List Mgmt. AFLW List Management, Trades, Draft, Expansion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

when do all the changes need to have been announced? Cannot help but feel there are a few more left to go from us but don't know when they all need to be flushed out by
Still unclear. Apparently we will know the start date for next season sometime this week which hopefully means the CBA will be finalised soon. We won't know any dates for trade/draft/preseason periods until those negotiations are finished. Meanwhile the season is supposedly starting in around three months, not much time to squeeze it all in! It's all a bit of a dog's breakfast.

With the Stars Cockatoo twins going to Port Adelaide at 19 were they available to play last year but not picked up?

Sent from my MI PAD 4 using Tapatalk

Still unclear. Apparently we will know the start date for next season sometime this week which hopefully means the CBA will be finalised soon. We won't know any dates for trade/draft/preseason periods until those negotiations are finished. Meanwhile the season is supposedly starting in around three months, not much time to squeeze it all in! It's all a bit of a dog's breakfast.
Given it is the AFL running things, is anyone surprised? How that organisation manages to achieve anything is staggering at times. Can you imagine how many incompetent people are earning big dollars at AFL house?

Given it is the AFL running things, is anyone surprised? How that organisation manages to achieve anything is staggering at times. Can you imagine how many incompetent people are earning big dollars at AFL house?
Their big flaw was announcing an earlier start date on the eve of the CBA negotiations. The AFLPA would have been licking their lips knowing that the AFL just set an arbitrary deadline where they will be the only party that looks bad if it is missed.

Their big flaw was announcing an earlier start date on the eve of the CBA negotiations. The AFLPA would have been licking their lips knowing that the AFL just set an arbitrary deadline where they will be the only party that looks bad if it is missed.
As I said, how many incompetent people in that one building?

She's been a long-time Hawthorn fan and played in their VFLW side as well. Seems like it was a pretty easy decision for her to make.

I noticed Gold Coast used the 'expansion club' line when announcing Perkins departure. I wonder if Fox Footy will make a song and dance about that too?

We finally have some clarity around dates.

So far, any announced expansion signings have just been commitments, but the expansion signing period will formally begin on Tuesday May 24th and end on Friday May 27th. So by the end of next week we'll know who has left as an expansion signing.

The sign and trade period then will begin on Tuesday May 31st and end on Wednesday June 8th. So by June 8th we will know which of our players have stayed/been retained.

The draft is then on Wednesday June 29th, and preseason begins on June 13th. Finally, the season itself begins on August 25th, with a ten round season followed by a four-week finals series for the top eight clubs. No word yet on how they're going to make any kind of an equitable season when each club is only playing 10 out of 17 clubs, without even using a conference system. Presumably the AFL will do their usual thing of having the good clubs from the past season all play each other, while all the expansion clubs will play each other. This will keep matches more equitable, but will inevitably result in blowout finals while some good sides miss out.

Meant to add this earlier:
Moneyball is hearing that triple-premier Adelaide is in the box seat to secure the signature of West Coast’s medium defender Amber Ward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not super familiar with her, but she might be a replacement for Nikki Gore down back.
Probably not a Gore replacement

Amber Ward is a 20 year old 175 cm Defender who plays taller. She is another premiership player from North where she played as a Key Defender. She has played 14 games for WCE. On being drafted, she was described as a skilled locked-down defender with a powerful right foot.
Ward made her debut in the opening round of 2021 and played every game, with the WCE using her kicking coming out of the backline. This year year with the recruitment of Gooch Amber was restricted to 5 games.

It would be pretty tough to find a place in the Crows back line as a medium-tall lockdown defender, what with Allan, Rajcic, Biddell and Randall running around. Perhaps she could be a long term replacement for Rajcic who is 33 with a history of knee problems? Or maybe they will try her up forward?

I guess if nothing else she will add depth in that area. Currently we only really have Whiteley who may be required up forward.

So after a long wait we'll finally start to see official movements happening from tomorrow. Presumably Phillips, Foley and Mules will happen in short order, it will be interesting to see what other expansion signings come from our club after that.

Gore won't happen until the following week at least since she would require an actual trade. Same with anyone coming to our club.

Last edited:
Trade period starts today. How many more of our players do we think we will lose? 5?

The expectation on the AFL website was that up to 60 players could change clubs.

That would be an average of just over 4 losses per team. We've had four confirmed departures so far, so not sure how many more we'll get

I thought 8 was the maximum? Aren't we at 7?

I may be forgetting someone but we're only at 4 right now (Phillips, Foley, Mules, Gore) and only three of those are expansion signings. Technically we could lose our entire list if they all requested trades.

You may be thinking of Port who I think were up to 7 ins at one point last week.

I'm hoping it isn't many more. Surely we have locked as many up to contracts as possible.
Contracts are irrelevant when it comes to expansion signings.

Incidentally, did we ever get clarity on exactly how many expansion signings can come from one club? We're all still working on the assumption that it will be a maximum of 8 players from us (since we were previously a one-team town) but I haven't actually seen anything formally in writing yet. Did I miss a press release?

Surprisingly little movement today, unless a bunch of stuff is going to be announced at the end of the day. Only one expansion signing (Brooke Lochland moving from Bulldogs to Sydney) so far. Considering the expansion signing period is only four days long, I was expecting all of the previously announced signings to be formalised early on.

There is finally an article explaining something about how expansion signings will work, but in that classic AFL fashion it raises many more questions than it actually answers.

How many players can each club lose? Expansion rules explained

The only real concrete thing from this is that, as expected, the Crows can lose up to eight players as expansion signings. There are various categories based on where you finished on the ladder and what state you're from, as far as I can tell we're the only club that can lose up to eight players. Probably fair enough I guess.

The bigger story here though is that the AFL will take away each club's first round draft pick unless they lose "enough" players as expansion signings. But, in typical AFL fashion, they have given no real information as to what "enough" means. Apparently each player lost will be worth a certain number of points based on age, payment tier, games played, and awards won (not clear if premierships count as awards, but I'm guessing not). Then, if a club doesn't lose 28 points worth of players as expansion signings, their first round pick is taken away.

The problem is, there is no indication as to how many points a player would be worth. Is an average player worth 4 points? 6 points? 8 points? There's no real indication given. The only slight indication is a throwaway line that says "a club can reach that 28-point threshold by only losing a couple of highly rated players". So presumably the best players would be worth at least 14 points.

Would Phillips be worth 14 points? She's obviously as highly rated as they come, and has won more awards than anybody, but she's also 37 years old. What about Angela Foley? She's won several awards and played a bunch of games, where does that wash out? Are they going to use the tier the player was on at their old club, or the tier they are signed to for the expansion club? It's all as clear as mud. What about Mules - she's played 49 games (only 4 games behind Marinoff who is equal first in the league for games played) and is still only 27 years old, but doesn't have any individual awards and was likely in the bottom tier. What is that worth?

I'm going to guess that Phillips, Foley and Mules gets us close to 28 points but perhaps not quite there. That would give us an incentive to have another player or two leave.

The system also seems to be quite unfair towards the bottom teams. They also have to lose 28 points to keep their first round pick, but they are permitted to lose fewer players, and their players are likely to be worth less points than players in the top sides anyway. And their first round pick is more valuable (because it comes earlier) than that of a higher ranked team. Is there going to be some multiplier for the bottom sides, or will they suddenly be exempt? The whole thing is a bit of a dog's breakfast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back