2022 All Aus Predictions and Rolling teams

Remove this Banner Ad

There is literally zero chance that Walsh and Cripps are both in the top three of the brownlow at the moment.

Curnow, Docherty, Walsh and Cripps are all in my team currently, but Weitering is next to no chance at this stage. I'd also have Dawson and Angus Brayshaw ahead of Saad.
I've got Saad as the most deserving Carlton player for the team. Very different player to Doc. While Doc wins more of the footy, I'd have Saad a hair in front. Damaging with the ball, excellent defensively, more valuable in the zone defence (covers more ground than most with his reading of the play and closing speed, plus solid overhead). Not to mention he's probably the best 1v1 player in the team, especially when the ball hits the deck.

Curnow in the team due to goals kicked. Was kicking more goals when McKay was out of the side. In trouble if Cameron/Lynch overtake him in the backend of the season.

Cripps great start but lagging since. Probably in by a whisker but drops out unless he has a major form reversal. Walsh the opposite - borderline atm but will be a lock by season's end if he stays fit.

If Weiters is back this week, he's still a chance for the team (would need a huge backend of the season). He had a very slow start to the season and with games missed not sure it'd be wholly deserving but he was excellent before injury and it hasn't been the best season for key backs.

Carlton could arguably have 6 AA this year.

Weitering probably still a chance with the Stewart suspension.
Walsh probably top 3 Brownlow right now.
Cripps the same.
Saad and Docherty could both be HBFers. I can’t see anyone else other than Sinclair.
Curnow leading the Coleman.

Weitering now less likely, unless he is back and dominating again as soon as this week.

The other 5 big chances, probably unlikely they all make it unless we only drop a game or so from here and finish top 2.

Can’t see them giving 5-6 AAs to a team which isn’t seen as outstanding.

Also if we managed to win 7 or 8 of 8 it would mean those players are all playing unbelievably well.

All things being equal and we finish where we are now (5th) I’d say we end up with 3 in the AA team.

I've got Saad as the most deserving Carlton player for the team. Very different player to Doc. While Doc wins more of the footy, I'd have Saad a hair in front. Damaging with the ball, excellent defensively, more valuable in the zone defence (covers more ground than most with his reading of the play and closing speed, plus solid overhead). Not to mention he's probably the best 1v1 player in the team, especially when the ball hits the deck.

Curnow in the team due to goals kicked. Was kicking more goals when McKay was out of the side. In trouble if Cameron/Lynch overtake him in the backend of the season.

Cripps great start but lagging since. Probably in by a whisker but drops out unless he has a major form reversal. Walsh the opposite - borderline atm but will be a lock by season's end if he stays fit.

If Weiters is back this week, he's still a chance for the team (would need a huge backend of the season). He had a very slow start to the season and with games missed not sure it'd be wholly deserving but he was excellent before injury and it hasn't been the best season for key backs.

If Pitt comes back soon, Cripps does less ruck work and hopefully goes back to his dominating r1-6 best.

Melbourne contingent post round 15:

Gawn - yes (missed one game only and beats Witts in virtually every category except hitouts)
Oliver - yes
Petracca - yes (back polling coaches votes and no.6 in the award)
May - yes

Langdon - no
Brayshaw - no (others ahead)
Fritsch - no (not AA40)

Four chances at this stage. If Brayshaw has a strong final third of the year he's a maybe, but I doubt it.

I have Stengle over Bolton at this point in time (greater scoreboard impact etc)

Jack Crisp is having a career best season and should be rewarded with an AA Spot.
Bolton is 4th for score involvements and Stengle is 15th.

Hmm yeah I don't know. It is hard to judge a utility - is Baker better than the other mids? Or better than the other backs? Etc.

Bolton is a forward so that makes it easy for the selectors.

Yeah agree it makes it very difficult to judge and likely no matter how good he has been in totality at best you would think he could only earn a bench spot. he's probably not quite there yet anyway but if he finishes the season how he has been going will be an interesting watch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stengle has kicked more goals.

So the argument for having Hawkins in over so many years because of how many score involvements and goal assists he gets has no merit?

Or is it an argument you can use for Geelong players but not for others?

Would you go for the small forward with 28 goals, 19 goal assists, or the small forward with 36 goals and 6 goal assists?

Speak up chum, with what do you disagree ? Progressive Aggresion
Ang. Brayshaw's work has been fantastic across half back and should not go unnoticed in the final team.

Petracca hasn't done enough for me. Most of his votes came earlier in the year & is a front runner similar to Bont. If i'm leaving Cripps out of my 22 than i ain't sticking Trac in there either. Definitely a 40 man squad worthy player, but not 22 for me.

