AFLW 2022 All-Australian team/squad

Remove this Banner Ad

OFFICIAL 2022 AFLW ALL-AUSTRALIAN TEAM

OFFICIAL 2022 AFLW ALL-AUSTRALIAN SQUAD

Adelaide: Sarah Allan, Anne Hatchard, Eloise Jones, Ebony Marinoff, Erin Phillips, Ashleigh Woodland
Brisbane: Emily Bates, Greta Bodey, Natalie Grider, Orla O'Dwyer
Carlton: Kerryn Harrington, Mimi Hill, Breann Moody
Collingwood: Jaimee Lambert, Ruby Schleicher
Fremantle: Ebony Antonio, Kiara Bowers, Hayley Miller
Geelong: Amy McDonald, Maddy McMahon
Gold Coast: Tara Bohanna
GWS: Cora Staunton
Melbourne: Libby Birch, Tyla Hanks, Tayla Harris, Shelley Heath, Kate Hore, Daisy Pearce, Lauren Pearce
North Melbourne: Jasmine Garner, Emma Kearney, Ashleigh Riddell
Richmond: Katie Brennan, Monique Conti, Rebecca Miller
St Kilda: Tilly Lucas-Rodd
West Coast: Emma Swanson
Western Bulldogs: Ellie Blackburn, Kirsty Lamb, Bonnie Toogood

SELECTORS
Nicole Livingstone (chair), Andrew Dillon, Laura Kane, Brad Scott, Sam Virgo, Narelle Smith, Kelli Underwood, Sarah Black, Megan Waters, Tim Harrington

Original OP Post:

Halfway point of the season, sorta. Here's my stab at it.

Team
DEF: S Allan ADE, R Schleicher COL, E Kearney NM, L Birch MEL, N Grider BL
MID: L Pearce MEL, A Hatchard ADE, A Riddell NM, E Bates BL, K Bowers FRE, H Miller FRE
FWD: E Antonio FRE, T Bohanna GC, G Bodey BL, T Harris MEL, A Woodland ADE
INT: M McMahon GEE, J Lambert COL, J Garner NM, E Phillips ADE, K Brennan RIC

Phillips and Garner could've made it easier by kicking straight yesterday. Ultimately their cometh-the-moment stuff against top teams is what stands out from the rest. Lauren Pearce and Breann Moody is the closest call atm, resolved by working backwards from Melbourne deserving 3 in the 21.

Squad
ADE: E Jones, E Marinoff
BL: A Anderson, O O'Dwyer
CAR: B Moody, M Prespakis
COL: B Bonnici
FRE: G Houghton
GEE: A McDonald
GC: C Rowbottom
GWS: A Eva, A Parker
MEL: T Hanks, S Lampard
NM: J Bruton
RIC: M Conti
STK: B Jakobsson
WCE: E Swanson
WB: E Blackburn, K Lamb

That comes to 41, with a Saints or Eagles player to be dropped tomorrow night depending on the result between their match. Going back-and-forth on Conti, about whom it could be argued I've always overlooked in the past simply due to my own impossibly high expectations of her.

Last edited:
None of the forwards are even verging on lockworthy, except Antonio who's a utility anyway.

Bohanna had 1 disposal vs GWS and 2 vs Melbourne. Scrapes in for now on the back of two performances against one-win teams.

The Saints defence have been under the most pressure and bombardments in the league, Priest and Jakobsson have been a wall and I dare say haven't been beaten individually.

People/media like selecting players who are surrounded by good teams, unfortunately, not necessarily the best individual.

People/media like selecting players who are surrounded by good teams, unfortunately, not necessarily the best individual.
Not true. Meg McDonald, Monique Conti, Georgia Patrikios and Katie Brennan all made AA last year despite their respective teams going 3-6 or worse.

Whereas Angela Foley, Breanna Koenen, Dakota Davidson, Tyla Hanks, Gemma Houghton and Kate Hore all missed out on AA last year despite their respective teams going 6-3 or better.

From everything I saw, the only person who advocated for the exclusion of the former group of players and the inclusion of the latter... was me! It's a team game, and even the individual awards should reflect that imo.

Also, if players like Meg McDonald and Hannah Priest weren't so unreliable with ball in hand, they'd have to do a lot less defending and their teams would win more games of football.

