Review 2022 AFLW Draft - Winners and losers, re-do the draft, who won?

Remove this Banner Ad

How To Watch
The 2022 NAB AFLW Draft will be broadcast live, free and exclusively on womens.afl and the AFL Women's app from 7pm on Wednesday, June 29.

Hopefully the live stream will be in here:

Have a go at tipping the first round - the winner gets a 12 month Premium Platinum membership (no ads!) Entries close before the first pick is called.
The Inaugural BigFooty Official AFLW Draft Tipping Competition

I'll update the spreadsheet above on the night, with the names of each new AFLW player. (I still need to add the player names columns but it'll be there!)

If you would like to embed a copy of this on your board you can use the code below:
Code:
[MEDIA="googlespreadsheetnew"]1C4Rc0blxxymI5RFAacafqFRx5TebaR1K7rTTH0MfGcU[/MEDIA]

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

AFLW draft: Clubs raise draft integrity concerns with league​

AFLW clubs have raised concerns over the integrity of next week’s draft and clubs using incentives to lure top prospects.

The AFL is in talks with clubs over an alleged integrity issue surrounding next week’s AFL Women’s draft and its potential No. 1 pick.
A meeting will be held on Thursday afternoon between six Victorian clubs and the AFL in the wake of two top Victorian draft prospects nominating Sydney as their intended destination in recent days.

Potential No. 1 pick Montana Ham and fellow Victorian top prospect Sofia Hurley – two of Victoria’s most impressive young players – have nominated for the New South Wales draft pool, opting to leave their home state.

Her manager, Alex Saundry, said this week that Ham’s decision was “a university and lifestyle choice”.

Both players are expected to be taken by Sydney, which has the first five selections in the NSW pool.

It has also been alleged by Victorian clubs — which will detail their concerns to the league in the meeting — that some interstate clubs may have been offering contracts to draftees including incentives outside of their playing contract as further impetus to nominate outside of their home state.

It was an issue that was raised to the AFL Women’s competition committee in the wake of Gold Coast young gun Charlie Rowbottom’s shock call to nominate Queensland as her draft destination at the end of 2021.

But despite being aware of apparent grievances from some clubs, the league did not act.

Many clubs feel that they are not on an even playing field when it comes to drafting players, with one club insider suggesting that any such action could even constitute conduct prejudicial to the draft.

“A full pitch to draftees isn’t something you’re supposed to do,” they said.

“Then, it’s not a draft.”

The 2022 AFLW draft is set to be held on Wednesday night.

As part of the league’s integrity investigation, some prospective AFLW players and their families have been interviewed by headquarters.

It is believed that as recently as a few weeks ago, Ham – who is 17 and due to finish her Year 12 studies in coming months – had given indications that she had intentions to stay in Victoria to play.

The league runs a state-based draft, where players can only nominate one state to play in.

In the wake of the top pair’s decision, clubs revolted at both the system and the strategies some allege are being employed in players nominating outside of their home state.

“When it happened, the phones at AFL House blew up, asking what the league was going to do about it,” one club insider said.

“Some clubs traded picks to get picks inside the top 10, thinking these girls would be in Victoria.”

Border talent Zarlie Goldsworthy was on the record as recently as last month declaring that she felt Victoria would be the place for her, before pivoting to nominate New South Wales this week and could land at Greater Western Sydney.

Under the state-based draft system, players receive a $10,000 incentive if they are selected as the state’s top pick.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...e/news-story/1c032d9744534a0e828b0ebbf7e822e2
The irony of vic clubs complaining about this when it’s been their mens teams motus operandi in recruiting for decades.

hypocrites.

ToonAussie

Senior List
Aug 16, 2009
mount eliza
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NUFC: f'stonblues: DukeMBB:Warriors
The irony of vic clubs complaining about this when it’s been their mens teams motus operandi in recruiting for decades.

hypocrites.
This is about draft tampering.
The Vic clubs are not doing this.

I wonder what you're meaning?
Do you mean using "the go home factor"?

I am enjoying whatever is ailing you though.

This is about draft tampering.
The Vic clubs are not doing this.
Gonna have a hard time proving Tarni White's nomination for Victoria, to take one example, somehow falls into a different category.

Nor is it any different for Georgie Prespakis to be driving around in a brand new Ford a month before last year's draft took place. Why is it ok to entice prospects to stay in their local draft zone, but not to leave. Best believe every club is doing one or the other or both.

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Who do we think ports first four draftees will be?

Ewings a sure thing

Then 3 of

Kustermann
Borg
Boag
Duursma
Goodwin

?
I'd imagine it'd be Kustermann, Goodwin and Duursma. Goodwin is a pretty clear standout talent amongst that second list, Kustermann has the NGA connection and there's no way Port would risk the Crows taking Duursma

ToonAussie

Senior List
Aug 16, 2009
mount eliza
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NUFC: f'stonblues: DukeMBB:Warriors
Gonna have a hard time proving Tarni White's nomination for Victoria, to take one example, somehow falls into a different category.

Nor is it any different for Georgie Prespakis to be driving around in a brand new Ford a month before last year's draft took place. Why is it ok to entice prospects to stay in their local draft zone, but not to leave. Best believe every club is doing one or the other or both.
Philthy did say that the AFL-M clubs were doing the draft tampering, to which I responded.

Enticing players to stay in their own drafting zone is only a thing if you're trying to counter enticing OUT of a zone.

Philthy did then mention salary cap evasion which is another issue

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Hype train
trainwreck GIF

Enticing players to stay in their own drafting zone is only a thing if you're trying to counter enticing OUT of a zone.
Ohh so it's a "they started it" sort of thing. But who started what...

Collingwood would have never signed WA product Emma King on big money in 2016 if Victorian clubs were actually concerned about states retaining local talent.

Sep 9, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Philthy did say that the AFL-M clubs were doing the draft tampering, to which I responded.

Philthy did then mention salary cap evasion which is another issue

I said it was hypocritical of the vic clubs to complain about clubs offering incentives outside of the cap when they’ve been doing it in the mens comp.

Then I referred to Visy and Asa’s

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thunderstruck

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2003
Seaford Meadows, SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central District
The shittest live stream of all time, I've got lightning internet and forever buffering with 1-2second bits of action then get player error timeout. Be furious if I miss the draft because of this prob started now

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
The shittest live stream of all time, I've got lightning internet and forever buffering with 1-2second bits of action then get player error timeout. Be furious if I miss the draft because of this prob started now
I switched from Chrome to Firefox for the stream, has helped immensely

Remove this Banner Ad

Back