2022 All Aus Predictions and Rolling teams

Remove this Banner Ad

This has to be the year McCluggage Finally gets recognition surely
Might want to let the umpires know as well. His lack of Brownlow votes last year was quite ridiculous.

I think he has to get more midfield minutes to make the side. That period he stormed to the top (from memory) of the coaches votes last year was largely due to more opportunities with Neale injured. What will work in his favour, and has done for Walsh, is that he is generally accepted across the league as a genuine winger. So if those midfield minutes present themselves and he takes advantage, selectors can pick him on the wing, regardless of how much time he actually spends there. Unfortunately/ fortunately I don't see him spending more than about 30-40% of his time on the ball, with what is becoming a very deep midfield group at the Lions. Doesn't hurt the Lions, but might make it hard for him to get that spot on the AA team.

Might want to let the umpires know as well. His lack of Brownlow votes last year was quite ridiculous.

I think he has to get more midfield minutes to make the side. That period he stormed to the top (from memory) of the coaches votes last year was largely due to more opportunities with Neale injured. What will work in his favour, and has done for Walsh, is that he is generally accepted across the league as a genuine winger. So if those midfield minutes present themselves and he takes advantage, selectors can pick him on the wing, regardless of how much time he actually spends there. Unfortunately/ fortunately I don't see him spending more than about 30-40% of his time on the ball, with what is becoming a very deep midfield group at the Lions. Doesn't hurt the Lions, but might make it hard for him to get that spot on the AA team.
Really I think if he turned his goal kicking around to be 20 goals 10 instead of the 10 goals 20 he has kicked the last couple of years it would make the difference. Being the guy that goal kicking mid would make the difference. And he puts him self into the right position to take 30 to 40 shots a year

My predicted 2022 All Australian team:

B: Tom Stewart, Steven May, James Sicily
HB: Callum Mills, Harris Andrews, Rory Laird
C: Jack Macrae, Clayton Oliver, Lachie Neale
HF: Marcus Bontempelli, Jeremy Cameron, Dustin Martin
F: Charlie Cameron, Harry McKay, Bayley Fritsch
R: Sean Darcy, Christian Petracca, Jack Steele
I: Max Gawn, Tom Mitchell, Ollie Wines, Touk Miller

Controversies: Why was Laird picked on a HBF when he has played midfield all year? Similar questions arise about Bontempelli and Mills but they at least spent (small) portions of time forward and back respectively.
Should Darcy be first ruck when he only played 18 games (in a non-finals side) compared to Max's 22 in a top 2 side? Most say yes cos he beat Max 1 on 1 and was more damaging.
Was Dusty a reputation selection? A few young players had as good a year and actually play on the half forward flank. North fans in particular are outraged Tarryn Thomas was overlooked (though nobody really agrees with them)
Why is Neale on a wing instead of a real winger like team mate McLuggage?
Was Steven May selected just because his team conceded the fewest points. Several bottom 10 teams had full backs play at least as well with far less support - Weitering and Moore of particular note.
Selectors also cop heat for giving too much credence to past performances - with only 4 new selections - (Mills, Sicily, Fritsch and Darcy) the lowest on record.

Decent team.

A tad surprised with a Walsh omission, perhaps thats on the back of missing some early games due to injury

Smokies to make the 40 man squad, Zac Bailey and Trent Rivers

FB: Lever May N/A
HB: Salem N/A N/A
C: N/A N/A N/A
HF: N/A N/A N/A
FF: Pickett B. Brown Fritsch (if they nudge the Coleman again)
RUC: Gawn Petracca Oliver

INT: N/A N/A N/A N/A

I would say Langdon but we all know AA never picks actual wingers where they're supposed to be.

So 5 minimum probably, but up to 9 possibilities in my eyes.
I think we had 9 in 2007 and our 2009 premiership side had around 17 men who were or later became AA players. It’s not impossible even though you’re being cocky.