Not true. Meg McDonald, Monique Conti, Georgia Patrikios and Katie Brennan all made AA last year despite their respective teams going 3-6 or worse.

Whereas Angela Foley, Breanna Koenen, Dakota Davidson, Tyla Hanks, Gemma Houghton and Kate Hore all missed out on AA last year despite their respective teams going 6-3 or better.

From everything I saw, the only person who advocated for the exclusion of the former group of players and the inclusion of the latter... was me! It's a team game, and even the individual awards should reflect that imo.

Also, if players like Meg McDonald and Hannah Priest weren't so unreliable with ball in hand, they'd have to do a lot less defending and their teams would win more games of football.

Yeah I agree with most of that, and I'm not just talking about the AFLW.

You had me up until the Priest comment. Unreliable with ball is not a term for Priest at all, if anything she's super reliable. Her efficiency is lower this season, mostly kicking longer and the rest of the team lets her down. She's solid AF, pardon the language.

You had me up until the Priest comment. Unreliable with ball is not a term for Priest at all, if anything she's super reliable. Her efficiency is lower this season, mostly kicking longer and the rest of the team lets her down.
I think the only time she kicked it to a teammate's advantage last night (popping it up to Greiser in the pocket) resulted in a goal, so idk where you're getting the idea about being let down by her team. A more typical example of her ball use was with 2:30 left in Q4, when she blazed away and floated it way over Greiser's head for an easy intercept mark, blowing a perfect chance for the Saints to hit the lead.

no way jasmine garner starts on the bench
No way you can come up with a suggestion of who to swap her with...

Can’t pick too many holes in that team. Are there too many tall forwards, should the team have another smaller forward.
I actually don’t think any of the genuine small forwards could displace those but I’d consider putting Hanks in there as she does spend some minutes forward most quarters.

TEAM (21)
B: Birch Kearney
HB: Allan Schleicher Grider
C: E Antonio Bowers O'Dwyer
HF: Miller Phillips Brennan
F: Bohanna Harris
R: Moody Marinoff Riddell
INT: Hatchard Tighe Drennan Blackburn Garner

SQUAD (21)
ADE: Jones, Woodland
BL: Bates, Bodey
CAR: Prespakis
COL: Bonnici, Lambert
FRE: O'Sullivan
GEE: A.McDonald, McMahon
GC: Rowbottom
GWS: Eva, Parker
MEL: Lampard, Mithen, L.Pearce
NM: Bruton
RIC: Conti, Seymour
STK: Nil
WCE: Swanson
WB: Lamb

Unfortunate: Anderson (BL), Svarc (BL), Barr (GWS), Hanks (Mel), Paxman (Mel), Seymour (RIC), Hooker (WC), Toogood (WB)

O'Dwyer most metres gained per game, and tried to get a true wing in the 21.
Tighe has been exceptional down back for us so I think she will be in before season's end.

TEAM (21)
B: Birch Kearney
HB: Allan Schleicher Grider
C: E Antonio Bowers O'Dwyer
HF: Miller Phillips Brennan
F: Bohanna Harris
R: Moody Marinoff Riddell
INT: Hatchard Tighe Drennan Blackburn Garner

SQUAD (21)
ADE: Jones, Woodland
BL: Bates, Bodey
CAR: Prespakis
COL: Bonnici, Lambert
FRE: O'Sullivan
GEE: A.McDonald, McMahon
GC: Rowbottom
GWS: Eva, Parker
MEL: Lampard, Mithen, L.Pearce
NM: Bruton
RIC: Conti, Seymour
STK: Nil
WCE: Swanson
WB: Lamb

Unfortunate: Anderson (BL), Svarc (BL), Barr (GWS), Hanks (Mel), Paxman (Mel), Seymour (RIC), Hooker (WC), Toogood (WB)

O'Dwyer most metres gained per game, and tried to get a true wing in the 21.
Tighe has been exceptional down back for us so I think she will be in before season's end.
How does Bates not make the team she’s a massive chance in the MVP

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are there too many tall forwards, should the team have another smaller forward.
In some respects, although Bodey and Woodland mostly play like small forwards despite appearances. At least one of Harris, Brennan and Bohanna will likely cool off in the last month to open up another spot and potentially allow for better balance.

I'd probably have Kate Hore next in line at the moment, albeit reluctantly because a) she's not a pure small forward either; and b) she's playing well below what I think she's capable of.

