Other Teams
Arsenal, Chicago Bulls
Last edited:

Pagans Paddock99

Senior List
Jul 8, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Take the Greenwood the human statue out of the midfield and replace him with Powell/Phillips and then we can talk.
They aren’t going to any worse than him - he got it 25 and did duck all

We have too many hack kickers out of a contest and not enough that can either break away or absorb contact to setup someone else to break away…

We actually won the contested footy today and just hacked kicked to a contest all day. Greenwood burnt so many teammates by just clearing the congestion rather than hand balling to someone on the move.

To think he has already triggered the 3rd year on his contract is a worry…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

shinboner magic

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Jed- Greenwood are battlers
Simpkin can’t kick
LDU not aggressive enough
TT miles of it
Phillips, JHF, and Powell need to see more.
Cunners back would help

None of them really run both ways.

Our midfield is far from complete.
We need shitmen mids that might not be the greatest footballers but will run both ways hard.
Like Keays, Crisp so got their sides - our mids are two things slow unskilled plodders or attacking one way runners with no defence
Need a better balance

roos_fanatic08

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Two later picks (post 20) who I think we really need to have to look at is Adam D’Aloia and Blake Drury. Both are pure footballers but both have a athleticism and explosiveness. They are physical types that really impact the contest and set the tone with their physicality.

Drury played for Metro on the weekend and had 26 disposals, 1 goal, 6 tackles and 8 inside 50’s. He can play through the midfield but can also play across half forward pushing up into the midfield as a link player, much the same way Leigh Adams used to play for us. Has some real zip and spark in his game too.

Adam D’Aloia is the SA skipper and you can see why. Rarely has a bad game, is super physical. Can also float forward. The thing that stands out though is that he does all the team things well. 1%er’s, sheperds, all the things that are currently lacking in our game. Against a much more fancied Country side he had 28 disposals, 7 clearances, 1 goal and 8 tackles. He reminds me a lot of Luke Parker from the Swans.

archereleven

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 7, 2013
Cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons
Simpkin - 23 cba's/0 centre clearances
LDU - 23 cba's/1 centre clearance
Greenwood - 17 cba's/1 centre clearance
Jed - 15 cba's/2 centre clearances

These are numbers against a s**t side.

Midfielders are definitely still on the table draft wise in a big way. We need to bolster kpp with the draft and get some experience in via FA...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

shinboner magic

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Simpkin - 23 cba's/0 centre clearances
LDU - 23 cba's/1 centre clearance
Greenwood - 17 cba's/1 centre clearance
Jed - 15 cba's/2 centre clearances

These are numbers against a s**t side.

Midfielders are definitely still on the table draft wise in a big way. We need to bolster kpp with the draft and get some experience in via FA...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not if we aren’t going to play them in there - looks like noble likes only mature bodies in there

Phillyroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles Baby
First qtr against the crows our run and spread looked fine…. What changed after that? No run, no spread and looked pedestrian.
This team is screaming loudly for players that can move and make the opposing side move with them. We are so easy to defend, as things stand.

Give me the best running midfielder and best running defender in his draft please!!!

Wild Bill

Brownlow Medallist
May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
First qtr against the crows our run and spread looked fine…. What changed after that? No run, no spread and looked pedestrian.
This team is screaming loudly for players that can move and make the opposing side move with them. We are so easy to defend, as things stand.

Give me the best running midfielder and best running defender in his draft please!!!
Tatas is your mid.

roos_fanatic08

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I agree, but with our current pick setup we’ll struggle to get more than 2 half decent players through the door.

Speaking of running defenders. I really like Jonti Schuback. Had a cracking game for Country on the weekend with 21 disposals and 11 marks. Knows how to accumulate across half back and isn’t afraid to break the lines with link up play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DesertRoo

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think we have to go key position here.
We’ve already invested heavily in the midfield and even if we have a dominate midfield unfortunately I don’t think we’ll be able to attract high profile key forward.
We’ll need to develop our own.

Phillyroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles Baby
I'd say he is more an accumulator like Tom Mitchell but a little bit quicker version, doesn't have the crazy elite endurance of Sam Walsh imo.
Seen him play 5 times live, and he is way closer to Walsh imo.
Runs hard to link up time after time. Better late in qtrs as opponents tire.

roos_fanatic08

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Who does Wardlaw resemble?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

A bit of a combination of both Luke Shuey & Dangerfield . Burst away from the stoppages, long kicking, physical and competitive beast, who is also really strong overhead. Would say his kicking and decision making is better than the two above though.

Phillyroo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles Baby
A bit of a combination of both Luke Shuey & Dangerfield . Burst away from the stoppages, long kicking, physical and competitive beast, who is also really strong overhead. Would say his kicking and decision making is better than the two above though.
I appreciate that Ashcroft seems ungettable due to the Lions situation… but if Wardlaw and Ashcroft were equally available, I’m running to the podium to pick Ashcroft.

roos_fanatic08

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I appreciate that Ashcroft seems ungettable due to the Lions situation… but if Wardlaw and Ashcroft were equally available, I’m running to the podium to pick Ashcroft.
I agree. I think you just can't overlook his weight of numbers. He has stepped up to VFL and had an impact too.

Not only that, Ashcroft would compliment our midfield perfectly. Accumulator who runs hard both ways, high footy IQ. Makes the players around him better by opening up the play by hand.

A starting midfield rotation of LDU, JHF & Ashcroft would be freakishly good and balanced.

roos_fanatic08

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 21, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think we have to go key position here.
We’ve already invested heavily in the midfield and even if we have a dominate midfield unfortunately I don’t think we’ll be able to attract high profile key forward.
We’ll need to develop our own.
Outside of Busslinger and Keeler I don't think there is a KP in this draft who is really deserving of being a top 10 pick.

Cadman would be on the fringe of the top 10 imo, but there are big question marks over Lemmy, while Scully isn't even making his state side (for reasons unknown).

Either split pick 1 to increase our draft hand and slide down the order to take KP's or take best available whether that is Ashcroft (bid), Wardlaw, Sheezel or Phillipou.

There are going to be some decent key position players later on (>20) in the draft who are worth looking at. Particularly Lewis Hayes (Key Defender), Henry Hustwaite (Key Defender), James Van Es (Key Defender), Matt Jefferson (Key Forward) and Oliver Northam (Utility)

Last edited:

DesertRoo

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Outside of Busslinger and Keeler I don't think there is a KP in this draft who is really deserving of being a top 10 pick.

Cadman would be on the fringe of the top 10 imo, but there are big question marks over Lemmy, while Scully isn't even making his state side (for reasons unknown).

Either split pick 1 to increase our draft hand 9and slide down the order to take KP's or take best available whether that is Ashcroft (bid), Wardlaw, Sheezel or Phillipou.

There are going to be some decent key position players later on (>20) in the draft who are worth looking at. Particularly Lewis Hayes (Key Defender), Henry Hustwaite (Key Defender), James Van Es (Key Defender), Matt Jefferson (Key Forward) and Oliver Northam (Utility)
From brief highlight vids I’ve seen, those are the two id move bell and high water to get this year.
Keller and Buss along with Harvey kid as a small and I’d call that a successful draft.

It would sure up our spine and take a highly rated kid in an area of need.

Remove this Banner Ad