Mills, Miller, Walsh, And. Brayshaw, Neale, Oliver, Green, Crisp > Trac for midfield.

Bolton, Steengle, Charl. Cameron > Trac for half forward (And I'd still argue strong for Zac Bailey & Isaac Heeney too)

Ang. Brayshaw's work has been fantastic across half back and should not go unnoticed in the final team.

Petracca hasn't done enough for me. Most of his votes came earlier in the year & is a front runner similar to Bont. If i'm leaving Cripps out of my 22 than i ain't sticking Trac in there either. Definitely a 40 man squad worthy player, but not 22 for me.

Mills, Miller, Walsh, And. Brayshaw, Neale, Oliver, Green, Crisp > Trac for midfield.

Bolton, Steengle, Charl. Cameron > Trac for half forward (And I'd still argue strong for Zac Bailey & Isaac Heeney too)
Brayshaw won't make it.

Petracca polled coaches votes in rounds 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10. And again in round 15. When you add rounds 1 and 2 he's received votes by the coaches in 9 of his 14 games played. There's a reason he's coming 6th in the coaches votes.

He's also no.1 in the league for inside 50s, goal assists and he's had the most score involvements.

He averages more disposals than Mills, Crisp, and Green and kicked more goals than Mills and Crisp.

Thanks for elaborating. You're speaking drivel.

This guy gets it, 100% spot on

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nobody mentioning any Collingwood players for AA team, in spite of being 7th and just one game behind Carlton, et al.
As we obviously don't have any good players, Craig McRae deserves to be AA coach.

Stengle has kicked more goals.
Bolton is better... Richmond's best player this year... /story

Stengle is the "bolter" who has got under the guard of opposition defences who are primarily concerned with stopping Hawkins and Cameron.

I know All Aus is a reward for single seasons, but I hate seeing flash-in-the-pan types being rewarded for a break-out year (unless they're having an UNBELIEVABLE year and cannot be denied.) Let's see how Stengle goes once opponents have worked him out.

It took Eddie, Breust, Cyril, Charlie and Milney a number of stellar seasons before they finally got the nod from AA selectors.

Nobody mentioning any Collingwood players for AA team, in spite of being 7th and just one game behind Carlton, et al.
As we obviously don't have any good players, Craig McRae deserves to be AA coach.

Crisp is a certain selection probably off the bench but he's there in some shape or form

A lot of players have great seasons when they're 'on the up'

The trick is to maintain that good form once your opponents recognise you're a good player and they put time into stopping you

Example: Jake Lever had a tremendous break out season for the Crows back in 2016 before he signed with Melbourne. But it would've been a crock for the AA selectors to pick him in the back pocket because he basically got under the guard of opposition coaches and was allowed to freewheel in defence and pick off intercept marks at his leisure.

His 2021 AA season was FAR better because everyone knew who he was; they knew how important he was to Melbourne's defence and they did everything they could to drag him away and limit his influence. Despite that, Lever was still able to produce the goods every week.

There should be no question marks about anyone in the All Australian team. This is supposed to be the BEST 22, remember?
Part of that includes recognition & acknowledgement by the opposition throughout the season.

Shai Bolton is absolutely one of Richmond's prime movers in 2022. His name comes up at opposition selection meetings as they talk about how to stop him, who to play on him, etc. More so than Tyson Stengle for the Cats.

Last edited:

Crisp has been mentioned in this thread. Otherwise it has been a fairly even contribution from Pies players. Tell us who from that side should be in the AA calculations?

Brayshaw won't make it.

Petracca polled coaches votes in rounds 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10. And again in round 15. When you add rounds 1 and 2 he's received votes by the coaches in 9 of his 14 games played. There's a reason he's coming 6th in the coaches votes.

He's also no.1 in the league for inside 50s, goal assists and he's had the most score involvements.

He averages more disposals than Mills, Crisp, and Green and kicked more goals than Mills and Crisp.

Thanks for elaborating. You're speaking drivel.
Brayshaw's consistency stands out more to me than that of Marcus Adams, who is another candidate stiff to miss my team. Extremely impressive marking numbers to pair with that comparison too.

I don't think coaches votes automatically assign you an AA jacket. Rory Laird was top 10 in 2021 & Zach Merett was top 10 in 2020, but neither players made the final teams in those respective seasons.

Petracca's vote polling games (Up until last week) have also all come against weaker opposition sides, and even after Thursday's thumping of Brisbane I'm still not personally convinced. First 2 rounds were elite and since then has only chimed in against some of the weaker bottom 10 teams. Cripps starting to face a similar challenge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back