Review 2022 AFLW Draft - Winners and losers, re-do the draft, who won?

How To Watch
The 2022 NAB AFLW Draft will be broadcast live, free and exclusively on womens.afl and the AFL Women's app from 7pm on Wednesday, June 29.

Hopefully the live stream will be in here:

Have a go at tipping the first round - the winner gets a 12 month Premium Platinum membership (no ads!) Entries close before the first pick is called.
The Inaugural BigFooty Official AFLW Draft Tipping Competition

I'll update the spreadsheet above on the night, with the names of each new AFLW player. (I still need to add the player names columns but it'll be there!)

If you would like to embed a copy of this on your board you can use the code below:
Code:
[MEDIA="googlespreadsheetnew"]1C4Rc0blxxymI5RFAacafqFRx5TebaR1K7rTTH0MfGcU[/MEDIA]

Last edited:
Maybe she's this years Jaide Anthony, clearly talented enough to amateur watchers but clubs not convinced.

Or, fingers crossed, she's nominated NSW and GWS are just building suspense!
She got invited to the combine so must be a couple of clubs interested..

Thunderstruck

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2003
Seaford Meadows, SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central District
Gave up on the stream an hour ago, absolute garbage.

Super stoked to get Kustermann at 40 to the crows!! bit of a bargain I'd say.

Port cleaned up locally, couldn't have done any better.

Really hope we pick up Shelby Smith with one of our last 2 picks, she is too good for SANFLW

Alice Mitchell will be placed on the Inactive List by the Swans after injuring her ACL at training last week. They will apply for a replacement play as a result.
Good that you guys still drafted her with that considered

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
So, the two surprises for me were Octavia di Donato and Zara Hamilton not being selected. Zara put in for the Victorian pool rather than the NSW/ACT pool even though from NSW and part of the GWS Academy, so I guess I'm really stunned that she didn't get picked up as I would have presumed that she had a nod from one of the Melbourne clubs.

Anyone with any info on either of those two situations?

Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Maybe she's this years Jaide Anthony, clearly talented enough to amateur watchers but clubs not convinced.

Or, fingers crossed, she's nominated NSW and GWS are just building suspense!

no Reese Sutton, Octavia Di Donato, Emily Shepherd, Zara Hamilton, Jamie-Lee Speakman, Olivia Robinson drafted
what are your thoughts PMBangers

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
no Reese Sutton, Octavia Di Donato, Emily Shepherd, Zara Hamilton, Jamie-Lee Speakman, Olivia Robinson drafted
what are your thoughts PMBangers
Di Donato is the only one I thought was a lock really, I reckon clubs will want to see her nail one position down next year and really develop her craft in it, rather than act as a jack of all trades

HEY
The initial 2 marquee players were really "drafted" weren't they.
Marquee, draftee... seems like a distinction without a difference to me, especially since Ham is clearly both for Sydney. But using your logic, it's only bad if the player was picked up via the draft, in which case the travesty that most urgently needs to be corrected is Ruby Schleicher being enticed to turn her back on WA.

Except that all clubs were advised not to pick Melbourne's Daisy or she wouldn't play
A lot of clubs (Melbourne included) were so busy complaining to the AFL about Daisy that they let Ellie slip through their hands. Something tells me we will eventually be able to draw clear parallels between that moment to this draft just gone.

Mar 22, 2001
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Swifts, Arsenal, Ducks
True but I guess our hands were tied at the end of the day once we committed to signing her. At least it will give an opportunity to another player regardless and we stick by Alice.

Yeah correct. Once we committed, we really couldn't back out. Good news for her, even through the bad luck of the injury. I suspect the club will take a breather and see who's available who was either overlooked in the draft or is a delisted free agent. The good thing is that as a new club, we're not expected to win many games, so IMO there's really no rush to sign someone unless they spy someone who can make an ongoing impact.

Mar 22, 2001
Sydney, Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Swifts, Arsenal, Ducks
Lauren didnt look too happy that her sister got drafted.

I came on here to see if anyone had picked up on that. I thought ok maybe she was just stunned by the events, but it seemed pretty evident from the subsequent interview with the two of them that she was... unenthused.

I have two daughters and I've seen it where if one of them decides thing x is "their thing", they get a bit funny if the other sibling barges in on it. So there might be an element of that in there. It was just so awkward though - Zoe was genuinely shocked and thrilled at being called, but zero emotion from Lauren.

I'm sure they'll work it out.

petits

Team Captain
Feb 8, 2022
AFL Club
GWS
I have two daughters and I've seen it where if one of them decides thing x is "their thing", they get a bit funny if the other sibling barges in on it. So there might be an element of that in there. It was just so awkward though - Zoe was genuinely shocked and thrilled at being called, but zero emotion from Lauren.
Feel like they could have reduced it by picking Zoe later… might feel like a snub to be the one with much more footy experience (as I understand) and then have the other also be picked in the same round. Unless they thought Freo would go for her? Probably they just didn’t expect that reaction.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
True but I guess our hands were tied at the end of the day once we committed to signing her. At least it will give an opportunity to another player regardless and we stick by Alice.

Replacement player named

Back