7 games down for each team now. This is how I've got the spots currently split up:

5 players (3 team + 2 squad) - ADE, FRE, NM, MEL
4 players (3 team + 1 squad) - BL
3 players (2 team + 1 squad) - COL
3 players (1 team + 2 squad) - WB
3 players (0 team + 3 squad) - GC, GWS
2 players (1 team + 1 squad) - RIC, CAR
0 players (0 team + 0 squad) - GEE, WCE, STK

Team
MID: L Pearce MEL, A Hatchard ADE, A Riddell NM, E Bates BL, K Bowers FRE, H Miller FRE
FWD: E Antonio FRE, T Harris MEL, J Garner NM, G Bodey BL, A Woodland ADE
I/C: N Ferres WB, B Moody CAR, J Lambert COL, TBD TBD, K Brennan RIC

Out: M McMahon GEE, T Bohanna GC, E Phillips ADE

Squad
BL: O O'Dwyer
CAR: M Prespakis
FRE: L Pugh, A Tighe
GEE:
GC: L Ahrens, T Bohanna, C Rowbottom
GWS: A Eva, A Parker, C Staunton
MEL: T Hanks, K Paxman
NM: B Brown, J Bruton
STK:
WCE:

I could justify keeping Phillips in the squad, but I doubt we'll see much of her in the next 3 rounds, so why not cut to the chase. Bowers' season hasn't been derailed to the same worrying extent, and thus remains in my team until (if) it appears otherwise.

Haven't figured out who else to elevate from the squad to the team (the above has 20 players in each). It should probably be one of the Dogs mids--maybe even both at the expense of Lambert, depending on how Sunday's game pans out. Would've liked to squeeze Toogood into the squad but 7.9 (plus an out on the full) has her, well, just missing.

Same goes for Kate Hore (7.10). Instead the 5th Dee I've gone with is Paxman, who appears to be overcoming her turf toe issue. I've kept Lauren Pearce in the ruck, but used a spot on the bench for Breann Moody too.

Lauren Bella's contribution beyond hitouts is a long way off the level required at this stage. Often a liability imo. Not among my next 2 or 3 rucks in line.

Wouldn't be unprecedented for her to get in the squad or even the team though. She'd at least be more deserving than Erin McKinnon in 2018.

Nice to see Brooke Brown getting noticed, even if it by a fellow Shinboner. She has been brilliant down back this season and is improving with every game.

7 games down for each team now. This is how I've got the spots currently split up:

5 players (3 team + 2 squad) - ADE, FRE, NM, MEL
4 players (3 team + 1 squad) - BL
3 players (2 team + 1 squad) - COL
3 players (1 team + 2 squad) - WB
3 players (0 team + 3 squad) - GC, GWS
2 players (1 team + 1 squad) - RIC, CAR
0 players (0 team + 0 squad) - GEE, WCE, STK

Team
FWD: E Antonio FRE, T Harris MEL, J Garner NM, G Bodey BL, A Woodland ADE
I/C: N Ferres WB, B Moody CAR, J Lambert COL, TBD TBD, K Brennan RIC

Out: M McMahon GEE, T Bohanna GC, E Phillips ADE

Squad
BL: O O'Dwyer
CAR: M Prespakis
FRE: L Pugh, A Tighe
GEE:
GC: L Ahrens, T Bohanna, C Rowbottom
GWS: A Eva, A Parker, C Staunton
MEL: T Hanks, K Paxman
NM: B Brown, J Bruton
STK:
WCE:

I could justify keeping Phillips in the squad, but I doubt we'll see much of her in the next 3 rounds, so why not cut to the chase. Bowers' season hasn't been derailed to the same worrying extent, and thus remains in my team until (if) it appears otherwise.

Haven't figured out who else to elevate from the squad to the team (the above has 20 players in each). It should probably be one of the Dogs mids--maybe even both at the expense of Lambert, depending on how Sunday's game pans out. Would've liked to squeeze Toogood into the squad but 7.9 (plus an out on the full) has her, well, just missing.

Same goes for Kate Hore (7.10). Instead the 5th Dee I've gone with is Paxman, who appears to be overcoming her turf toe issue. I've kept Lauren Pearce in the ruck, but used a spot on the bench for Breann Moody too.

Bowers gone now from AA consideration with her injury :(
Marinoff into the side I would suggest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back