Arsenal, Chicago Bulls
Last edited:

wazza03

All Australian
Aug 31, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Good idea splitting pick 1/2 for 2 other first round picks. The only negative with this is that the talls we are after may be gone by the time our pick comes around and we may end up with egg on our faces.
I’m not against it, but we’d want to make sure that the first pick is in the 4-6 range.
Another strategy should be trading out future first round pick, hoping that we’ll rise up the ladder for another first round pick this year.
This is risky but some clubs like Melbourne are doing this well.
Could also backfire as we’ve seen in the past. Just need to get creative given our current picks. I’m also not that confident that our club and the guys in charge here could pull this off.
Hopefully we’ll get a PP at the end of the first round too as this would help us immensely.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

the Ziebull

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If we split the pick I’d actually be more inclined to using an extra pick on bringing in a trade target

Eg) Griffin Logue

Mixed Results

Club Legend
Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Another option for splitting our pick is to look at what Melbourne did in 2013 when they turned pick 2 into pick 9 and Dom Tyson.

Now obviously Dom Tyson didn’t live up to his potential, but I still think it’s an option worth considering.

The 2022 equivalent would be something like Pick 1 to GWS for Pick 5 and Bruhn, with some future picks changing hands as well. There’s obviously other targets out there since Bruhn doesn’t fill a need, but it gives you an example of what can be done.

TennisPlayerAndy

Game #6 Klay
Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR
Another option for splitting our pick is to look at what Melbourne did in 2013 when they turned pick 2 into pick 9 and Dom Tyson.

Now obviously Dom Tyson didn’t live up to his potential, but I still think it’s an option worth considering.

The 2022 equivalent would be something like Pick 1 to GWS for Pick 5 and Bruhn, with some future picks changing hands as well. There’s obviously other targets out there since Bruhn doesn’t fill a need, but it gives you an example of what can be done.

That pick ended up being Josh Kelly.

They dun gone ducked up.

the Ziebull

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Yep this was my thinking too

Something like our first for freos first and Logue

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Good idea splitting pick 1/2 for 2 other first round picks. The only negative with this is that the talls we are after may be gone by the time our pick comes around and we may end up with egg on our faces.

The club will know roughly which players will and won't be around at pick ~10, there should be absolutely no chance we are left with egg on our faces.

You only make the trade if you're sure the players you want will be there.

Mixed Results

Club Legend
Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That pick ended up being Josh Kelly.

They dun gone ducked up.

If we made the trade we’d be giving up an almost guaranteed 200 game midfielder for what’s likely going to be a speculative tall and a young player who has underwhelmed so far.

There’s a lot of potential for backfiring, so it should only be done if the club sees no value in drafting another midfielder.

Melbourne are so deep in the middle that they hardly care that they could have had Josh Kelly. Hopefully JHF, Phillips, LDU, Simpkin, Powell, Thomas etc can make us feel the same.

wazza03

All Australian
Aug 31, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The club will know roughly which players will and won't be around at pick ~10, there should be absolutely no chance we are left with egg on our faces.

You only make the trade if you're sure the players you want will be there.

When it comes to handing over pick 1/2 “roughly” is too risky.
You’d want to be certain that your target player will be there.
There have been instances where clubs have picked up a player that was predicted to go lower due to needs etc.

shintemaster

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 24, 2002
Ponderama
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If we made the trade we’d be giving up an almost guaranteed 200 game midfielder for what’s likely going to be a speculative tall and a young player who has underwhelmed so far.

There’s a lot of potential for backfiring, so it should only be done if the club sees no value in drafting another midfielder.

Melbourne are so deep in the middle that they hardly care that they could have had Josh Kelly. Hopefully JHF, Phillips, LDU, Simpkin, Powell, Thomas etc can make us feel the same.

I kind of agree with you on this. I do believe we need to get more KP depth into the team but fundamentally I also think you get the best talent you can at the pointy end of the draft. It's not the worst thing if a few very good mids get pushed out for other trades / picks.

Souup

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
When it comes to handing over pick 1/2 “roughly” is too risky.
You’d want to be certain that your target player will be there.
There have been instances where clubs have picked up a player that was predicted to go lower due to needs etc.

Maybe I'm being too vague in my language. The club will know whether 2 of Scully, Busslinger, Cowan, Keeler, Munkara, Lemmey, [insert another player that fits needs] will be available at the 2 selections we have.

There should be basically 0 risk. The trade simply should not occur without the risk being totally removed.

I think many don't understand how well known club intentions are within the first 10-15 picks. Most clubs will know exactly which players a club will select or which 2 or 3 they're selecting between and then what will be left for us.

King Corey

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

We get a flag and I don't care if we gave up Wayne Gretsky and Claudia Schiffer in a pick slide.

