List Mgmt. AFLW List Management, Trades, Draft, Expansion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know enough about the strength of our list, but I was sure Port would go for anyone we've got who has been developing, pushing for selection, anyone who had been in and out of the side, basically remove our top 2 or 3 players, we knew Erin, heard Anne Hatchard and were worried about a couple of others and then strip us of our depth.

Either they have a different strategy, maybe a better one or they couldn't do it.

Eitherway sounds like they'll need those first 5 picks and the rest.

Theyre gonna need all the help they can get. Their haul was pretty light and I can't see Erin playing more than 1 or 2 seasons.

Agreed. They have picked up some good players but previous expansion clubs have shown that you can't just rely on a handful of good players and a bunch of 18 year olds. No point having someone like Houghton in the forward line if your midfield gets decimated and it never goes down there.

If they're smart, they'll try to scoop up the best young talent with their five early picks, and then focus on SANFLW players in their mid 20s/free agents so they have some mature bodies in their squad.

Fortunately for us, the best SANFLW talent is too young to be taken in this draft, and next year we'll get decent access to them.

Agreed. They have picked up some good players but previous expansion clubs have shown that you can't just rely on a handful of good players and a bunch of 18 year olds. No point having someone like Houghton in the forward line if your midfield gets decimated and it never goes down there.

If they're smart, they'll try to scoop up the best young talent with their five early picks, and then focus on SANFLW players in their mid 20s/free agents so they have some mature bodies in their squad.

Fortunately for us, the best SANFLW talent is too young to be taken in this draft, and next year we'll get decent access to them.
No doubt we'll see a similar draft order next year too, there's still going to be a big gap between the top and bottom teams

What’s the story with Lauren Young? Is she tied to Port next year?

You know - The decisions the AFL is making to try and create parity. Wont work short term. And long term, will just overcompensate and change the power house teams of the league.

The 9 teams in Melbourne I feel will cannibalise each other to the point the AFL will get what they want in Victoria. NSW is no where near being ready to support 2 teams with local talent either way and will be mostly uncompetitive imho (Though, the new wage structure could really allow players to move interstate and live off their salary + a job at the club....). And Geelong/Qld is set up in a way in which nothing will change there.

But the problem is WA/SA.

Obviously Fremantle and Adelaide are considerably better NOW, and should be for a matter of years than their cross town rival.
However, by throwing so much at West Coast/Port Adelaide to become competitive. It'll give them a greater share of talent then everyone in the league.

Yes. It'll give you that desired result of letting them become competitive quicker. HOWEVER, by freezing out Freo/Adelaide from the draft. Where's their next generation going to come in? In 5-10 years, I can see both clubs falling off a cliff as the senior players who give them the edge over their rivals leave, but no new talent coming in because of decisions being made now.

And in 5-10 years. West Coast/Port Adelaide would have enough seasons to work on fitness/skills that they're up to the AFLw standard. But by having the pick of the talent in 2 states. While no other clubs does. All it's going to do is flip the powerhouses upside down. And extending the very same problem VFL house sees at the moment. Just being Port/Eagles premierships instead of Adelaide premierships.

Honestly, after this years expansion. The league should stop manipulating the drafts. Because even though it'll slow down the growth of West Coast/Port Adelaide. It stops them inadvertly creating a new juggernaut from rising out of the ashes of our dynasty.

Even if they continue this tactic for a few more years to create parity. I expect it to be late 2020s, early 2030s that we finally see it come to fruition. But by that stage, it would be too late. The league may have ****ed over 2 clubs for a decade, while creating 2 powerhouses stronger than what we're seeing now.

The crazy draft changes are just attached to the expansion this year. From next year things should be back to normal, occasional priority picks aside.
but wernt they still handing out picks last year to the basket cases?

but wernt they still handing out picks last year to the basket cases?

Those are priority picks, and those clubs really needed them (and still do). But that's quite different from stripping clubs of draft picks.

We won't have much access to talent this year, but from next year we should still get three or four of the best eight SA players or so, and beyond. And given that SA has been dominating recently in the juniors, that's a good sign.

