HB: Brayden Maynard - Sam Taylor - Jack Sinclair
C: Touk Miller - Andrew Brayshaw - Callum Mills
HF: Shai Bolton - Tom Hawkins - Christian Petracca
FF: Charlie Cameron - Charlie Curnow - Jeremy Cameron
RR: Max Gawn - Clayton Oliver - Lachie Neale
IC: Mark Blicavs - Isaac Heeney - Patrick Cripps - Jordan Dawson

Out: Connor Rozee (unlucky)
In: Brayden Maynard

Feel like the balance of the team looks a bit better now. Maynard gets in as the one small defender who plays a lockdown role.

If Cripps misses the last two due to suspension, he quite possibly drops back out. If Melbourne misses top-four, then one of May and Gawn may be in jeopardy, though there's not an immense amount of competition for those places currently.

By team:

Adelaide: 1
Brisbane: 2
Carlton: 2
Collingwood: 1
Essendon: 0
Fremantle: 1
Geelong: 4
GWS: 1
Gold Coast: 1
Hawthorn: 1
Melbourne: 4
North Melbourne: 0
Port Adelaide: 0
Richmond: 1
St Kilda: 1
Sydney: 2
West Coast: 0
Western Bulldogs: 0

I don't want to be the guy championing my own teams player, but I'm asking this question genuinely.

Is Maynard more appropriate for the 'small lockdown defender' in this years All Australian team than Blake Hardwick? There was a stat going around recently about how he has been blanketing the best small forwards in the comp and he just added another one on Saturday in Rankine.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I don't want to be the guy championing my own teams player, but I'm asking this question genuinely.

Is Maynard more appropriate for the 'small lockdown defender' in this years All Australian team than Blake Hardwick? There was a stat going around recently about how he has been blanketing the best small forwards in the comp and he just added another one on Saturday in Rankine.
I doubt we would get 2 into the backline

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
I don't think anyone here cares what you think of the key forward front. Your man ain't getting in, and rightly so.
So the Coleman medalist should get in unless it’s jack Riewoldt, and the player with the best average should get in unless it’s jack Riewoldt

I know Tom lynch is not getting in, he would though if he played for Geelong

Great player who's having a good year, but it's a hard sell fitting two defenders from a team that's conceded the fifth most points for the season.

Maynard has had a fairly comparable year, at least from what I've seen, and they're gonna have to fit a Collingwood player in there somewhere.

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
eth-dog can you give me a goals + assists + RFC fans reach arounds top 10.
Reckon that'll get Lynch to no.1 and in the team.

Just use any random stat to make sure lynch does not make it

Make sure you do not use goals per game . Definitely don’t use contested marks per game because lynch has taken more than any other player in the last decade

Better still just be honest , say you hate Richmond and that’s the reason

At least the last reason is the truth

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur

Make sure you do not use goals per game . Definitely don’t use contested marks per game because lynch has taken more than any other player in the last decade

If Lynch plays the whole season he probably gets in. A 0.2 goal a game difference isn't enough to make up for the fact he has missed 4 games

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
If Lynch plays the whole season he probably gets in. A 0.2 goal a game difference isn't enough to make up for the fact he has missed 4 games
But Tom Stewart has missed the same amount of games . So he misses out as well ? Or does that rule only apply to Tom lynch ?

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hardwick couldn't even make the All Australian Under 22 team back in 2018 and 2019 as a 21/22 year old despite finishing runner up in our best and fairest award behind the Brownlow Medalist. The numpty selectors thought Essendon duo Andy McGrath and Connor McKenna were better options :drunk::drunk::drunk:

Unfortunately these awards are all about media hype and the groundswell of opinion (i.e. more hype)
It's all about having nob-ends like Dwayne Russell, David King, Kane Cornes and Luke Darcy pushing your AA barrow throughout the year

Blake Hardwick is destined to play 250 solid games for the Hawks and never receive any individual accolades. He is just like Brent Guerra from 2008 to 2013. Owning his patch of turf in defence... Highly valued by his coaches and teammates and Hawks fans. Ignored by everyone else. One day, maybe 2 or 3 years from now, he will make the AA40 squad. But that will be all.

Let the dumbass AA selection committee have their flashy favourites... It ultimately means nothing.

Last edited:
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

He doesn’t have to.

He’s not getting in stats or no stats and I’m actually happy that you’re going to spend every moment from September 2022 until September 2023 upset about it

May 28, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Rams, Lakers, Rabbitohs
Not enough Rory Laird love in here. He’s not your empty stats midfielder, he tackles, runs both ways and is in incredible form lately. Even managed to get on the scoreboard twice yesterday

Noidnadroj

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Absolutely agree. Daicos reads the play beautifully for intercepting and is far better in traffic. Rioli is just a budget Bailey Dale getting handball receives and distributing but to a lesser standard.

Rioli gets 26% of his possessions in a contest and goes at DE 83%. Daicos 23% in a contest and goes at 77%.

Rioli also has 27% of his touches as intercepts. Daicos is 20% intercepts.

Daicos gets more touches and Rioli more goals and goal assists. Rioli has also performed many shut down roles this season… not sure Daicos has been given the job on many dangerous forwards - I haven’t seen him defend a contest many times, but that’s for the Pie supporters to report on?

Daicos has been superb this season, as has Rioli. I don’t think either will make the final team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Noidnadroj

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Not in the top 10 half backs in the comp this year.

Saad, Docherty, Butler, Redman, Dale, Cummings, H.Young, N.Daicos, Angus Brayshaw, Lloyd have all had better years than Daniel. Has improved exponentially but let's not get carried away with being in AA conversation.

Who is Butler? And Lloyd has been bog average this season. Good post though ….

Noidnadroj

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Have you seen any Collingwood games genius? Daicos has him covered in almost every area, possessions, rebounds, meters gained. Daicos is a running machine, runs harder than anyone in the 2nd place side.

So every area except :

Goals
Goal assists
Disposal efficiency
Score involvements
Intercept possessions
Marks
Contested marks

*Daicos does have him covered in turnovers … as in Daicos averages more.

So he has him covered in every area except those… ok, gotcha.

Noidnadroj

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Round 21 update:

FB: Tom Stewart - Steven May - James Sicily
HB: Brayden Maynard - Sam Taylor - Jack Sinclair
C: Touk Miller - Andrew Brayshaw - Callum Mills
HF: Shai Bolton - Tom Hawkins - Christian Petracca
FF: Charlie Cameron - Charlie Curnow - Jeremy Cameron
RR: Max Gawn - Clayton Oliver - Lachie Neale
IC: Mark Blicavs - Isaac Heeney - Patrick Cripps - Jordan Dawson

Out: Connor Rozee (unlucky)
In: Brayden Maynard

Feel like the balance of the team looks a bit better now. Maynard gets in as the one small defender who plays a lockdown role.

If Cripps misses the last two due to suspension, he quite possibly drops back out. If Melbourne misses top-four, then one of May and Gawn may be in jeopardy, though there's not an immense amount of competition for those places currently.

By team:

Adelaide: 1
Brisbane: 2
Carlton: 2
Collingwood: 1
Essendon: 0
Fremantle: 1
Geelong: 4
GWS: 1
Gold Coast: 1
Hawthorn: 1
Melbourne: 4
North Melbourne: 0
Port Adelaide: 0
Richmond: 1
St Kilda: 1
Sydney: 2
West Coast: 0
Western Bulldogs: 0

Tom Stewart is a gun but has missed 5 games and was injured early against Dogs … so has really missed 6 games. (He was pretty average on the weekend as well).

I don’t mind players missing a few games getting in, but missing 6 and making the team is a bit ridiculous.

Noidnadroj

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
He is going to be there and he’d be the first picked in that position. Wouldn’t be one player I’d be picking over him. The second position is tougher and there’s a bunch of them all deserving.

So if he’d missed 8 games is he in? He’d be my first HBF picked in my side too … but not in a side that is picked specifically to represent the 2022 H&A season … of which he will have missed 6 games out of only 22. 18+ games would be my cut-off … unless you kick 117 goals in 16 games like a Gazza of Lockett.

I’ll be surprised if he’s in the team.

So if he’d missed 8 games is he in? He’d be my first HBF picked in my side too … but not in a side that is picked specifically to represent the 2022 H&A season … of which he will have missed 6 games out of only 22. 18+ games would be my cut-off … unless you kick 117 goals in 16 games like a Gazza of Lockett.

I’ll be surprised if he’s in the team.

He’s literally been close to Geelongs best defender in a side that has been an outstanding defence you are nuts to think that not one Cats defender is being picked. Stewart gets picked on performance anyway. Complete lottery the other one. About 6-8 chances and all are even.

blaisee

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
None
Hardwick couldn't even make the All Australian Under 22 team back in 2018 and 2019 as a 21/22 year old despite finishing runner up in our best and fairest award behind the Brownlow Medalist. The numpty selectors thought Essendon duo Andy McGrath and Connor McKenna were better options :drunk::drunk::drunk:

Unfortunately these awards are all about media hype and the groundswell of opinion (i.e. more hype)
It's all about having nob-ends like Dwayne Russell, David King, Kane Cornes and Luke Darcy pushing your AA barrow throughout the year

Blake Hardwick is destined to play 250 solid games for the Hawks and never receive any individual accolades. He is just like Brent Guerra from 2008 to 2013. Owning his patch of turf in defence... Highly valued by his coaches and teammates and Hawks fans. Ignored by everyone else. One day, maybe 2 or 3 years from now, he will make the AA40 squad. But that will be all.

Let the dumbass AA selection committee have their flashy favourites... It ultimately means nothing.

Do you want hear something funny .

Shai Bolton didn’t make it either , do you know who got his spot , miers from Geelong .

This. Is not a joke

Oct 2, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
He’s literally been close to Geelongs best defender in a side that has been an outstanding defence you are nuts to think that not one Cats defender is being picked. Stewart gets picked on performance anyway. Complete lottery the other one. About 6-8 chances and all are even.
There have been a lot of great defenders this year who haven't missed 6 games and been average in others.

He should make the squad but saying he is a lock is basing it off reputation rather than his performances compared to other defenders across the 21 rounds so far.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Welcome to the plight of the small defender. Nick Smith was one of the best small lockdown defenders and never made an AA team only made 1 AA.

Last edited:
Back