The acurate one

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

The 2022 equivalent would be something like Pick 1 to GWS for Pick 5 and Bruhn, with some future picks changing hands as well. There’s obviously other targets out there since Bruhn doesn’t fill a need, but it gives you an example of what can be done

A great example of what it can cost you when you fucl< round at the draft. How many times has pick #1 been traded in the past?
I think we'll end up last fwiw and doubt we'd trade it. Apparently we had no intention of trading pick 1 last season. So not sure why we entertained offers.

Seems like a waste of time to me and it's not like we had nothing to do. And as wonderful as some of these suggestion are, no club would swap pick 1 for say pick 5 & plus & plus.

We just got keep on track and we'll get our PP. And if a club was doing to give up the earth for the first pick, surely they'd be better of getting Joyces over and soon enough they'd have plenty of early picks.

Oh well

shintemaster

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 24, 2002
Ponderama
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A great example of what it can cost you when you fucl< round at the draft. How many times has pick #1 been traded in the past?
I think we'll end up last fwiw and doubt we'd trade it. Apparently we had no intention of trading pick 1 last season. So not sure why we entertained offers.

Seems like a waste of time to me and it's not like we had nothing to do. And as wonderful as some of these suggestion are, no club would swap pick 1 for say pick 5 & plus & plus.

We just got keep on track and we'll get our PP. And if a club was doing to give up the earth for the first pick, surely they'd be better of getting Joyces over and soon enough they'd have plenty of early picks.

Oh well
You still have to IMO. Who knows how desparate a club might be. FWIW I though offers for that JHF were nowhere near his value (backed by what we've seen so far) but that doesn't mean there wouldn't be a value that was acceptable to us. I always thought that nobody would be willing to offer what we would have asked though. I honestly think it would have taken something like 2 picks under 5 + a good, prime player <25 in a positional need for us to think seriously about it. I'd be furious if we ever offered something like that... but you never know unless you allow the questions to be asked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

King Corey

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
You still have to IMO. Who knows how desparate a club might be. FWIW I though offers for that JHF were nowhere near his value (backed by what we've seen so far) but that doesn't mean there wouldn't be a value that was acceptable to us. I always thought that nobody would be willing to offer what we would have asked though. I honestly think it would have taken something like 2 picks under 5 + a good, prime player <25 in a positional need for us to think seriously about it. I'd be furious if we ever offered something like that... but you never know unless you allow the questions to be asked.

Exactly. The offers were just nonsense.

If Gold Coast had put up something like pick #3 and Ben King, now THAT would've got us thinking.

But various permutations of "here North take a pick slide and be grateful we spoke to you" do not equal enticing offers.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
New York Yankees; Leeds United
Our draft position is so poor - and our need for talent so high - that something bold will need to be undertaken come draft time in October.

The idea that we are picking up only one young player in the top 50 in the third year of a rebuild is nonsense.

At this early stage and alot to play out of course BUT I would be looking to talk to the Gold Coast about swapping our entire draft hand with them.

They will only need 1 pick and for them its about quality (pick 1 or 2) not quantity.

For us its about quality and quantity - we need lots of darts to throw.

Gold Coast currently have pick 7 and then 25, 27, 33, 43 and 45.

We would swap 25 and 33 to get a pick around 12.

This would then give us 5 picks in the first 50 (including 7 and 12) rather than just the one pick we have now.

roos 10

Debutant
Jun 24, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Our draft position is so poor - and our need for talent so high - that something bold will need to be undertaken come draft time in October.

The idea that we are picking up only one young player in the top 50 in the third year of a rebuild is nonsense.

At this early stage and alot to play out of course BUT I would be looking to talk to the Gold Coast about swapping our entire draft hand with them.

They will only need 1 pick and for them its about quality (pick 1 or 2) not quantity.

For us its about quality and quantity - we need lots of darts to throw.

Gold Coast currently have pick 7 and then 25, 27, 33, 43 and 45.

We would swap 25 and 33 to get a pick around 12.

This would then give us 5 picks in the first 50 (including 7 and 12) rather than just the one pick we have now.
Brisbane may Need points to we could swap pick 43 47 and pick in50s for pick 18
Would leave us with7-12-18 and ppick 2 or 19 what ever they give us

TennisPlayerAndy

Game #6 Klay
Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR
You say that, but I bet any one here would be more delighted with her company at any age rather than Wayne’s :p
1653310166736.gif

shinboner magic

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Brisbane may Need points to we could swap pick 43 47 and pick in50s for pick 18
Would leave us with7-12-18 and ppick 2 or 19 what ever they give us
Yeah we need to work some magic to get more than one crack in the first 50 picks.

Has our club got the balls to trade a top 2 pick out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad