2022 All Aus Predictions and Rolling teams

Remove this Banner Ad

4tone

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Back on topic, Collingwood are one choke against Geelong off being outright top, yet I can't think of a single player that would make the 22. Even the 40 you'd need to stretch it a bit. Would be a very long time since that's happened.
Ridiculous comment. Are you aware NBuckley is a selector this year. He isn't a fool. Pies will represent a fair chuck of the 22. I very much doubt he reads the dribble on here.

Romeoh1

Premiership Player
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
This is a good comment. The previous poster's take was pretty average.

I can't speak too much for Docherty but Sinclair has actually become really good defensively in his own right. Sure he never plays the lockdown role but at the same time he rarely loses a one-on-one, never drops a mark and under pressure, always helps out his teammates, and his hands below his knees and phone booth work are as clean as anyone in the game.

I would bet Docherty is doing much more than just padding his stats sheet as well.
Sinclair has been terrific - you haven’t been watching if you don’t realise that.

Genuinely Brayden Maynard. The quintessential medium defender
Love Maynard as a player, but they have never and will never include players like him or Hardwick from the Hawks in the AA side. They'll have 4 intercepting and rebounding defenders and 2 key defenders, as they always do.

Edit: or an overflow spot for a mid or two.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hardwick has beat every single small forward this year. Should make squad at least.
Small defenders who defend have never been well represented in the All Australian team or squad
Off the top of my head: Nick Smith from the Swans. I can't think of anyone else. [edit: Brad Sheppard, thanks hawkman]

AA selectors have always had a big hard-on for selecting the running half back flankers with flashy skills and neat disposal
More of the same this year with Sinclair, Dale, Docherty, Saad, Dawson, Rioli, Daicos, etc.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Small defenders who defend have never been well represented in the All Australian team or squad
Off the top of my head: Nick Smith from the Swans. I can't think of anyone else.

AA selectors have always had a big hard-on for selecting the running half back flankers with flashy skills and neat disposal
More of the same this year with Sinclair, Dale, Docherty, Saad, Dawson, Daicos, etc.
Sheppard got in a few years ago

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Off the top of my head: Nick Smith from the Swans. I can't think of anyone else.

More of the same this year with Sinclair, Dale, Docherty, Saad, Dawson, Daicos, etc.

Genuine question not a smart Arse one - what do you think they should look at?

If I’m picking a cats team outside of Cameron and maybe Hawkins the first name I put on the team sheet is Tom Stewart even though he plays f*** all one on one football. He defends beautifully as an interceptor and a clean-up man and his ball use is as good as if not better than any of our midfielders. As good as de Koning is going or Blicavs has in the past when playing as a defender I would pick Stewart ahead of them every time.

That’s not to say I don’t love defenders who can play on an opponent and shut them out of the game but players like Scarlett, Enright and Hodge made defence more than just the art of stopping the opposition from scoring

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Genuine question not a smart Arse one - what do you think they should look at?

If I’m picking a cats team outside of Cameron and maybe Hawkins the first name I put on the team sheet is Tom Stewart even though he plays f*** all one on one football. He defends beautifully as an interceptor and a clean-up man and his ball use is as good as if not better than any of our midfielders. As good as de Koning is going or Blicavs has in the past when playing as a defender I would pick Stewart ahead of them every time.

That’s not to say I don’t love defenders who can play on an opponent and shut them out of the game but players like Scarlett, Enright and Hodge made defence more than just the art of stopping the opposition from scoring
I just think it's a shame that the defenders who defend the best are generally ignored in All Australian discussions
I think there's room for 2 or 3 "zone off" rebounding types. But they always pick 4 (with another on the bench). It's overkill.

Look at EVERY premiership team: they had defenders who could intercept and provide drive from defence (like Tom Stewart)
But they also had defenders who could lock down on an opponent and shut them out of the game.

You have to play for the Sydney Swans to get All Australian recognition as a true defender (Nick Smith, Dane Rampe, Craig Bolton)

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I just think it's a shame that the defenders who defend the best are generally ignored in All Australian discussions
I think there's room for 2 or 3 "zone off" rebounding types. But they always pick 4 (with another on the bench). It's overkill.

Look at EVERY premiership team: they had defenders who could intercept and provide drive from defence (like Tom Stewart)
But they also had defenders who could lock down on an opponent and shut them out of the game.

You have to play for the Sydney Swans to get All Australian recognition as a true defender (Nick Smith, Dane Rampe, Craig Bolton)

That’s a fair enough analysis.

What about a situation where you have two defenders going for the same spot: one is virtually impenetrable when the ball is coming in but offers nothing the other way, the other is not as watertight but is still very good one on one, and has an attacking side as well

Sheppard got in a few years ago
Rampe has been AA as well hasn't he?

Good medium defenders do get picked just not often enough. In reality every team has someone fill this role and clubs pay the best if these guys alot. They will often finish high in club b&fs as well, so they are rated just not put on a pedestal by the media like rebounding more attacking types. The irony is these guys wouldn't have the freedom to play the way they are without your Maynards, Hardwicks and Rampes putting in the work defensively.

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is this one pretty close?

Sicily Taylor Saad
Sinclair May Brayshaw
Mcluggage Oliver Mills
Heeney Cameron Bolton
Cameron Curnow Hawkins
Gawn Brayshaw Neale

Bench Trac Touk Blicavs Bont

Squad of 40

Backs Stewart Docherty Wilkie Dawson Rioli Andrews

Mids Viney Cripps Rozee Libba Laird Walsh Macrae

Rucks Witts

Forwards Stengle Fritsch Moore Wright
Good squad, will be close to the official one I reckon.

I would still have Stewart in (probably in place of Saad) and replace Bont with Cripps on the bench.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maynard Moore Howe and Daicos. All should be in.
I'd definitely consider Maynard and Daicos now - having excellent seasons. Not this year for Moore I wouldn't have thought.

Howe is a genuinely bizarre suggestion though.

Rioli 25 disposals attacking run, 2 goals who is doing that as a half-back in the game?
FWIW, I'd nearly have Rioli in the squad, but those are odd stats to make an argument with. Just about every player he's competing with for a half-back spot averages more possessions than that, and nine goals for the season is pretty negligible.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Lynch has had an aa-quality year, but aa is a relative to your peers award

who is he displacing out of hawkins curnow cameron?

Hawkins is the most likely to drop of the 3 imo. Probably will still get in though.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
FWIW, I'd nearly have Rioli in the squad, but those are odd stats to make an argument with. Just about every player he's competing with for a half-back spot averages more possessions than that, and nine goals for the season is pretty negligible.

If you nearly have him in the squad, it means he’s currently in there. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Aug 20, 2013
FB: Stewart ~ May ~ Saad
HB: Sinclair ~ Sicily ~ Mills
C: McCluggage ~ Oliver ~ Blicavs
HF: Petracca ~ Curnow ~ Bolton
FF: Cameron ~ Hawkins ~ Cameron
R: Gawn ~ Neale ~ Andrew Brayshaw
INT: Miller ~ Bontompelli ~ Heeney ~ Rozee

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynch takes big marks inside fifty without cheating & pushing his opponent in the back & out of the contest
giphy.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back