List Mgmt. AFLW List Management, Trades, Draft, Expansion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Is she any good?

She's good but not great, and definitely replaceable. There were rumours about her going on the Port board recently, I'll quote what I posted about her there:

Justine Mules is a good player, without being an A-grader. 2022 was probably her weakest season other than 2017 (when she was a fringe player), owing mostly to a positional change. She generally plays midfield/wing, but moved to the forward line this year, both because the Crows midfield is pretty stacked already, and also because their forward line is a bit shallow. The move didn't really work, her disposal and tackle count were both well down, she only kicked two goals (she went scoreless in 11 out of 12 games) and she didn't really have many score involvements. If she came to Port I imagine she would be straight back into the midfield as a mature body. She's a great tackler and puts on heaps of pressure, and is one of the most experienced players in the comp with 49 games (53 games is the current record).

She'd almost certainly be in the lowest tier at the Crows so you could offer her tier 3 or even tier 2 first up to get her interested.

She's good but not great, and definitely replaceable. There were rumours about her going on the Port board recently, I'll quote what I posted about her there:

of our seven 3-time premiership players, shes easily the most replaceable imo.
A shame but she's the right player to lose if it means we can keep somebody else.

Phillips, Foley, now Mules. :confused:

What compensation can the Crows reasonably expect, anyone please?
None, almost certainly. And if we do get any it will be draft picks well after Port takes a bunch of early selections from the SA draft pool.

But don't stress. Foley didn't play this year and Mules is replaceable. We have quality young players like Prowse, Ballard and Tonon who need to find places in the 21 and will still likely pick up some decent players this year. We should be fine.

Last edited:
View attachment 1391991
I assume Port will nab most of these girls
5 are Draft eligible. Goody, Scholz and McKee not eligible.

I assume that Kustermann and Syme are pre drafted as Port Academy. Expansion Clubs have 2 Draft Picks each assume Ewings and Dursmaa from Vic Country to be with Brother. Assume we get to choose between Goodwin & Borg. Then Port's 3rd Pick

Back when AFLW started WA was the strongest league per capita in Australia. 7 of the original 16 marquee players came from WA. What has happened since then?
Kellie Gibson (ADE/FRE/WCE), Renee Forth (GWS/ADE), Sabrina Frederick (BRI/RIC/COL), Emma Swanson (GWS/WCE), Emma King (COL/NTH), Kiara Bowers (FRE), Kara Antonio (FRE) and Chelsea Randall (ADE). All the top end WA talent dispersed across the AFLW. Forth did an ACL. Gibson was a flop. The rest are still great players. WCE managed to lure Swanson and Gibson back. Interesting that there were no SA marquee players yet Crows absolutely dominated the league.

Maybe we should credit the SANFL for starting the SANFLW and expanded on the way to 8. That has helped the standard. With our Draft eligible girls playing seniors for at least 2 years.

Kellie Gibson (ADE/FRE/WCE), Renee Forth (GWS/ADE), Sabrina Frederick (BRI/RIC/COL), Emma Swanson (GWS/WCE), Emma King (COL/NTH), Kiara Bowers (FRE), Kara Antonio (FRE) and Chelsea Randall (ADE). All the top end WA talent dispersed across the AFLW. Forth did an ACL. Gibson was a flop. The rest are still great players. WCE managed to lure Swanson and Gibson back. Interesting that there were no SA marquee players yet Crows absolutely dominated the league.

I guess my point was that WA was strong enough back in 2016 to provide half of the marquee players in the country, so why aren't they still producing plenty of juniors of that caliber each year? Where is the next Randall, Antonio, Bowers, Swanson, etc?