This has to be the year McCluggage Finally gets recognition surely
One of the absolute top few players in the league when he's at his best IMO. Just needs more consistency. Probably needs to start spending a bit more time in the middle rather than on the wing.

I would like to see the great wingers in the conversation, but the Brownlow is getting further and further away unfortunately

Decent team.

A tad surprised with a Walsh omission, perhaps thats on the back of missing some early games due to injury

Smokies to make the 40 man squad, Zac Bailey and Trent Rivers
Yes, if not for injury- Walsh would have been one of the first names I pencilled in. I understand he is likely to miss a month which can still see you selected for basically any position, except for the midfield where competition is always the strongest. Not to mention it's a nasty injury so he may not be as dominant from his first game back.

Haven’t seen Dangerfield in many teams, I get the new breed is more exciting than the old guard but Danger seems to have his zip and explosiveness back this season after multiple back/groin/ankle injuries last year.

Danger, Dusty and Fyfe may not be as glamorous as Walsh, Bailey Smith etc these days but there’s no reason to think they won’t be back to their best especially after all three had severely interrupted 2021s.

Predicted Team:
B: Tom Stewart - Jacob Weitering - Sam Taylor
HB: Andrew McGrath - Darcy Moore - Lachie Whitfield
C: Jack Macrae - Clayton Oliver - Hugh McCluggage
HF: Dustin Martin - Jeremy Cameron - Marcus Bontempelli
F: Zac Bailey - Joe Daniher - Dylan Moore
R: Brodie Grundy - Jack Steele - Sam Walsh
I/C: Christian Petracca - Callum Mills - Andrew Brayshaw - Isaac Heeney

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It also means you won’t be very good.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This is a bit of a yes and no answer.

Using the Gawn & Jackson combination from above. You could have the dominant ruck combination, but neither be in the best 2 rucks for the year.

You could have a combination of 4 midfielders that have driven your midfield, but none being in the elite category.

This is a bit of a yes and no answer.

Using the Gawn & Jackson combination from above. You could have the dominant ruck combination, but neither be in the best 2 rucks for the year.

You could have a combination of 4 midfielders that have driven your midfield, but none being in the elite category.
Bottom 6 teams often struggle to get any, finalists usually get at least 1 and top 4 teams usually get 3+. Doesn't mean the players have actually been any better but the recognition follows the wins.

Goal kickers might be the position where it's healthier to spread it around and avoid individual recognition, but there are still more goals to go around in a winning side than a losing side.

Defenders who rely on big stats can do better in losing sides too, but defenders that intercept or lock down get a lot more recognition when the ball is coming in high and slow.

Every year there's more good midfielders than positions available and ladder position is absolutely a big factor in who gets rewarded. Maybe not quite as much as name recognition but it's up there.

If Freo make finals I'd be very surprised if they don't get 1-2 mids (including Darcy) and quite possibly 1 defender too.

On exposed form we’ve got 4 players that would be relatively short odds to make the squad ahead of other Hawks if they play majority of games, but making the team is another thing.

CJ, Sicily, Mitchell and Breust.

On exposed form we’ve got 4 players that would be relatively short odds to make the squad ahead of other Hawks if they play majority of games, but making the team is another thing.

CJ, Sicily, Mitchell and Breust.

Think if Hawthorn have a good year, OMeara is going to be a big reason. No idea how his pre season has been, I've deliberately taken a break from all footy till it starts

There's going to be ~80 disappointed players going by the 100+ already mentioned in this thread. Some of these predictions (and "locks") are ridiculous.

How often does a bottom 10 team have 2+ selections?
There’s currently no bottom 10 teams.

Until games are actually played these are just wild predictions and hypotheticals.

Think if Hawthorn have a good year, OMeara is going to be a big reason. No idea how his pre season has been, I've deliberately taken a break from all footy till it starts
He'll need to improve out of sight given his performance on Friday.

There’s currently no bottom 10 teams.

Until games are actually played these are just wild predictions and hypotheticals.
After the first lot of practice games there are certainty a handful of teams that are a lock for the bottom 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back