Women's Footy 2022 AFLW Season Discussion (now Player Movement)

Remove this Banner Ad

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Carlton game on the Sunshine Coast this weekend postponed...

Does mention on various news outlets though that we'll be playing Western Bulldogs sometime in the future, to help make up for the lost game that was meant to be played this weekend against Carlton, as soon as it is safe and practical to do so in the current climate we live in.

Poor girls, this season is becoming a train wreck for them. Hope for few debuts, positional changes etc.

The game plan of handball chain + overlap run the ball out from backline could be bedded down as well. It looked good when we got it working against Adelaide. We also appear to struggle with it when the girls were out of breath in Q3/4 and the handball didn't go too far.

Lion_LegacyXL

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Something I've noticed while watching the games, maybe I'm wrong about this. But it seems like the broadcasters discourage the male commentators from being critical of when the players make a mistake or a poor decision in play. But the Female commentators have free reign to be critical of the play.

Round 3
EDIT: Not happening again
Gold Coast Suns vs Brisbane Lions @ Metricon Stadium
Saturday 22nd January at 6:10pm (QLD time)

Mini-review: Things can only get better after a Round 1 loss, injuries and COVID. Lions by 17 pts.

Last edited:

Cancelled again for us.
Looks like we will be playing Carlton on Tuesday night instead for our Round 3 clash (second match for us):

"The Brisbane Lions will now host Carlton at Metricon Stadium on Tuesday, January 25 at 7:10pm AEDT (6:10pm local) and the AFL continues to work closely with both the Western Bulldogs and the Gold Coast Suns on fixturing arrangements for those two clubs".

"As a result, we have updated the Round Three fixture which sees two matches not proceeding as planned with the Brisbane Lions to meet Carlton on Tuesday night at Metricon Stadium. This is the earliest possible time the Brisbane Lions are able to play ensuring the health and safety of their list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Something I've noticed while watching the games, maybe I'm wrong about this. But it seems like the broadcasters discourage the male commentators from being critical of when the players make a mistake or a poor decision in play. But the Female commentators have free reign to be critical of the play.
Probably a bit less of a mate's culture built up around commentary in a new league. I'm sure there used to be harsher commentary 20+ years ago, but these days they're too worried about pissing off players and possibly getting a cold shoulder to BT or less access, etc.

On the quiet

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Interesting comment from Lions AFLW coach, regarding accelerating the professionalism of the women's comp: and essentially are the men willing to sacrifice some coin.

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
Interesting comment from Lions AFLW coach, regarding accelerating the professionalism of the women's comp: and essentially are the men willing to sacrifice some coin.

The men don't have to sacrifice coin because the AFL has plenty of cash. Why they won't just give the women's league a financial boost is beyond me.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
The men don't have to sacrifice coin because the AFL has plenty of cash. Why they won't just give the women's league a financial boost is beyond me.
The AFL doesn’t have plenty of cash. In fact, the AFL is currently in debt.

Maybe the past two years have escaped your attention, with clubs cutting off field and playing staff, the league taking a $300m overdraft, and clubs like the Lions having to give the AFL their weekly expenditure for approval from the AFL.

As a club we can’t spend a cent, without direct approval from the AFL. And that goes for the majority of clubs in the league.

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
The AFL doesn’t have plenty of cash. In fact, the AFL is currently in debt.

Maybe the past two years have escaped your attention, with clubs cutting off field and playing staff, the league taking a $300m overdraft, and clubs like the Lions having to give the AFL their weekly expenditure for approval from the AFL.

As a club we can’t spend a cent, without direct approval from the AFL. And that goes for the majority of clubs in the league.

Wasn't it a $500m overdraft? Some of that can definitely go the AFLW's way.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
That’s not sustainable then.

Bigger. I’m not sure how much the AFL has borrowed, but it had a $600m line of credit.

On the quiet

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not sure but I think the AFL borrowed against their assets. Obviously the last two years has had an impact on AFL revenue. Whilst i am not against the very top tier male players taking a minor pay cut to help develop the AFLW, I am not convinced in the short term that the league can attract enough revenue for the AFLW to be professional.

Where is the correct schedule for the AFLW? The summer is not ideal. Playing in the winter will be cannibalized by the AFL. Perhaps with more AFLW clubs, the female competition can play at the same grounds as the men. AFLW play curtain raisers for AFL matches.

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
That’s not sustainable then.

Bigger. I’m not sure how much the AFL has borrowed, but it had a $600m line of credit.

What's not sustainable? The AFL already pour massive cash into the likes of the suns and they don't seem to want to put an end to that. Your arguments do not convince me that the AFL can't put more cash into the AFLW.

LionsMaw

Bears/Lions hybrid
Oct 6, 2018
'TERF'ville
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
women
Not sure but I think the AFL borrowed against their assets. Obviously the last two years has had an impact on AFL revenue. Whilst i am not against the very top tier male players taking a minor pay cut to help develop the AFLW, I am not convinced in the short term that the league can attract enough revenue for the AFLW to be professional.

Where is the correct schedule for the AFLW? The summer is not ideal. Playing in the winter will be cannibalized by the AFL. Perhaps with more AFLW clubs, the female competition can play at the same grounds as the men. AFLW play curtain raisers for AFL matches.

I don't think the men need to take any pay cut. The AFL will always make money.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What's not sustainable? The AFL already pour massive cash into the likes of the suns and they don't seem to want to put an end to that. Your arguments do not convince me that the AFL can't put more cash into the AFLW.
A big difference in pouring money into Suns and GWS which resulted in a much bigger media revenue deal
So pretty much paying for itself not to mention growing the game for the future

However when you get a big line of credit and use most of it to keep the game afloat that debt does not indirectly pay for itself
It has to be repaid. How the AFL do that is sort of mentioned in the above article. So less to clubs & more to banks to repay debt but no timeframe
We still have 2022 to get through yet, and if things go sideways they may have to borrow more from that line of credit

Personally i thing this AFL year will right itself by March but i could be wrong

On the quiet

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A big difference in pouring money into Suns and GWS which resulted in a much bigger media revenue deal
So pretty much paying for itself not to mention growing the game for the future

However when you get a big line of credit and use most of it to keep the game afloat that debt does not indirectly pay for itself
It has to be repaid. How the AFL do that is sort of mentioned in the above article. So less to clubs & more to banks to repay debt but no timeframe
We still have 2022 to get through yet, and if things go sideways they may have to borrow more from that line of credit

Personally i thing this AFL year will right itself by March but i could be wrong
I hope you are correct about March but the WA premier has thrown a curve ball with the continuation of the border restrictions. I hope it is only the early part of the AFL season that is affected. But you would have to think West Coast Eagles players will resist moving (even short term) to one of the eastern states, if WA borders are still closed come the start of the season.

Unfortunately for the AFLW they are trying to build a brand that will be attractive to sponsors and to spectators during COVID. I would like to see in a few years the AFLW players be paid at least similar to the Super netball players. I believe that is realistic and will hopefully lead to a better product and eventually a semi professional/professional league, playing curtain raisers before the AFL games.

Interestingly the QRL is paying its female state of origin league players the same as the men this year around $50K for the 3 matches. When you consider that the women play at Nth Sydney oval and Kawana Oval and attract crowds of around 10K, the men consistently attract crowds of of 50K at Suncorp, 80,000 in Sydney and sell games interstate eg MCG, Optus, and well as TV audiences over a million viewers, this is an interesting development by the QRL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back