Fantasy 2022 - ALPHA League - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly think it’s an opportunity to actually reset quite a large swathe of items in the league.

Wouldn’t turn down a keeper-Esque year with a wide open draft with people keeping say 8 OPs and then randomising the draft order or something given the turnover.
No wonder the league has lost some long timers and newcomers dropping out too. The format is outdated and not that interesting anymore for even new people. Been saying it for years the league needed to change. This is what happens when you don't.

Like you said, with such a high turnover now of old timers, there's no reason to harp on posterity and maintaining it, we've lost more than half of the old timers now.

If the league goes on, it'll need newcomers, and they and us need engaging things to keep them all interested.

NDG is the goat, and others have done well. But maybe time to start an Alpha version 2.0 phase?

The past not stricken from history. Just reinvigorate the league, the parity, by doing either a) a new 34 round draft from scratch, or b) only 16 keepers and do a 16 round draft, kinda a compromise, existing dynasties still have all their good work over the years rewarded and existing s**t teams still have their holes carried forward, but allowing 16 keepers only to create new parity opportunity.

Either a) or b) only for this next year, and back to 6 round drafts after.

Any such ideas are much easier to do now on Fleaflicker, drafts done on site, flexible commish rules etc.

We can do that "and/or" people can keep their rosters in tact, but just freshen up the rules, shake up roster sizes, starting numbers, reduce QBs, overhaul scoring, go with DSTs or keep IDPs, etc, and any other bald new ideas people may have.

It needs a refresh, however... Need to keep in mind those who hang around who made decisions last season on rosters/future draft picks.
I love Alpha, even though I've made some appalling decisions when it comes to trading and drafting, but feel I've struck the balance between trying to stay relevant and competitive, whilst also trying to improve my list during the offseason.
I think having the ability to start 3 QBs is too much... with 12 teams playing many who are struck down through either mismanagement, bad luck (injuries or poor form) are at a major disadvantage. I'd suggest reducing the number of starting QBs to 2, with max 3 QBs on the roster, but also adding a Taxi Squad to allow for 1 or 2 rookie QBs to be stashed.
In regards to keepers... I think we have too many season to season. I'd much prefer to have the number of keepers set to whatever the starting squad is plus say 8 or 10 bench players only. Everyone else goes into the pool for draft/free agency.
I prefer IDPs over DST squads
In terms of scoring, I don't mind how it is currently, but am open to suggestions for improvement.

Yeah I’m now open to increasing defensive scoring as it’s virtually redundant. I’d say to the level we currently have on Empire now.

Agree with PB, just way too many QBs has killed it as well. Only very minor reduction to bench though because this is a league where you draft for future success. But you need a level where there’s something on waivers

A little bump to IDP, yeh, happy with that. And maybe less keepers also, maybe would open up the draft pool. No issue with Taxi squad either, like that option as gives you a year to evaluate.

GG.exe should be able to set lineups with commish powers. Lenny has checked out already and is leaving, he doesnt set lineups in Empire and has caused issues there and wants to keep playing there, so hardly think he is bothered here.

Not sure I appreciate that comment manureid, I've explained myself in the Empire thread several times and there's no need to bring it up again. Read my last post in there.

I'd actually already updated my lineup in Alpha a few hours ago so try not stir up s**t that isn't necessary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In regards to IDP scoring changes, i unbiasedly believe my Omega scoring is the best system by far (for IDPs). Because Fleaflicker has by far better scoring options than even MFL has, and MFL for IDPs has its bad flaws that is seeking change for next season. Have a look at the IDP scoring, link below....

Scoring · Omega League · NFL

Or look at the Players page of just the top scoring IDPs....

Ignore the offensive scoring rules there because i would keep offensive scoring untouched on Alpha, just implement Omega's IDP and Kicker scoring.

Thinking deeply on all the problems with Alpha, decide on the following issues....to be implemented for 2023 if league goes ahead.....

a) Omega IDP scoring + keep Alpha offensive scoring? .... Or keep Alpha scoring unchanged? ... Keep in mind, when alpha started 20 years ago there werent options like hits, hurries, etc, so theres a lot of things IDPs are missing out on in Alpha's 20 yo scoring system that FF in 2022 offers.

b) Active roster size from 40 to 38? 36? 34? .... Remember, keepers would always be less 6 of whatever preferred active roster we had. If 38 active, 32 keepers. If 36 active, 30 keepers, etc.

c) Rookie only Taxi Squad, max 6 or 7 or 8 or 9? .... Or no Taxi Squad?

d) IR increase from 4 to 9, but only IR and Suspended allowed on IR, no Outs? .....Or ..... keep as is, 4 IR with Outs included?

e) Offensive Starters -- QB x1, QRWT Flex x1, RB x2, WR x2, TE x1, RWT Flex x1, K x1 .... or ..... QB x2, RB x1, WR x2, TE x1, RWT Flex x2 .

f) Defensive Starters....keep as is, DL x2, DB x2, LB x2.... or .... IL x1, Edge x1, LB x2, CB x1, S x1, IDP Flex x2

g) Max allowed per positions.....QB 4, RB 6 or 8, WR 6 or 8, TE 6, K 2, DL 6, LB 6, DB 6 ..... or IL 6, Edge 6, LB 6, CB 6, S 6..... or .... IL 4, Edge 4, LB 8, CB 4, S 4 ....so IL/Edge and CB/S together max 8 same as LB, not 12 possible IL/Edge and only 6 LB, or max 10 vs max 5 LB like it is currently......also note that starters could remain DL, LB, DB all by 2 or could go to IL, Edge CB, S whether or not we tweaked max positions allowed of individual IL, Edge, Cb, S.

h) Keep waivers as is, go to last in queue ..... or ..... For parity reasons, worst current record always picks first, best current record always picks last.

i) schedule back to 14 weeks, and have an extra week of playoffs by allowing 6 teams to enter playoffs (3 div winners + 3 WCs, 1st and 2nd seed get first round bye) .....or ......keep as is, 15 week schedule with 4 playoff teams.

Tbh, i reckon Omegas offensive scoring is also perfect alongside the defensive scoring. How all the players at various O and D positions sit in the rankings. But anyway....
Omega is quite s**t. I left because it was too defensive based. Too many times has ordinary rubbish defenders scoring nearly same as good above average offensive players

Omega is quite s**t. I left because it was too defensive based. Too many times has ordinary rubbish defenders scoring nearly same as good above average offensive players
s**t CBs getting targetted getting points for tackles.

s**t CBs getting targetted getting points for tackles.
Well yeah that’s the biggest problem in all IDPs, that’s why I’d have DBs lowest of all positions. But in Omega it was more.. some non DBs were getting ridiculous numbers and off players not enough…which may have been changed since I left.

That was the old Omega on Espn.

Ff omega is very different, scoring rules were completely overhauled.

As for CBs, in new omega the good CBs get rewarded for being less targeted and giving up less completions, and bad CBs get penalized for being targeted heaps or giving up heaps of completions.

fF has better scoring scoring options.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back