Women's Footy 2022 AFLW Season Discussion (now Player Movement)

Remove this Banner Ad

So even our academy players are up for grabs despite Sydney having their own?

What's the point of them even having an academy if they need to steal from another clubs academy?
The process is this: If the lions are going to take them apparently you get a letter and you can nominate just for Brisbane.

Or you can nominate qld

Or you can nominate another particular state, keeping in mind the port adel coach was the lions level 3 coach

Or you can nominate for everywhere.

Keeping in mind some are first year uni, some are year 12. Hard for the year 12 kids.

6 or so played seniors last year, the other three only started this year and i would want to see how that goes.

Last edited:

Read into this what you will!
280380367_2320943201379941_9017831597803068015_n.jpg

Credit to the Girls podcast said that Grider will stay at the Lions. Orla genuinely is not sure and has gone back to Ireland, but may stay at the Lions but otherwise Carlton are the frontrunners.
It may get down to what Ellenger does. O'Dwyer, Ellenger, Davidson and Tahau are all housemates and a pretty tight unit. Certainly, Grider and Bates are in their ears about staying.

It may get down to what Ellenger does. O'Dwyer, Ellenger, Davidson and Tahau are all housemates and a pretty tight unit. Certainly, Grider and Bates are in their ears about staying.
Grider possibly the next captain. It looks like the vast majority will stay. Orla seems pretty right with the extended group, i hope she stays. Always smiling that girl.

Indy Tahu weighing up an offer from Port, according to the AFLW board.

That’ll hurt as we’re really short on key defenders. pun not intended.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I personally don't really rate Tahau so her going to port is not a loss.
With Lutkins being out for this year as well, I would think the club would be doing all they can to keep her.
I am not surprised that Port are coming after her.

I personally don't really rate Tahau so her going to port is not a loss.
Disagree, played well as taking the biggest fwd last year even though it isn't her go. She is the 2nd kpd. Would be a massive loss to the structure of the backline.

Grider is probably the next biggest but she isnt a lock down defender more the creative ball user. A bit premature for Harmer and the most likely candidate out of the academy is Hillier and she doesn't have the size at this point.

Grider - 171cm, Pullar - 173cm, Tahau - 175cm, Monahan - 174cm, Lutkins - 176cm

Pullar might have to play that tall defender role if we lose Tahau. May be we could try and find another Monahan from delisted crew.

We appear to be missing one tall, pacy defender in 2022 anyway so we have to find that player. The one who can go with Bannan or Harris or Woodland for example.

Pullar might have to play that tall defender role if we lose Tahau. May be we could try and find another Monahan from delisted crew.

We appear to be missing one tall, pacy defender in 2022 anyway so we have to find that player. The one who can go with Bannan or Harris or Woodland for example.
The two backs out of the academy in Qld side are both 175ish cm Browne and Hillier. But they are still kids, Hillier showed some good body strength against Allies and played for Maroochydore snrs last year. Has some real speed and a neat kick. Browne is similar but maybe a year away imo. Needs to work on her ball drop. Playing for Yeronga this year who are struggling a bit, so she will see plenty of it.

IMO both can make it, but ihave Hillier ahead at this point in time.

Pullar hasnt played a lot of AFL she came from soccer I think. Monaghan was very good, but she is really a 2nd kpd too.

Lutkins isnt super tall but she reads the ball coming in and she is a mature body.

Cherbourg Teen Earns Prestigious Footy Scholarship

Cherbourg teen, Christine Watson, is chasing her dream of an AFLW career through the Lions Academy thanks to the Goldman Lazarus Family Academy Scholarship.

The scholarship ensures Christine receives football boots, runners, a GPS watch and a gym membership as well as accommodation and travel expenses for this season.

Christine-Watson.png

https://www.lions.com.au/news/1123083

Christine Watson didnt play any lead up games this year, not Nth/sth/sc academy games and didnt play against the suns. She went straight into the Qld side on one of the Lions limited places. So someone rates her highly.

She is 179, good athlete, but very raw, you can tell she hasnt played a lot of footy. Playing snrs this year in Toowoomba league, so thinking the strength of that wouldn't be too high.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back