella, all 800 kilos of him.
7-LlUnBHjAlP0wCQbD8-nYD5obwy8AyqflB_Zql39rMUMfqs21VXn3m68Zv1_gSHBTXuF2i2iXL4dCDGZel0LrHVBGiyy_wyENWqKr7jWJwsQrIsDWXH2Wxtc0urkinRjpA2a4IXH6H6IywyUgwi0fd7JPjr-sI5OmYObHr0PBOImIsmm1259dI7_L87bLX7oRmIhEHcdcMMz0A9OS_Ker0vm1kmUohDfEdsQhzLEnBWzCv8lo5OMsMyb5O2Yua-06w0dZDM5qkVfBPm4D582skJle-vuTdH-KgFGZPbTstPgEVoYaYNGq7vfIdA2LrrbKNk3j6G45SuVAOhfW5Askntm-Sz4og1yP5iHl5ZK1u_pzFzBkpqEFauRSdiLOxmHUf7X3t_nmkigzTFA3HWQKCkC6X8kTwhE9hTMtTHL3hvdihYlJDJ55X1YCe0kLKoj_akIo4sIuXWvYAyuq0S3CyWNIHWjl-WnSQtG1RCJiTeUM2fvuEkyHN0sVVRku7B6Qtu7cpubYKOmNlJv4JCA4bEJAhFxiRTwc4Klyjh1dJhmMiCMkGP_ldoI7d1ZGHnmKd4Xq3tyx1wVGnUK8AcOSui3eom4nqO7TdDSO4MTNHZrFTHNs3RJy86Tqa9-wBjEgyi_1xwgryQq7o0wsERCgdzdoL5Lbti9z1RLpEu9NR31hJU4TThPbGMpnhI4sDssdCMgoN6BoNQo2qXOMzFxTQLO9HoUXa7VzkR2pgGlsUHyeVyOq6PWLbVjWpfZZk=w836-h627-no

krakouers

Certified with Bonz Tick of Approval
Sep 13, 2011
People's Independent Republic of Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Claremont
buy local beef and you cant go wrong, disregarding the fact that iam a beef producer i would trust beef ( and lamb for that matter) over chicken and pork any day of the week. interesting your perception is the opposite.

and if you dont agree with me try arguing it with this fella, all 800 kilos of him.
7-LlUnBHjAlP0wCQbD8-nYD5obwy8AyqflB_Zql39rMUMfqs21VXn3m68Zv1_gSHBTXuF2i2iXL4dCDGZel0LrHVBGiyy_wyENWqKr7jWJwsQrIsDWXH2Wxtc0urkinRjpA2a4IXH6H6IywyUgwi0fd7JPjr-sI5OmYObHr0PBOImIsmm1259dI7_L87bLX7oRmIhEHcdcMMz0A9OS_Ker0vm1kmUohDfEdsQhzLEnBWzCv8lo5OMsMyb5O2Yua-06w0dZDM5qkVfBPm4D582skJle-vuTdH-KgFGZPbTstPgEVoYaYNGq7vfIdA2LrrbKNk3j6G45SuVAOhfW5Askntm-Sz4og1yP5iHl5ZK1u_pzFzBkpqEFauRSdiLOxmHUf7X3t_nmkigzTFA3HWQKCkC6X8kTwhE9hTMtTHL3hvdihYlJDJ55X1YCe0kLKoj_akIo4sIuXWvYAyuq0S3CyWNIHWjl-WnSQtG1RCJiTeUM2fvuEkyHN0sVVRku7B6Qtu7cpubYKOmNlJv4JCA4bEJAhFxiRTwc4Klyjh1dJhmMiCMkGP_ldoI7d1ZGHnmKd4Xq3tyx1wVGnUK8AcOSui3eom4nqO7TdDSO4MTNHZrFTHNs3RJy86Tqa9-wBjEgyi_1xwgryQq7o0wsERCgdzdoL5Lbti9z1RLpEu9NR31hJU4TThPbGMpnhI4sDssdCMgoN6BoNQo2qXOMzFxTQLO9HoUXa7VzkR2pgGlsUHyeVyOq6PWLbVjWpfZZk=w836-h627-no
Depends what they are fed and where they are raised

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I got no beef with you Kosh! But I'm trying to figure out the sudden growth spurts in athletes from places like Spain and the like.
all good, i know the herd are happy and healthy while they are here, if anything the wife panders to them way to much, but yes its like all production once it gets corporatised, the prices they are paying for beef at the moment is pretty insane. with grain prices on the rise as well its got to be a pretty marginal venture for the feedlotters atm.

krakouers

Certified with Bonz Tick of Approval
Sep 13, 2011
People's Independent Republic of Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Claremont
which in turn pretty much depends where u live. admittedly some breeds like wagyu have different finishing methods, otherwise most are finished up in feedlots.
I love this board sometimes, a draft chat has turned into Landline…
More please 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad