2022 All Aus Predictions and Rolling teams

Remove this Banner Ad

Brayshaw and Serong could, but would be hard work with quite some improvement needed to get a midfield gig.

Fyfe getting through the season injury free surely would be in the mix as well. Walters probably only when he gets back to his dangerous best as forward.

Ryan could get back to AA as well. Find it hard atm to come to an conclusions why he was close to a lock in 2020 and not even in the mix last year. Somehow his games hasn't changed that much from my current memory.

Darcy looks in a good position as well. But there is only 1 (perhaps 2) ruck spots.

Dunkley, Bailey Smith, Treloar & Naughton the possibles for the Bulldogs from those who haven't made the team before. A bit more of a stretch but Alex Keath has been building and has potential to go next level.

In reality Naughton is probably the best chance.

Jack Henry to make the squad of 40, and Jez Cameron to make the AA team. Tom Stewart could do it again, but that would be ridiculous if he managed a 4th in his short tenure - especially given the sheer quality of elite defenders in the comp that's growing year on year.

I think Nick Larkey is our best shot at making the 40 especially considering his second half alongside Jy Simpkin (since I expect no one to get close to the b22), other outside chances are Tarryn Thomas and LDU

I think Tarryn Thomas from North will give it a red hot crack this year.

His second half of 2021 was pretty bloody good. Keep that up for the full season and he will be close.

Sean Darcy will be AA ruck, that’s a lock. 🔒

From Ports? If Zak Butters gets a clean run with injuries and more midfield minutes he should hopefully squeeze into the 22.

If Mitch Georgiades also continues to improve at the rate he did last year he will also put his hand up.

Barring injury
Fyfe Darcy and Pearce lock them in.
Brayshaw Ryan to make squad

There's a zillion defenders no way is Pearce a lock, he's in a bunch of about 20-30. Darcy if injury free I agree, it's him or Nic Nat really. Fyfe is a jet, if fit he's there and starting centreman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wines looks in the best shape of his career. Whilst midfield can be hard to crack. Can’t see him falling away too much from his Brownlow year

Also and this is a big thing in the midfield, once you are in the side the first time it's harder to get out. Only needs to relatively be repeating his stats and he's in. It's the way these sides work.

Also and this is a big thing in the midfield, once you are in the side the first time it's harder to get out. Only needs to relatively be repeating his stats and he's in. It's the way these sides work.
I agree with this but I hate it with a passion.

Horne-Francis and daicos should have just as much chance as wines and bont.

If he's fit again Dusty Martin is a pretty solid bet on the HFF, his mid/forward position he'd still be in the top handful of players in the AFL.

Smokies as defenders are always Grimes and Vlastuin, who will be around the squad level.

Riewoldt is probably getting past it unfortunately, but Lynch would be a breakout smokey.

From the midfield, the only real breakout contender is Shai Bolton, who looks on the cusp of joining that level.

A few other squad smokies like Prestia, Short, Baker.

We aren't really a highly representative AA team even when we were at our best, beyond Dusty of course.

For the lions the following would be potential chances (too many from one club but I think they all have the credentials to make it if things fall their way):
Backs: Harris Andrews and Rich - (lot of competition but as previous members they could be there abouts)
Mids: Neale, McCluggage and maybe Lyons - all there abouts the last 2 years and squad selection is definitely an option
Forwards: Cameron, McCarthy and maybe Danniher. Their goal scoring records are not too far away to be in contention if they play a full year

My predicted 2022 All Australian team:

B: Tom Stewart, Steven May, James Sicily
HB: Callum Mills, Harris Andrews, Rory Laird
C: Jack Macrae, Clayton Oliver, Lachie Neale
HF: Marcus Bontempelli, Jeremy Cameron, Dustin Martin
F: Charlie Cameron, Harry McKay, Bayley Fritsch
R: Sean Darcy, Christian Petracca, Jack Steele
I: Max Gawn, Tom Mitchell, Ollie Wines, Touk Miller

Controversies: Why was Laird picked on a HBF when he has played midfield all year? Similar questions arise about Bontempelli and Mills but they at least spent (small) portions of time forward and back respectively.
Should Darcy be first ruck when he only played 18 games (in a non-finals side) compared to Max's 22 in a top 2 side? Most say yes cos he beat Max 1 on 1 and was more damaging.
Was Dusty a reputation selection? A few young players had as good a year and actually play on the half forward flank. North fans in particular are outraged Tarryn Thomas was overlooked (though nobody really agrees with them)
Why is Neale on a wing instead of a real winger like team mate McLuggage?
Was Steven May selected just because his team conceded the fewest points. Several bottom 10 teams had full backs play at least as well with far less support - Weitering and Moore of particular note.
Selectors also cop heat for giving too much credence to past performances - with only 4 new selections - (Mills, Sicily, Fritsch and Darcy) the lowest on record.

Last edited:
You can lock Jake Lever in to be picked again. Will break his own all time season intercept record. Think it’s very unlikely Maxy will get in again, or May.

Trac and Oliver won’t have to do a lot as midfielders, honestly barely means anything if you get picked on the bench as a midfielder now.

Kossie Pickett the bolter from the Dees. Would love to see either of Salem or Rivers break the HBF logjam, or Fritsch to get some reward (but he’d need to either come top 3 in the comp goal kicking or set up a lot more goals I think). BBB similar.

Cameron Zurhaar to make the squad for mine

From the Suns, Touk Miller will be around the mark again.

Wil Powell will be one that may look to push his way into that squad of 40.

If McGovern, Yeo and Ryan are anywhere near it we’ll be having a decent season
Contemplating McGovern being a five times All Australian be like
BelovedFearlessGlowworm-max-1mb.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back