Arsenal, Chicago Bulls
Last edited:

the big lebowski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I know with pick 1 you take best available but IMO we have the middle sorted. We desperately need another tall. So far it looks pretty even with no stand out no1.

There’s a few talls likely in the first round. Wouldn’t be against trading pick 1 at this stage to get 2 talls in the first round, unless we get a priority pick.

I’m dead set against this for this draft. As I am about trading our future first into this year.

The draft class this year isn’t filling me with much certainty.

For me, it’s Busslinger or sheezel as both will help fill a need (particularly Buss). The “great draft for talls” isn’t really panning out that way at this stage IMO.

Have to go with one of the top picks this year.

Next years likely no 1 archer Reid is a kpf playing very well at every level he plays at this year. He’s the tall we want.

shinboner magic

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
I’m dead set against this for this draft. As I am about trading our future first into this year.

The draft class this year isn’t filling me with much certainty.

For me, it’s Busslinger or sheezel as both will help fill a need (particularly Buss). The “great draft for talls” isn’t really panning out that way at this stage IMO.

Have to go with one of the top picks this year.

Next years likely no 1 archer Reid is a kpf playing very well at every level he plays at this year. He’s the tall we want.
It’s always next year for a kpd

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In the MSD which isn’t littered with success stories
Really? The MSD seems to do alright. Pickett, Snelling, Gardner, Noble, Newcombe, Durham and West. Nice little collection of role players from less than 40 picks over just the two drafts. A few more will come on ... Massimo looks good ...

Sample size probably too small now to say it's a good or poor way to get good players.

Val Keating

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Really? The MSD seems to do alright. Pickett, Snelling, Gardner, Noble, Newcombe, Durham and West. Nice little collection of role players from less than 40 picks over just the two drafts. A few more will come on ... Massimo looks good ...

Sample size probably too small now to say it's a good or poor way to get good players.

We’ll see I spose. 7 players making it isn’t great odds. Edwards might be another to make the list if he manages to put on weight.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We’ll see I spose. 7 players making it isn’t great odds. Edwards might be another to make the list if he manages to put on weight.
I mean they're the seven that have become best 22 since 2019. There's others that are still developing in the twos. Plus I'm still bullish on Lachie Hosie.

nelroo

Premiership Player
Aug 8, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I know with pick 1 you take best available but IMO we have the middle sorted. We desperately need another tall. So far it looks pretty even with no stand out no1.

There’s a few talls likely in the first round. Wouldn’t be against trading pick 1 at this stage to get 2 talls in the first round, unless we get a priority pick.
I’d argue we do not have the middle sorted at all. The pure genuine mids we have IMO are LDU, Phillips, Powell, JHF and an ageing Cunners.
Simpkin is a forward IMO along with Thomas. Cannot pass up Ashcroft if he’s there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Val Keating

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’d argue we do not have the middle sorted at all. The pure genuine mids we have IMO are LDU, Phillips, Powell, JHF and an ageing Cunners.
Simpkin is a forward IMO along with Thomas. Cannot pass up Ashcroft if he’s there.

We have the core of the midfield sorted, the players you mentioned, and importantly we have players that can rotate through there like Thomas, Zurhaar, Stephenson, Simpkin, and considering we’re in the draft thread and are talking future I’d put Cooper, Taylor & Curtis.

We desperately need a tall forward that can take a contested mark.

shinboner magic

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Yes it’ll be a mid as they’re the best 3-4 players and you can’t reach there.
But I hope with pick 80 and 81 we get a kpd and kpf

roos_fanatic08

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m so curious to see what we do this year. We desperately need more picks inside the top 25, but I’ve been saying that for the last 15 years.

Personally i’d split pick 1, but we’d have to get a top 5 pick to make it worthwhile. Take best available mid with them top 5 pick (Ashcroft, Wardlaw, Phillipou, Sheezel, Tsatas).

Then go with talls with any other picks we have before Cooper Harvey.

Other than Busslinger I don’t think any of the other key talls will go inside the top 10. You could make a case for Keeler & Cadman, as they have been consistent but Lemmy and Scully would be big risks to take inside the top 10 IMO. Scully can’t even make the state side, and Lemmy isn’t having much of an impact at that level considering how highly rated he is.

ferball

Premium Platinum
Jul 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m so curious to see what we do this year. We desperately need more picks inside the top 25, but I’ve been saying that for the last 15 years.

Personally i’d split pick 1, but we’d have to get a top 5 pick to make it worthwhile. Take best available mid with them top 5 pick (Ashcroft, Wardlaw, Phillipou, Sheezel, Tsatas).

Then go with talls with any other picks we have before Cooper Harvey.

Other than Busslinger I don’t think any of the other key talls will go inside the top 10. You could make a case for Keeler & Cadman, as they have been consistent but Lemmy and Scully would be big risks to take inside the top 10 IMO. Scully can’t even make the state side, and Lemmy isn’t having much of an impact at that level considering how highly rated he is.
I have the same funny hunch about Keeler that I had about Kosi Pickett, even when he was ranked in the 30s.

Chewy Chewman

Senior List
Jan 28, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was of the opinion that we needed KP’s but our midfield is still dogshit. Not sure we can pass up a talent like Wardlaw.
After today’s performance our midfield is miles off being complete.

However interestingly Keeler kicked 1.2 from 16 touches against Vic country today. Showed enough get excited about.

shinboner magic

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
I was of the opinion that we needed KP’s but our midfield is still dogshit. Not sure we can pass up a talent like Wardlaw.

Take the Greenwood the human statue out of the midfield and replace him with Powell/Phillips and then we can talk.
They aren’t going to any worse than him - he got it 25 and did duck all

Remove this Banner Ad