The Crows really didn't dominate the league until 2019, and even then we were rubbish in 2020. We were good in 2017 but that was off the back off a small handful of very good players, of which almost none were South Australian (Marinoff, Cramey and Phillips the exceptions, and even Phillips had lived overseas for years). We got that flag in 2017 from a combination of extremely clever list building and a head coach in Bec Goddard who really understood where women's footy was at and had us playing accordingly. It only took one season for her game style to become obsolete (the lasso rule didn't help) but that was enough to jag a flag.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We got that flag in 2017 from a combination of extremely clever list building and a head coach in Bec Goddard who really understood where women's footy was at and had us playing accordingly.
I'd agree with this. I always thought that we focused on being the hardest team in the competition to start with as that didn't require the same time to build as the skills side of things. We have then managed to maintain that hard edge while building the skills and the evolution of our game plan. I'm not sure whether it was brilliantly planned or just luck but with the benefit of hindsight seems a really smart way to develop the team.

As it was guessed Crows would lose Phillips they would be happy to only lose Foley and Mules as key Port signings as you would think that at best only have 1 more key signing from Crows along with a few fringe players.

What I like
Is Port have taken replaceable players who would've been on higher wage bands.
So it's allowed us to just match the other players

Port would've been going for tier 3 players to bring into tier 2? Well, now we can bring that player up to tier 2 with Phillips going.
You wanted tier 4 players? Well, we can now put them into tier 3 with Foley and mules going.

The worry was always losing Hatchard imo. But we kept her. Keep the top together, lose a tier 2 player and a few tier threes, and you can slide everyone else up to hold the core together.

I'm not convinced that Mules would have been tier 3, though. There are, what, 14 players who are tier 3 or higher? I can think of 14 players that would be rated ahead of her.

Once they're satisfied they have enough experience, you'd think Port would start targeting the talented youth who are fringe players in the Crows side.

Newman, you got dropped for the grand final? No chance of that at Port, you'll be in the top handful of players here. Ballard and Tonon, want to play every game next year, come on over. Prowse, you were a first round draft pick? Come here and play every game and have your pick of positions.

I'm not convinced that Mules would have been tier 3, though. There are, what, 14 players who are tier 3 or higher? I can think of 14 players that would be rated ahead of her.

Once they're satisfied they have enough experience, you'd think Port would start targeting the talented youth who are fringe players in the Crows side.

Newman, you got dropped for the grand final? No chance of that at Port, you'll be in the top handful of players here. Ballard and Tonon, want to play every game next year, come on over. Prowse, you were a first round draft pick? Come here and play every game and have your pick of positions.
“… because we won’t get near it!”

She has been there from the very beginning though, which might've put her in a higher tier by default. The fact that they've named her as their next signing is good news for us, because the next signings wouldn't be as highly valued. Like, I'm sure if Ponter, Stevie-Lee or Allen were leaving, it would've been announced before Mules.

She has been there from the very beginning though, which might've put her in a higher tier by default. The fact that they've named her as their next signing is good news for us, because the next signings wouldn't be as highly valued. Like, I'm sure if Ponter, Stevie-Lee or Allen were leaving, it would've been announced before Mules.
Maybe, maybe not. They could be easing into the announcements then drop a bomb so to speak for PR value.
I hope you're right and our success keeps the players we want to stay.
We will lose a couple more I'm guessing.

Speaking of Ponter, the fact that Essendon has had such a signing frenzy is probably good news there too. Essendon seemed to be the club she was linked closest to besides ours, and they've already signed seven expansion players.

There might be ongoing negotiations with the others because we want to keep them, a bit of back and forth of offers maybe we told Mules we were happy for her to explore her options.

Interesting that all three players Port has taken so far are from the inaugural squad. Very clear strategy from them to target experience.
As expected though. And clearly aiming for ones with Finals experience to lead their young crop.

So far, aside from Phillips, they’ve got players who have been a big part of the dynasty, but are likely to be on the outer for next year (Foley and Mules).

Regarding Mules, I’m gonna miss that infectious smile of hers. You can tell she’s living the dream every time she sets foot on the footy field with the way she plays. Not our most talented for sure, but certainly one of our most ferocious.

I haven't watched West Coast much either, and she missed the match against Adelaide this year. The WC fans here on Bigfooty seem disappointed at the news so presumably they rate her.

Firewalker mentioned earlier in the threat that Niamh is fast and courageous but with sloppy skills. We could certainly use the speed. Maybe the skills would look better in a club which is firing on all cylinders?
Could be an almost like like replacement for Mules?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back