Women's Footy 2022 AFLW Season Discussion (now Player Movement)

Remove this Banner Ad

That was the vibe I got form some of the postings including your post #569.
In which case you're seeing stuff that maybe you're looking for - I don't know how you get there. I see a disputation about what would be considered "self-sustaining" - the equivalence of men's and women's pay across the two competitions didn't even cross my mind. Even the explicit mention of equal pay by another poster calls for it as a "long term goal", which is so open-ended it could even be "when AFLW rates equivalently to AFLM" which I can't see anyone realistically arguing against.

On the one hand I like the increase to the relocation allowance, but on the other, if it makes it easier for any Lion to leave.. no thanks! :p

I reserve all judgment to the new CBA pending the # of matches per season in the coming years. If that goes like we all hope, good news all around!

On the one hand I like the increase to the relocation allowance, but on the other, if it makes it easier for any Lion to leave.. no thanks! :p

I reserve all judgment to the new CBA pending the # of matches per season in the coming years. If that goes like we all hope, good news all around!
Up to how much?

Last I read in the last/current AFL cba, the men receive up to $5k for their relocation allowance.

Unfortunate that Whoosh was not re-contracted, but she seemed to have lost some pace and agility. Hopefully it was injuries etc and she can get another chance elsewhere.

Tbh I think she'd basically retired last season.

I had the impression that the lightning strike took a lot more out of her than was publicly let on. :(

Yep agreed, some of the comments on the lions instagram post are a bit nutty, you would think she hadn’t sat out the best part of the last three seasons the way people are carrying on. It is a performance based industry and we also have lutkins and Collingwood out with acl’s. The list needs to constantly evolve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep agreed, some of the comments on the lions instagram post are a bit nutty, you would think she hadn’t sat out the best part of the last three seasons the way people are carrying on. It is a performance based industry and we also have lutkins and Collingwood out with acl’s. The list needs to constantly evolve.

Yeah, there are definitely some irate supporters not happy with the club's decision.

I liked Woosh, classy ball user. I agree with the comments above however. Not sure we have the full picture from the outside but my hunch would be a combination of list turnover, post lighting woosh was sadly not the same as pre lightning woosh and two other long term injuries on the list.

The effect of the strike I imagine is hard for others to quantify and understand, perhaps woosh feels that way herself. A friend of mine was struck by lightning nearly twenty years ago and if you asked her I am positive she would tell you it still impacts her today in some ways.

Jess may feel ready to go and feel hard done by, but I doubt that is most likely considering she took an indefinite break halfway through last season (if I remember correctly).

On another note,
Is there a cap of only 3 sighnings total to exapnsion clubs from any one club?
Do Indy Tahau and Maria Malony count as two from us given that Malony apppeared to be delisted?

I liked Woosh, classy ball user. I agree with the comments above however. Not sure we have the full picture from the outside but my hunch would be a combination of list turnover, post lighting woosh was sadly not the same as pre lightning woosh and two other long term injuries on the list.

The effect of the strike I imagine is hard for others to quantify and understand, perhaps woosh feels that way herself. A friend of mine was struck by lightning nearly twenty years ago and if you asked her I am positive she would tell you it still impacts her today in some ways.

Jess may feel ready to go and feel hard done by, but I doubt that is most likely considering she took an indefinite break halfway through last season (if I remember correctly).

On another note,
Is there a cap of only 3 sighnings total to exapnsion clubs from any one club?
Do Indy Tahau and Maria Malony count as two from us given that Malony apppeared to be delisted?
The expansion free agent signing period is finished. Anything now has to be done via a trade.

Woosh was a favourite of mine (and of most others I suspect). Was and probably still is a role model for plenty of young girls with an interest in the game. A foundation player who was really a key reason we were so strong early on. Great goal and game sense, she was a one-touch player when many others struggled with skills from the outset. But like many other early stars of the competition, I feel the acceleration of development in the competition has seen others catch up and go past her. Plus, who can judge how much the lightning strike has affected her physically and mentally.

I can only wish her well in whatever she chooses to do in the future.

Is it just me or does Starcevich look a bit stupid with us keeping all our gun players?
Nope, just you.

It was very clearly a playing of the loyalty card to any players thinking about leaving.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back