It also helps that we already have a great range of ages on our list. Of the players who played at least one match this year (and excluding Phillips, Mules and Gore), we had six players aged 18-21, twelve players aged 22-24, three players aged 25-28, and five players ages 29 and above.

That 22-24 group in particular should set us up for a long time. There are some seriously good players in that group, including Marinoff, Allan, Hatchard, Biddell, Woodland, Martin, Jones, Gould, Ponter and Newman (with apologies to Simmons and Dowrick who are likely delistings)

Last edited:
Crows will have to give something to West Coast for Niamh Kelly as well, you’d imagine that will be forced to be pick 43.

So as well as being given first go to select a whole group of mature age players in the SANFLW, Port will also now have the first 6 SA 18 year olds… I imagine Port are going to go; Hannah Ewings, Amelie Borg, Keeley Kustermann, Sarah Goodwin, Sachi Syme and then one of Boag/Little you’d imagine.

All this really disastrously shaping up for Considine to get given another contract 😩

If we trade for Niamh Kelly then one player is required to be delisted. Dayna Cox was the only one not to play a game in Season VI. Or is it last in first out in McKenzie Dowrick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the rules of vaccinations persist, surely we don't keep Varnhagen for another season - or would she be in another category?

She wasn't considered on the list this season, which is why Dowrick was here in Varnhagen's old number.

Presumably we have the ability to add her back onto the senior list without having to go to the draft if we choose to, but I'd be surprised if we did. The vaccination issue is still live, and her recent request for a settlement was declined by the SA government so her court case is ongoing.

I'm not sure if we could keep her on the inactive list. Presumably that has to expire at some stage but I'm not sure when. Speaking of which, we also have Jess Sedunary on the inactive list due to her Olympics commitments. I assume those commitments are still active, and it's not clear to me whether Sedunary has an AFLW future anyway.

Now that Port has signed Abbey Dowrick I want us to re-sign McKenzie Dowrick. Like in the days where we had Troy Bond and they had Shane Bond.

The FIXture is probably where they'll get us.

Of the 8 teams that made up the bottom 4 from last year and the 4 new expansion teams, we'll only play one of those.

Our 10 games will be, Melbourne, Brisbane, North Melbourne, Fremantle, Collingwood, Bulldogs, Carlton, GWS, Gold Coast, and Port Power.

The FIXture is probably where they'll get us.

Of the 8 teams that made up the bottom 4 from last year and the 4 new expansion teams, we'll only play one of those.

Our 10 games will be, Melbourne, Brisbane, North Melbourne, Fremantle, Collingwood, Bulldogs, Carlton, GWS, Gold Coast, and Port Power.

I have no issue with that.

We had a similar tough draw this season, and it turned out remarkably well.

Us going through the season beating up the likes of the expansion sides, GWS and West Coast might get us in the finals, but it won't prepare us for finals.

The AFL has 7 SA girls for the Futures Match this weekend and will be eligible for 2023 Draft

Piper Window - Glenelg
Lily Whitcombe - Sturt
Timeka Cox - North Adelaide
Matilda Scholz - Glenelg
Elaine Grigg - North Adelaide
Shineah Goody - WWT
Molly Brooksby - Norwood
NT Rep - Grace Whittaker - Norwood

Whilst Lauren Young - West Adelaide recovers from ACL.

Melbourne are getting busy at the trade table, having traded out four players today (Krstel Petrevski and Isabella Simmons to West Coast, Jackie Parry and Shelley Scott to Geelong) while bringing two back in (Jordan Ivey from Geelong and Charlotte Wilson from Carlton), along with a bunch of draft picks.

All quiet on the Crows front. Presumably we'll need to trade for Niamh Kelly sometime soon?

Meanwhile Port have picked up a Ballard of their own but no relation to ours as far as I can tell. She is related to Charlie Ballard from Gold Coast though. They also took some ruck from the VFLW. They've had quite a few interstate signings so far! It will be interesting to see how many of them stick around.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back