List Mgmt. AFLW List Management, Trades, Draft, Expansion Thread

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Could be an almost like like replacement for Mules?

Like I said, I haven't really watched her play, but they don't sound super similar. Mules is more of an in-and-under, tackling and pressure sort of player. Whereas it sounds like Kelly is more of a fast, line-breaking wing player.

I'm not really sure where Kelly would play in our side. Our wings are pretty set with Eloise Jones and Teah Charlton, and Nikki Gore, Hannah Munyard and Najwa Allen seem to be the preferred running defenders with Maddi Newman in the mix as well. One of them may move into the midfield to cover Phillips, I guess? Or perhaps she will replace our other resident Irishwoman in Ailish Considine who currently seems to play the role of "roams wherever she feels like and occasionally does something".

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Riley Beveridge reporting that Port are apparently likely to sign Gemma Houghton from Freo.

Which I mean, s**t, if she's happy to move to SA then we should be signing her. We need a forward to replace Phillips, and the only real incumbent on our list is Whiteley. Houghton would be a pretty big upgrade on Whiteley, she kicked 15 goals in 2021 and would have done similar this year if not for inaccuracy (9.16 in 2022).

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
Riley Beveridge reporting that Port are apparently likely to sign Gemma Houghton from Freo.

Which I mean, s**t, if she's happy to move to SA then we should be signing her. We need a forward to replace Phillips, and the only real incumbent on our list is Whiteley. Houghton would be a pretty big upgrade on Whiteley, she kicked 15 goals in 2021 and would have done similar this year if not for inaccuracy (9.16 in 2022).
Port would have more money to give her and also it's free for them to sign her we would have to trade for her

bates121

All Australian
Oct 25, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide

Well how much money has it taken her to move here? Pretty sure it will be a lot more than we could come up with.
Anyway it means one less player they take from us and it weakens a rival for us in Freo.

Caputo

All Australian
Dec 5, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well how much money has it taken her to move here? Pretty sure it will be a lot more than we could come up with.
Anyway it means one less player they take from us and it weakens a rival for us in Freo.
Not the full picture as Power can get 6 non crows as it is 14 players with max 8 from Crows. However Gemma Houghton would be a marquee

dplggr47

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Not the full picture as Power can get 6 non crows as it is 14 players with max 8 from Crows. However Gemma Houghton would be a marquee
Big signing by Port. Surprised she's leaving Freo though, unless it's much bigger money.

Ponter?

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't know. Ponter was often deepest forward (along with Woodland) whereas Phillips was more of a CHF with a license to roam. In any event, someone needs to fill that spot. I guess it might be an opportunity for someone like Prowse or Tonon to get into the side, or else Whiteley as I mentioned earlier. I'm midway through rewatching the season and I'm up to the Whiteley matches and she was decent at CHF, albeit frustratingly fumbly at times.

What I'm more fascinated with is what the Crows are going to do with the likes of Sedunary, Varnhagen, Cox and Metcalfe. All vestiges of our past, but it's not clear if any of them still fit into the side. I can't see Metcalfe getting ahead of either of McKinnon or Gould, and Varnhagen and Cox would be joining the back of a pretty long queue. As for Sedunary, she was a marginal player even back in 2017, and her focus has been elsewhere so I can't see her having improved much.

dplggr47

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors

Some Freo fans have mentioned that she's past her prime and has been a liability this year in their forward line, so they don't seem too upset by the loss.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Some Freo fans have mentioned that she's past her prime and has been a liability this year in their forward line, so they don't seem too upset by the loss.

Fair call. You can usually tell how important a player is by how upset the fans are when they leave!

I think I heard today that she was a Port fan growing up, which would have been another factor in getting her to switch clubs!

Truck25

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
As in, you have a specific player in mind, or just that generally speaking Port are expected to take one more?

I was anticipating losing six or seven players to Port so if it ends up only being four then we've probably done well.
Was speaking to a player and I asked if we are going to lose any more to Port, she told me possibly 1 more that is all. Everyone else wants to come back to Crows. No Names given

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Was speaking to a player and I asked if we are going to lose any more to Port, she told me possibly 1 more that is all. Everyone else wants to come back to Crows. No Names given

Fingers crossed you're right. Phillips is obviously a loss in the short term (she would be gone in a few years either way) but Mules can be covered, and Foley was already covered this year. If we only lose one more role player, then it's really just Phillips we need to cover to hit next season at the same strength we finished this season.

Melbourne hasn't lost anyone yet and they were only 7 points away from us in Q4 of the grand final, so we don't want to slip backwards.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
At least she finally got a flag with us after having missed the 2019 and 2021 grand final sides.

We dropped her this year, I wonder if that was playing on her mind. We made her really earn her spot back too. At Freo she might get to play as an inside mid which is where she made her name as a junior.

It's a shame to lose her but it can be covered. I'm not sure she was giving us much more in the role we had her playing than, say, Newman or even Ballard could provide anyway.

Firewalker

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Apr 20, 2009
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
At least she finally got a flag with us after having missed the 2019 and 2021 grand final sides.

We dropped her this year, I wonder if that was playing on her mind. We made her really earn her spot back too. At Freo she might get to play as an inside mid which is where she made her name as a junior.

It's a shame to lose her but it can be covered. I'm not sure she was giving us much more in the role we had her playing than, say, Newman or even Ballard could provide anyway.

Bloody shame about Gore, they were a better team this year when she was in the backlines.

Thought she was dropped unjustly this season too, had beaten all her opponents in the first 5 rounds including keeping Vescio quiet.

What happens with Dayna Cox now will be interesting, there is a hole in the side down back now as they don’t really have any other player to play on those quick small-mid sized forwards with others down back like Rajcic and N.Allen being as slow as treacle and Newman not really overly quick either nor that overly strong defensively.

Back