Women's Footy 2022 AFLW Season Discussion (now Player Movement)

Round 1 is only a few days away, so I thought that it's time to move on from the preseason thread!

Adelaide Crows vs Brisbane Lions Flinders University Stadium, SA

Date and time: Sunday 9th January at 1:40pm in SA, 1.10pm in QLD, 2:10pm in VIC, NSW, ACT and TAS, 11.10am in WA and 12.40pm in NT (so many time zones).

Viewing options: In Brisbane and Adelaide, you can watch on 7Mate, everywhere else can watch on Fox, Kayo or via the AFLW App.

Game info:
Microreview: Lions have almost a full list to pick from and won their practice match against the Suns easily. Crows have several players fitter than last years GF, but haven't played an external practice match. Probably will be a close game but if our defence holds up like the GF last year, Lions to win by 11 pts.

Lazza16

The Lions Women...roaring into 2023
Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Watching the season opener. One wonders why they would play 7ish vs 8ish when they could have 1 vs 2? Get the public hungry from the start with a showcase of talent.

Watching the season opener. One wonders why they would play 7ish vs 8ish when they could have 1 vs 2? Get the public hungry from the start with a showcase of talent.

Couple of the traditional clubs, at a picture perfect sububan ground. No problemo for me.

Apart from the fact if it is in Melbourne , with the logistics of assembling the broadcast crew etc, they had choices if a club is ruled out due to covid. Bit hard to do with Adelaide v Brisbane.

1641624772575.png

Lazza16

Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Interesting to see Smith as first ruck with Hickie on the pine. I like Hickie dropping back to help out our backline where we really don't have a tall.

As usual, the Ladies will be grossly underestimated
The bookies have us equal second favourites this time round which is better than other years but unusual that the reigning champs, with almost a full squad returning, aren't outright favourites.

Watched the other games, skill level has gone up. Small sample set so far but field kicking looks sharper and more marks are coming through. Bulldogs vs Demons game had a lot of these. Looks like a promising season on cards. Go Lionesses, bring it home back 2 back !!

Watched the other games, skill level has gone up. Small sample set so far but field kicking looks sharper and more marks are coming through. Bulldogs vs Demons game had a lot of these. Looks like a promising season on cards. Go Lionesses, bring it home back 2 back !!
Yeah, I thought that in the first half of last night's game. It felt like a marked step up from previous years and, Melbourne in particular, were looking for 45 kicks that perhaps this league hasn't tried to bite off yet all that often. I think though that as fatigue set in, both started missing targets more. Consequently, the game became a (highly competitive) scrap.

Melbourne are the bookies favourites - I think they'll be right up there but I didn't see anything that makes them stand out in the pack. The Dogs were undermanned and lost a gun to injury. Harris is not such a difference maker to elevate Melbourne IMO.

archangel1979au

Team Captain
Oct 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Only watched a couple games so far (eagles, dockers, tigers ,etc).

I thought skills had gone backwards to be honest. Lot of rushed forward kicks straight to opposition. Miss kicks with no pressure.

Wondering if it is due to more teams and less spread of experience.

Did see some ripper marks but overall I think a step back.

Maybe first time rust as well.

Hopefully next few rounds skills pick-up.

Love the endeavour and passion you can't question that though.

Just my 2 cents.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So, three ACL's in the first round of AFLW
Hope that is the last for the season but unlikely

I wonder if Kate will think of retiring. Turns 34 in May
Usually a round 1 ACL will have you back next year
However the season was supposed to start in December and may go back to that month next year.
So, less recovery time but doable

Two good key position players down will stretch our squad depth but opportunities for others to step up.
Need a win next week to even the ledger and get a positive vibe in the playing group

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Really hope Zimmy Farquharson gets a run up forward.

No idea who we play back. Not sure if we have another genuine tall defender to rotate in to the team.

I'd say Webb will come back in for Lutkins (fitness pending). Not like for like but the tallest and most experienced reserve back we have.

Lazza16

Jul 7, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Really hope Zimmy Farquharson gets a run up forward.

No idea who we play back. Not sure if we have another genuine tall defender to rotate in to the team.
Perhaps Hickie down back n Webb forward....Fatquahason was a bit special against Suns so maybe more ready than Webb whom might need some more match condition training.

Back